No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gone Girl is everything that's wrong with writers

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
    No bankable star? Adult drama is Ben's wheelhouse, mate.
    I don't think Affleck would've been considered "bankable". Yeah, he's had success, but that was mostly as director. As an actor, I don't know that he would've been first on anyone's list to open a movie.

Of course, now he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
      I don't think Affleck would've been considered "bankable". Yeah, he's had success, but that was mostly as director. As an actor, I don't know that he would've been first on anyone's list to open a movie.

Of course, now he is.
      For anyone who knows the market this film would play to (I went twice and sat in theater rooms packed with older women), he's about as bankable as they come right now. Older women are probably the most aware audience demo, so building a rep with solid adult fare like GBG, The Town, and Argo pays off. Obviously, the novel is the star here -- regardless of what elements contributed to the film's artistic value, its commercial success falls almost solely on Flynn's shoulders -- but I wouldn't discount Affleck's own draw for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
        Don't forget Ben's wang. That was a bankable enough star for a couple people I know.
        I actually didn't notice it the first time haha. Then I read some article about Affleck telling people to see it in IMAX 3D so they can see his dick better, and then I was maybe kinda looking for it on the second viewing....

Comment

My personal rule of thumb has always been if I don't care about the lead characters then it doesn't matter how cleverly written/plotted the script is. This film is no exception. Perhaps part of that is due to Affleck's blandness as an actor. He's likable but there's no nuance there.

I watched this film. But I didn't *feel* much of anything for two and a half hours. That's a fail.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino
            My personal rule of thumb has always been if I don't care about the lead characters then it doesn't matter how cleverly written/plotted the script is. This film is no exception. Perhaps part of that is due to Affleck's blandness as an actor. He's likable but there's no nuance there.

I watched this film. But I didn't *feel* much of anything for two and a half hours. That's a fail.
            Agree. I'll rewatch PRESUMED INNOCENT or even FATAL ATTRACTION with all its audience manipulation before I watch GONE GIRL again. Better films with characters I feel invested in from the get.

And is it me or did Rosamund Pike's performance seem like a bad Sharon Stone impersonation?
            "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
            -Maya Angelou

Comment

I'm talking about well rounded, fully developed evil/bad woman main characters - who aren't defined in some way by their sexuality. They're light on. I'd forgotten Kill Bill. Though still she was only ever The Bride. So.
              sigpic

Website
              Tweets
              Book

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
                Yes, not much to feel other than revulsion.
                "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                  Don't forget Ben's wang. That was a bankable enough star for a couple people I know.

Neil's wang was just...gross.
                  "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

The topic of Gone Girl came up in an interview with Greg Araki, writer/director of White Bird in a Blizzard, and its comparison to his own film.

(bolds mine)

"I felt like Gone Girl was a little bit misogynistic, and this movie is much more of a feminist movie. ... The Eva Green character is a victim of this patriarchal system."
                    -Araki

I can see why some people detest the word feminism.

Comment

Mostly misogynists

Comment

The topic of Gone Girl came up in an interview with Greg Araki, writer/director of White Bird in a Blizzard, and its comparison to his own film.

(bolds mine)

"I felt like Gone Girl was a little bit misogynistic, and this movie is much more of a feminist movie. … The Eva Green character is a victim of this patriarchal system."
                        -Araki

As a woman, I'm quickly beginning to detest the word victim if we're NOT talking about physical abuse or harm or death. When it comes to any mental or emotional effects on me, after experiencing anything, I decide if I'm a victim. It's no one else's call.

BTW, the patriarchal system puts the squeeze on, and squeezes out, many different groups of people. It's not productive to label us all victims, imo.
                        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

"I felt like Gone Girl was a little bit misogynistic, and this movie is much more of a feminist movie. ... The Eva Green character is a victim of this patriarchal system."
                          -Araki
                          He can speak to his intentions, but audiences will decide for themselves what they think.

I can see why some filmmakers detest interviews.

Comment

Working...
                          X