Clear All

Re: The Dark Knight

Okay. Paul Giamatti as The Penguin?
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by Republic of Stephen View Post
      No doubt Depp could play a worthy villain, but we've seen Bats go up against three psychos already (The Scarecrow, Two Face and The Joker), do we really want to see another one?
      the twisted psychos are what make nolans movies great. I'd rather see another psycho (riddler, harley quinn, etc) than a created villain (clayface, man bat, bane, posion ivy)

I would eliminate catwoman because the devastating halle berry movie will sour many audiences to the idea.
      Script List

Comment

Because we're discussing this on TDK's official wide release night, I'll leave the whole Depp thing alone, but I will leave you with this: Heath Ledger became The Joker-The Joker-The Joker...his was the performance of a lifetime...hi lifetime. The Joker is immortal, and if you think Heath's performance was and will be the only time we can ever see this take on how the Joker exists...you're mistaken...this character is the ultimate villain in comic and film history in terms of actors wanting to step into the role...he's even more complex than Heath Ledger or anyone else could ever play him, and that's what makes him so damn fascinating.

Because when you talk about the highest level of actors like Heath and like Johnny Depp...what they've already 'done' and what they've 'played' is completely irrelevant to what they're doing now. You can't bring back the dead, but you can do the seemingly impossible with a character like The Joker. Just remember in 1989, everyone said Nicholson's Joker could never be duplicated....some joke on them, huh?
        sigpic

Comment

what about an arsenal of women supervillains?

talia al ghul - seeking revenge for her fathers death

harley quinn - enfatuation with her patient, Joker, wishes to carry out his ideals

poison ivy - over development by wayne enterprises leads pam isley to destroy bruce wayne
          Script List

Comment

A villainess is a good idea, one that gets to Bruce Wayne though. It would be an interesting dynamic for Bruce to fall in love with a woman that Batman has to stop.

Comment

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, folks.

A good thing is savored best, when it's in the moment. Third film shouldn't be in our vocabulary at this point...THE DARK KNIGHT is far too amazing a film to see just once. Tap the keg dry...this is the first and last time you're gonna see Heath Ledger on a stage this grand.
              sigpic

Comment

Uh, didn't he have a thing for CatWoman and then they kissed and were both like "Oh, sh!t! Does this mean we have to fight?"
                And she sizzled somebody and

Well the point is, all of those have been done.

Depp would make a super cool Batman villian.
                Are you going to write "Trust me" in the query?"
                by BellaBella

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Isaac View Post
                  Because when you talk about the highest level of actors like Heath and like Johnny Depp...what they've already 'done' and what they've 'played' is completely irrelevant to what they're doing now. You can't bring back the dead, but you can do the seemingly impossible with a character like The Joker. Just remember in 1989, everyone said Nicholson's Joker could never be duplicated....some joke on them, huh?
                  I never cared for Jack's Joker. All I saw was JACK. (Way too much Jim in The Riddler, too. Not much different than his Mask character)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone else does it, though. I think they should go with something fresh, next. There's dozens to choose from:

Lady Shiva
                  Clayface
                  Hush
                  The Mad Hatter
                  General
                  The Scarecrow
                  Billy Numerous
                  Cavalier
                  Cornelius Stirk
                  Firefly

The list goes on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_villains

This looks funny now, doesn't it? (I always like the Bat Mobile, though)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uL0aHWzllgE

And how much you wanna bet someone's going to do a new version of this now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOEHuT3BEq0
                  Last edited by suzeaa; 07-18-2008, 07:41 PM.

Comment

one thing i just remembered from the movie that may be a major foreshadowing

when lucius creates a better batsuit, bruce asks, "can it stand up to dogs"

and lucius says, "no, but it can stand up to a cat"

is that a hint at catwoman making an appearance?
                    Script List

Comment

Originally posted by J off course View Post
                      Shia Lebouf would make a great Robin.

(I'm wearing body armor as I say this )

I'd go with Joseph Gordon-Levitt personally. Robin is a tough cast.

Nolan has stated numerous times that Robin just doesn't fit his vision of Batman(this causing an uproar amongst your over-the-top Robin "fanboys"). He sees Bale's Batman as still being very early in his career in Gotham, presenting Nolan with sort of this canvas of a singular hero's initial journey to, then, becoming the great legend that Batman is widely regarded as.
                      sigpic

Comment

The reviews are out of this world. Either the film is damned good or Warner Bros has more employees than I thought. I'm not expecting to get a foot into any theatre this weekend. I'll try for next weekend.
                        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by suzeaa View Post
                          Lady Shiva
                          Clayface
                          Hush
                          The Mad Hatter
                          General
                          The Scarecrow
                          Billy Numerous
                          Cavalier
                          Cornelius Stirk
                          Firefly
                          I'd love to see a number of the Rogues Gallery done on film, but with Chris Nolan, looking at his approach to the realistic appearance of his villains in both films; there's restrictions on a number of really interesting origin stories out there that haven't been used on film.

So far, we've seen:

Scarecrow
                          Mr. Zzazz
                          Ra's Al Ghul
                          Joker
                          Two-Face

Now, a list of other possibe rogues that neatly fit into the Nolanverse as it stands:

PENGUIN
                          Riddler
                          The Mad-Hatter
                          Bane
                          Black Mask
                          Killer Croc (See brand new BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT DVD for reference on realistic look at Croc)
                          HUSH
                          Catwoman
                          LADY SHIVA

Outside of these names, I can't see Chris using any others from the gallery.

That leaves some of the most fascinating villains at home:

CLAYFACE***
                          POISON IVY*
                          SPELLBINDER
                          VENTRILOQUIST/SCARFACE
                          DEADSHOT*
                          RED HOOD
                          ANARKY
                          GREAT WHITE
                          MAN-BAT***
                          CALENDAR MAN
                          FIREFLY*
                          MR. FREEZE***

* Being villains I think translate well to film
                          *** Being by far the most captivating origin stories

Something tells me Phillip Seymour Hoffman will play The Penguin and Anthony Michael Hall, The Riddler, in the next film.
                          sigpic

Comment

Wasn't Mr. Freeze done already? Yeah, Arnie.

I'd like to see a new villain entirely, no matter who directed the ones done before. I forgot the Scarecrow had been done.

Anyway, plenty to choose from.

Comment

i think nolan will stay away from any "created" villains (mutants, genetically altered, etc) and stick to "realistic" villains (psychos with elaborate personas)
                              Script List

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Isaac View Post
                                Killer Croc (See brand new BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT DVD for reference on realistic look at Croc)
                                I'd love to see the Croc. I thought Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso did an excellent job in Broken City. I loved the whole "skin disorder" thing he had going on. And the reason he had jagged teeth was because Batman kept smashing his new dentures in.
                                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                                X