No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LinkedIn / IMDB

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
    Sigh, I wish I got meetings for my looks.
    I bet you'd change your mind real quick when you experienced the sorts of things that women who get invited to meetings "for their looks" have to experience for being women.

Comment

Originally posted by ijustknow View Post
      Should I list in development?
      Are they in development? If not, no.

Also, just a week ago I made my LinkedIn profile and an executive at a well known production company wants me to meet him for coffee. Please no negative comments, but I am an attractive young female. I assume that is why he really wants to meet me? He said he likes to meet new writers. I have no resume on LinkedIn. just my name, picture and that I am working on a coming of age drama loosely based on my life. Should I go or forget it?
      Tell me if I'm misunderstanding something here.

He hasn't seen or requested any samples of your work, but he wants to have a meeting with an unproduced, unagented person whose academic and professional backgrounds he literally knows nothing about?

Comment

Originally posted by Staircaseghost View Post
        Tell me if I'm misunderstanding something here.

He hasn't seen or requested any samples of your work, but he wants to have a meeting with an unproduced, unagented person whose academic and professional backgrounds he literally knows nothing about?
        I found that odd as well. Kind of like that other thread from a few days ago where the OP was asking about a deal where the company hadn't even read the script yet but already offered to let them spec something from a pool of ideas and material they liked. In both cases, it seems like these potential opportunities are putting the cart before the horse... and that usually happens when there's an ulterior motive. In the case of that other thread, the company wanted work for free. In the case of this thread, the only information this exec has about her is what she looks like and that she's working on a script. And since I can't remember the last time a development executive requested a meeting solely on the basis of discovering that a random person has decided to write a screenplay...

I hate to say it, but if the two things he knows about you are (1) you're an attractive young woman, and (2) you're writing a screenplay, I'd put my money on Door #1. That's not to say you can't have a productive conversation come out of it... but you need to go into the meeting expecting that his reason for asking you out is probably NOT about an unfinished script he hasn't read.

And if you do decide to meet up with a person who contacted you on the internet, meet in a public place, bring a friend, be careful about how much information you reveal, etc. All the standard common sense about meeting someone online for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by blueshrimp View Post
          I bet you'd change your mind real quick when you experienced the sorts of things that women who get invited to meetings "for their looks" have to experience for being women.
          Free drinks?

Comment

90% of posts on here are variations of 'how the flip to I get a meeting in this town?' You're offered a meeting off the back of a logline for a semi-autobiographical coming of age story - i.e. the script we all write in our early 20s. Oh, and your photo..........

As others have said, if you can use it to your advantage then hey, go for it if you want. But I can't help thinking that if your gut's telling you to ask this question it's because your gut knows it's weird.
            My stuff

Comment

Guys, the OP hasn't even established that she lives in L.A., let alone that this creepozoid is an actual producer at an actual company. And from her confusion about what "in development" means (it looks like she thinks it means "I'm working on my idea") I'm suspecting that the planned exploitation here is monetary rather than sexual. He sees someone just starting out who knows nothing about the business, and he's thinking hustle, not The Game. Dollar signs, not tramp stamps.

I'm just going to come out and say it: unless this is a family friend, absolutely no one wants to take a meeting with someone who is "thinking about writing something".

Sure, anything's possible. But this just isn't possible.

Comment

Guys, the OP hasn't even established that she lives in L.A., let alone that this creepozoid is an actual producer at an actual company. And from her confusion about what "in development" means (it looks like she thinks it means "I'm working on my idea") I'm suspecting that the planned exploitation here is monetary rather than sexual. He sees someone just starting out who knows nothing about the business, and he's thinking hustle, not The Game. Dollar signs, not tramp stamps.

I'm just going to come out and say it: unless this is a family friend, absolutely no one wants to take a meeting with someone who is "thinking about writing something".

Sure, anything's possible. But this just isn't possible.

"Also, just a week ago I made my LinkedIn profile and an executive at a well known production company wants me to meet him for coffee."

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                  "Also, just a week ago I made my LinkedIn profile and an executive at a well known production company wants me to meet him for coffee."
                  Guys, the OP hasn't even established that she lives in L.A., let alone that this creepozoid is an actual producer at an actual company.
                  We're all writers here. The difference between saying and showing should be instinctive.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                    Maybe it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway...

At least make sure the guy contacting you really is an exec at the well known company. And btw, do they produce anything like coming of age dramas? People really do fudge very tenuous relationships all the time to impress young aspirants.

Comment

Originally posted by canela View Post
                      Maybe it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway...

At least make sure the guy contacting you really is an exec at the well known company. And btw, do they produce anything like coming of age dramas? People really do fudge very tenuous relationships all the time to impress young aspirants.
                      I don't know. I'm not the hot girl getting asked out on coffee meetings/dates. I'm just saying that she did claim the guy is a legit exec.

Comment

Does this guy have creds at imdb? Can you verify that he really is an employee and not some scammer (or worse).
                        http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X