AVATAR--I have the sneaking suspicion....

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AVATAR--I have the sneaking suspicion....

Cameron wrote and directed Terminator and Titanic. Anyone who says they don't like his films, doesn't like movies.
    "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
    - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

Who else is doin' midnight?
      Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
      Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

I think this will have a lot of legs overseas because it is basically "America as Villain" a lot of the world can relate to because of our skewed priorities the last eight years. Then again, maybe people won't make that conscious connection...
        Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
          Who else is doin' midnight?
          Best theaters in LA to see it? I'll be in town.

Comment

A spoiler free review from someone who was initially doubtful --

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/12/...le-from-magic/
            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by gravitas View Post
              Best theaters in LA to see it? I'll be in town.
              I've always liked the theater at The Grove. Honestly though, no theaters in LA can match the Cinemark in my hometown...that thing is barely a step down from IMAX...in fact it's bigger and better than some of the smaller IMAXes.
              Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
              Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

I'm all booked in for Wednesday the 16th. I forgot how expensive cinema's are, jeez, $22 is crazy. I'm referring to Australia though, what does it cost you guys in the US?

Comment

I recently read that many right-wingers are saying that Avatar is full of left-wing anti-war propaganda and that Cameron is making a statement about the U.S. invasion of Iraq for its oil. I wasn't that interested in seeing it before, but now I am. That's my kind of movie.

Comment

I think as writers we may want to watch a movie like this because it is a little piece of film history, the return of 3D etc, even if we don't enjoy it that much, you were still there when it succeeded or failed. Seems like a "marker" film to me that may usher in the 2010s + and whatever this next decade brings us.

I found it interesting that after this project, Cameron says that HW can pay him to make $1 million films, he's okay with that, is that a sign or something ...

~~?
                    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
                      I recently read that many right-wingers are saying that Avatar is full of left-wing anti-war propaganda and that Cameron is making a statement about the U.S. invasion of Iraq for its oil. I wasn't that interested in seeing it before, but now I am. That's my kind of movie.
                      Well when I heard the last line from the trailer:

'they've sent us a message, that they think they can come here and take what they want, but we will send them a message, that this, this is our land!'

that did sorta spring to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
                        This is why I said, I think it will have a cult following overseas, right or wrong.
                        Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                          This is why I said, I think it will have a cult following overseas, right or wrong.
                          Really - because isn't that a little last year? Even the US people don't want to be there and seems to have voted for change - the overseas feeling is that this conversation is kind of over, or dwindling.

I think the story will drive the success overseas - not any outdated, underlying political message. And it does look mighty indeed.

Xnod - it costs you HOW MUCH? I pay $15 in Melbourne. Where do you see your films? (Actually, is that for 3D? That might be the difference.)
                          sigpic

Website
                          Tweets
                          Book

Comment

It's not... How you put it... "outdated" as you think. There is still a lot of animosity toward the U.S. even among our allies.

The parallels between what has transpired the last decade and what AVATAR depicts will not be lost on those who are of the same view, anyway.
                            Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by Xnod View Post
                              I'm all booked in for Wednesday the 16th. I forgot how expensive cinema's are, jeez, $22 is crazy. I'm referring to Australia though, what does it cost you guys in the US?

Is that Gold Class? If not, you can only see it in 3D at V-Max or Gold Class.
                              @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I caved and bought a ticket to the Dome midnight screening.

Comment

Working...
                                X