Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #41
JoeBanks
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,966
Default Re: Nicholl 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
Whoa. They had a record-breaking amount of entries this year. 7831. Kissing my chances goodbye!
The good news: 95-99% of those entries are probably not seriously in the professional ball park;

The bad news: it's really hard for any entrant to make their own script good enough to get in the top 1-5% (I say this as a writer who has never made semis or QF himself).
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:37 PM   #42
Merrick
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 175
Default Re: Nicholl 2020

Do you think the percentage is so high?

I assumed having spent 2 years on my entry [AKA nowhere near a first draft] that it's already in the top 2000 or so, but I imagine the higher you get, the fiercer the competition. At that point, it can be as much about what mood you get the reader(s) in, what time of day they read it, what's going on in the world at that current moment, etc.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I read in another thread where someone said they read for a 2nd tier competition, and the competition had trouble finding even 1 script that deserved to move onto the quarterfinals.

I did notice in Nicholl's judging requirements that "does your story have a clear beginning, middle, and end" is one of them. As well that "characters maintain a consistent tone of voice throughout the script." I mean, if they have to even include those, you can assume at least 1-2000 are immediately tossed in the bin.

One of PAGE's judging requirements is proper spelling and that you write in a 12 point font.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #43
DaltWisney
Member
 
DaltWisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 453
Default Re: Nicholl 2020

Wow, that's a staggering number of entries. Winning may be harder than ever, but placing could be easier. You could argue that "serious" writers were going to get their scripts in regardless of the pandemic situation and that a bump in entries may result in slightly lower quality on average, but it's likely a thin difference either way.

As mentioned previously, I've got three needles in that haystack. In hindsight I wish I'd had a little more time to tweak one of those scripts, as I don't think the draft submitted is the best draft, but so it goes...

$25k aside, it would seem like the main value of the competition for entrants is the possibility for reads/exposure, and even the QFs/SFs might offer some opportunities, so it's not all about being the last survivor on top of the mountain.
DaltWisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #44
figment
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 961
Default Re: Nicholl 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltWisney View Post
$25k aside, it would seem like the main value of the competition for entrants is the possibility for reads/exposure, and even the QFs/SFs might offer some opportunities, so it's not all about being the last survivor on top of the mountain.
35k, actually...
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #45
DaltWisney
Member
 
DaltWisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 453
Default Re: Nicholl 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
Do you think the percentage is so high?

I assumed having spent 2 years on my entry [AKA nowhere near a first draft] that it's already in the top 2000 or so, but I imagine the higher you get, the fiercer the competition. At that point, it can be as much about what mood you get the reader(s) in, what time of day they read it, what's going on in the world at that current moment, etc.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I read in another thread where someone said they read for a 2nd tier competition, and the competition had trouble finding even 1 script that deserved to move onto the quarterfinals.

I did notice in Nicholl's judging requirements that "does your story have a clear beginning, middle, and end" is one of them. As well that "characters maintain a consistent tone of voice throughout the script." I mean, if they have to even include those, you can assume at least 1-2000 are immediately tossed in the bin.

One of PAGE's judging requirements is proper spelling and that you write in a 12 point font.

I've had four scripts get top 15% (two in the top 10%) and I would say they were about the level of a 7 on the Black List. If you are getting 7s on your script then I think it has a pretty decent chance to get in the top 10-15%. There are enough solid scripts in the competition that you need to hit a fairly decent standard of craftsmanship to be competitive, IMO.

As with any other artistic endeavor, there's a lot of subjectivity involved. I read winners a couple years ago that I thought were worse than some of the QF/SF scripts. Bottom line is write something you're happy with and hope for the best with the variables you can't control.
DaltWisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #46
DaltWisney
Member
 
DaltWisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 453
Default Re: Nicholl 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
35k, actually...

I guess I'll be buying a Tesla instead of a Honda with my winnings.


Probably this one.
DaltWisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #47
Merrick
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 175
Default Re: Nicholl 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltWisney View Post
$25k aside, it would seem like the main value of the competition for entrants is the possibility for reads/exposure, and even the QFs/SFs might offer some opportunities, so it's not all about being the last survivor on top of the mountain.

Good call and what my hope is. I'm sure that winning is luck of the draw. Quality + luck + politics, etc.

Did I read right that if you make it to the QF or SF you have to submit longer personal documents like a bio and letter of intent and things like that? Or do I remember wrong? Is the entire process anonymous and only about the script? Or just the first round(s)?
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #48
acquaformosa
Regular
 
acquaformosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 340
Default Re: Nicholl 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
Good call and what my hope is. I'm sure that winning is luck of the draw. Quality + luck + politics, etc.

Did I read right that if you make it to the QF or SF you have to submit longer personal documents like a bio and letter of intent and things like that? Or do I remember wrong? Is the entire process anonymous and only about the script? Or just the first round(s)?
Unless it's changed, it's only when you reach the Finalists found (usually 10 scripts, give or take) that the extra documentation gets submitted so the committee can evaluate and discuss while they are selecting and awarding the Fellowships. That's how it happened to me (as a Finalist) many years ago.

Otherwise, I reckon it's all anonymous until the Finalist round.
acquaformosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:24 AM   #49
Merrick
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 175
Default Re: Nicholl 2020

That's cool. I really like the way the competition is run, seems fair all the way around. Did you win the fellowship or just make it as a finalist? Either way, congratulations, that's incredible.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #50
JKB
Regular
 
JKB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 279
Default Re: Nicholl 2020

Seconding acquformosa -- I've been a QF and top 10% and neither placement asked me to submit anything else. That doesn't happen until you're breathing really rarefied air.
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker