Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
Darthclaw13
Regular

Default The Man Who Invented Christmas

Hi everyone!

I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this film. I saw it a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

It is about when Charles Dickens wrote A Christmas Carol and it goes into his personal life. The agony of his childhood, his strained relationship with his parents (in particular his father), his fleeting success at the time right after Oliver Twist, his subsequent flops thereafter, monetary troubles because of those flops, and his terrible writer's block while working on the Scrooge story.

All the actors did well, except for a few who mumbled their lines. (seems to be a thing now where most films have many actors who barely open their mouths to speak their lines, diction folks...we need diction!)

As a writer I could definitely identify with Dickens while he was trying to write and so many interruptions happened right when he was really "getting the story". I can't tell you how often that happens to me (I live in a very noisy neighborhood and I swear elephants live above me stomping around all the time, lol)

It was refreshing to see the externalization of his characters working with him and challenging him during his process. Also his realization that he was more like old Scrooge than he wanted to admit.

I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys a "feel good" film or holiday film. Good for families as well.

Happy writing everyone!
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
Friday

Default Re: The Man Who Invented Christmas

I finally saw it. Seemed like everyone in the screening was a Charles Dickens fan. I kind of enjoyed it, though, personally, I was always more fascinated with what Dickens inspiration for Great Expectations was--that was the book I was really obsessed with. A Christmas Carol was my second favorite, but that was more straight forward and I knew how this movie would go. Though, I realize that A Christmas carol would have been an easier story to tell. But, I have always been curious where his inspiration for Estella and Miss Havisham came from---that was truly inspired.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
ComicBent

Quote:
... his fleeting success at the time right after Oliver Twist, his subsequent flops thereafter, monetary troubles because of those flops, and his terrible writer's block while working on the Scrooge story.
But he went on to become enormously successful. I know that Martin Chuzzlewit was not well received, but in general he raked in money.

Quote:
All the actors did well, except for a few who mumbled their lines. (seems to be a thing now where most films have many actors who barely open their mouths to speak their lines, diction folks...we need diction!)
I am glad to hear someone else say this. Sometimes when I am watching movies or things like The Walking Dead on my TV (a nice Sony), I wonder if I am going deaf. I lose phrases and sentences, for some reason. I have wondered if it is a production issue (microphones, maybe). But I do not have this problem in real life or with radio.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
billmarq
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBent View Post
I am glad to hear someone else say this. Sometimes when I am watching movies or things like The Walking Dead on my TV (a nice Sony), I wonder if I am going deaf. I lose phrases and sentences, for some reason. I have wondered if it is a production issue (microphones, maybe). But I do not have this problem in real life or with radio.
I have to turn on closed captioning when watching Elementary or I can understand only about half of what Sherlock says.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmarq View Post
I have to turn on closed captioning when watching Elementary or I can understand only about half of what Sherlock says.
I thought I was the only one. Thinking maybe, my device was off. That show seems muted, whereas some commercials blare at 3 times the level that jolts me.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
Darthclaw13
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
That show seems muted, whereas some commercials blare at 3 times the level that jolts me.
They do that on purpose.

Advertisers know most folks leave the room while the commercials are on (to go to the bathroom, get snacks, etc.) and they want to be sure you hear their commercial so it has become common place now that commercials play louder than the show you are watching. 'Cuz you know the whole world now has become an ad.

Not sure how it's actually done, but someone in the biz of advertising said they do that.

Personally, I hit the mute button when ads come on. I don't like commercials/ads. Some are funny yes, but most are designed to make you feel bad about yourself unless you get their product, and then magically you will have confidence, be a "better" person, be beautiful, be healthier, etc. Ugh!
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:12 AM   #7
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
They do that on purpose.

Advertisers know most folks leave the room while the commercials are on (to go to the bathroom, get snacks, etc.) and they want to be sure you hear their commercial so it has become common place now that commercials play louder than the show you are watching. 'Cuz you know the whole world now has become an ad.

Not sure how it's actually done, but someone in the biz of advertising said they do that.

Personally, I hit the mute button when ads come on. I don't like commercials/ads. Some are funny yes, but most are designed to make you feel bad about yourself unless you get their product, and then magically you will have confidence, be a "better" person, be beautiful, be healthier, etc. Ugh!
It annoys me because sometimes I play it at a certain level so as not to wake up a family member...then, it blares and wakes them up. It's usually the horrible commercials. The commercials that I love like Geico always have it at the appropriate level. It's the obnoxious boner pill commercials with that baseball player (where the women pretend he's hot even though he's not) and some of those late night commercials.