Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lone Ranger

I am anxiously awaiting the opening of The Lone Ranger, the most expensive western ever filmed, with a budget of$250 million. I have read up on the movie here and there and the word is to not be put off by the wild looking headress (a stuffed crow) that Depp wears in his role as Tonto as it actually has significance in the story.

If the younger generation buys into this movie, it could start a new era of westerns more in tune with today's thinking. For me, Clayton Moore will always be the real Lone Ranger, though.

...Hoping for more than mediocrity.
    We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Re: The Lone Ranger

I'm concerned about the Lone Ranger, specifically its target audience. Modern teens don't exactly see an ad for it and say: Wow it's that obscure cultural icon my grandparents loved back in the 1950's! I've got to see this!... and it's gonna be a watered-down DISNEY remake to boot!!!!

Plus "Desert films" have a 95% chance of becoming a BO disaster (Sahara, John Carter, Cowboys and Aliens, Prince of Persia, the last 100 western flicks) The desert environment is just so DRY, lifeless, empty, boring as hell. Who wants to sit through this for 2+ hrs?

Contrast that with the lush environments of Avatar and you see why it trumped the aforementioned desert flicks by a factor of twenty to one.
    Sticking with Borough's, I think a TARZAN remake staring Johnny Depp would be a cool idea.
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
      I'm concerned about the Lone Ranger, specifically its target audience. Modern teens don't exactly see an ad for it and say: Wow it's that obscure cultural icon my grandparents loved back in the 1950's! I've got to see this!... and it's gonna be a watered-down DISNEY remake to boot!!
      http://variety.com/2013/film/news/di...ro-1200501501/

"While "Lone Ranger's- U.S. box office prospects appear promising - the film has even tested well with teens and tweens who see it as a kind of "Pirates of the Caribbean- set in the Old West - it could face a major hurdle overseas where, despite Depp's global appeal, audiences are less familiar with or fond of American Westerns."

Comment

I hope the final film is better than the script that has been in circulation for a while, which was basically "Tonto and His Sidekick, The Lone Ranger."

If nothing else, the visuals in the trailers look appealing.
        Last edited by karsten; 06-29-2013, 04:53 AM.

Comment

The TV ad' sells Johnny Depp in make-up... which isn't enough. Not for me, at least.

I vaguely recall some b/w programme called The Lone Ranger when I was small, so was interested in it for that reason alone, but I can't think of a decent cowboy/Western film that's been made in the past twenty years (note: The Good, The Bad, The Weird was Korean, and Dynamite Warrior, Thai, so hardly from the West, even if technically Westerns).

All that said, unless someone tells me it's awesome, I'll skip it.

At the end of the day, a man in a mask on horse-back isn't such a great hook.
          Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Out.Of.The.Park...

Comment

Long Before "The Lone Ranger"

Someone else demonstrated what the well-dressed "Redman" wore on his noggin.
              JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

$250 million budget?!

No way this turns a profit. I'm saying it now. Absolutely no chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                  $250 million budget?!

No way this turns a profit. I'm saying it now. Absolutely no chance.
                  That does seem high. I'd hazard a guess that a fair chunk of that is legacy costs from the years (and years) of development -- though the filming budget for the final film must have been no small potatoes either.

Comment

Seems to me to be another ill-conceived remake of an old TV series. The original fans of Lone Ranger are baby boomers or older -- and have no interest in seeing a remake. And the brand means nothing at all to younger viewers. What's next: The Cisco Kid and Pancho?

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
                      Seems to me to be another ill-conceived remake of an old TV series. The original fans of Lone Ranger are baby boomers or older -- and have no interest in seeing a remake. And the brand means nothing at all to younger viewers. What's next: The Cisco Kid and Pancho?
                      I don't know about that. A lot of kids were re-introduced to the character back when Filmation ran its Tarzan/Lone Ranger/Zorro Adventure Hour on Saturday-morning TV, back in the '80s. So GenX at least will still have a direct connection to The Lone Ranger.

Plus, despite what others have said, I do think that the concept of the character is an exciting one -- a superhero of the 19th century, "Dark Knight on horseback."

Tdea of a remake is a good one, but the execution troubles me. There was too much of a Pirates of the Caribbean approach to the script that was being used before, and the trailers and publicity for the current incarnation suggest that one especially worrying problem from that script may have been held over: boosting the profile of Tonto at the expense of the title character.

I may actually see it, but I'm preparing for a disappointment.
                      Last edited by karsten; 07-01-2013, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                        I don't know about that. A lot of kids were re-introduced to the character back when Filmation ran its Tarzan/Lone Ranger/Zorro Adventure Hour on Saturday-morning TV, back in the '80. So GenX at least will still have a direct connection to The Lone Ranger.

Plus, despite what others have said, I do think that the concept of the character is an exciting one -- a superhero of the 19th century, "Dark Knight on horseback."

Tdea of a remake is a good one, but the execution troubles me. There was too much of a Pirates of the Caribbean approach to the script that was being used before, and the trailers and publicity for the current incarnation suggest that one especially worrying problem from that script may have been held over: boosting the profile of Tonto at the expense of the title character.

I may actually see it, but I'm preparing for a disappointment.
                        The Filmation show ran on CBS from 1980-1982, btw.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=I4_kt4spGzE

Boosting Tonto's profile might be troublesome, but, due to Johnny Depp being an Oscar nominee and making the character less of an racial stereotype and more of an equal partner,
                        it was a smart move (I actually met a guy who worked on the film as a PA while I was an extra on a now-canned TV show).

Though I'll wait for the DVD (currently, I'm between gigs), I'd go and see this since the 1981 version is still a bad taste in my mouth, let alone hard-core fans.

"The Dark Knight on horseback"? The Lone Ranger started as a radio drama, before TV.
                        Last edited by Madbandit; 07-02-2013, 01:39 AM.
                        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I think Larson was way ahead of everybody with his take on Tonto:

http://deskofbrian.com/wp-content/up...r-Far-Side.jpg
                          Last edited by Rantanplan; 07-01-2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I love Gary Larson. Sure do miss The Far Side.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post

I love Gary Larson. Sure do miss The Far Side.

Late Night Writer
                              Second that.
                              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
                              X