No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Passengers

Originally posted by absolutepower View Post
    I believe that it sold to Keanu Reeves' company. Reeves was to star, but found the material far too dark and opted out. Spaihts then left for what eventually became Prometheus.
    I remember this Black List script well-- dark, no, not really. It has a compelling premise, a strong moral dilema, and a good emotional story. There were areas in the middle that could benefit from a rewrite, imo, but overall felt it was a very good story-- with a Knowing-eske ending.

FA4
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

It's somewhat dark. For whatever reasons, it became darker as they rewrote it. I'm only providing the reasons he stated.

Comment

I don't recall anything dark about it. It was a very uplifting story, tbh.

Comment

KEANU:
          Jon, I really LOVE this script. But I can't make it. It's way too dark.

SPAIHTS:
          Um, you did The Matrix. That sh!t was way darker.

KEANU:
          Oh, yeah... I like, totally forgot about that, dude.

KEANU/SPAIHTS
          EXCELLENT!!!

We freeze on them, both mid air guitar.

From my understanding it was both SHADOW 19 and PASSENGERS that got him the room with Ridley. He also pitched the gist of PROMETHEUS on the fly during a general meeting. I think Shadow 19 was his first spec, which he rewrote something like 27 times. Crazy. I'm friends with him on Facebook. Seems like a really nice guy.
          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Initially I had some issues with this script, but over time I think really I only have one issue with it. It was an easy read, and it's a really great premise. My main beef is still the same -

SPOILER

The one guy who can fix the ship shows up just in time to fix it, then dies right after it's fixed. It's just too convenient for me. I think keeping him around a bit longer would have added some extra conflict.

But now, in my advancing age, I realize that's not enough of a reason to dislike an entire script. If the studio deemed it a problem, it's not a difficult fix.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
              Initially I had some issues with this script, but over time I think really I only have one issue with it. It was an easy read, and it's a really great premise. My main beef is still the same -

SPOILER

The one guy who can fix the ship shows up just in time to fix it, then dies right after it's fixed. It's just too convenient for me. I think keeping him around a bit longer would have added some extra conflict.

But now, in my advancing age, I realize that's not enough of a reason to dislike an entire script. If the studio deemed it a problem, it's not a difficult fix.
              Yes -- that was also one of my problems with it, that the hibernation pod of one of the only people -- of FIVE THOUSAND TOTAL -- who could diagnose and fix the problem with the ship happens to be the second to malfunction and prematurely awake the person inside. Also -- why isn't there at least one crew member (or a robot/android) around that is awake and ready to deal with ship problems should they arise? It's just too much of a stretch. That said, I really enjoyed the script -- one of the most entertaining I've read in a long time.

Comment

I would've preferred it if a killer got loose and then wakes people up, one by one, to hunt and kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                  I would've preferred it if a killer got loose and then wakes people up, one by one, to hunt and kill them.
                  I don't think Carson could have said it any better.
                  The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                    Shadow 19 is what put him on the map and jumpstarted his career. It got him the assignment for Keanu and the Alien prequel job.
                    Not sure what your thoughts are on it, but this is one of my favorite scripts. I'm reading it again just to get the feel of a great sci-fi script.

I would love to read Passengers, but...I don't have it and I'm not going to solicit for it.

He's one of my favorite writers though. Everything I've ever read from him has me on the first page.

Comment

Originally posted by zenplato View Post

I would love to read Passengers, but...I don't have it and I'm not going to solicit for it.
                      Google it. Easy enough to find.

Comment

it's a good script, but for me it has two huge problems: 1. the main character is boring. 2. the main character's decision to wake up the woman is an act that is morally questionable and egotistical, making me really not like him.

any movie with such a main character doesn't work

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
                          Google it. Easy enough to find.
                          Well...that's embarrassing as an IT guy.

Never mind...there's nothing to see here. As you were,

Comment

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
                            it's a good script, but for me it has two huge problems: 1. the main character is boring. 2. the main character's decision to wake up the woman is an act that is morally questionable and egotistical
                            That was an intrinsic part of the script.

Umm, what?
                            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
                              it's a good script, but for me it has two huge problems: 1. the main character is boring. 2. the main character's decision to wake up the woman is an act that is morally questionable and egotistical, making me really not like him.

That's the entire hook of the movie, though. Do you live out your remaining life alone or do you wake someone else up, essentially dooming them to your own fate?

It's not morally questionable. It's a moral question. And it's one the protag struggles with, making the story all the more compelling because it's something we would struggle with.

Also, sounds like you've read the whole thing, so you probably know (SPOILER)... that he unwittingly saves her life by waking her up, because everyone would have died had they not discovered the malfunction(highlight if you've already read the script).

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post

SPOILER

Yes, that's what I meant about the middle needing a rewrite. I, too, felt it was too contrived. And keeping him around longer would have added benefit to the hero's struggle. I think it could've easily been fixed.
                                FA4
                                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                                X