Idris Elba: The First Black James Bond???

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Idris Elba: The First Black James Bond???

I just randomly stick commas in my writing and I don't know why.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
      If they cast Idris, it wouldn't be to make a point. It'd be to get the best odds of having a successful Bond movie.
      To borrow some prose from Bill Clinton, that depends on what the meaning of "successful" is. And the meaning of "making a point" is. If "making a point" leads to more ticket sales, and if more ticket sales is how one judges whether the movie is "successful", then those things are one and the same.

Comment

Re: Idris Alba: The First Black James Bond???

PC is important. Without it, a LOT of awful things get said, a lot of hate gets bred. The people who most commonly complain about "PC" are the people who are usually least affected by negative talk/stereotypes. If you get rid of being "PC", you gotta eat people referring to you as colored if that's what they wanna do.

I don't really care if white people wanna keep Bond white, btw. To me, it doesn't matter what race a character is unless, again, your story is race specific, but hey, that's me. Keep Bond white, whatevs. I'm fine with it. But as is often the case, one topic spills into a bigger topic.

I do think that there is a desire by a lot of people to get rid of being "PC" because they don't understand where the veil of "PC" comes from, nor do they understand the ramifications of people saying whatever they want all the time.

There is a line that is not really definable. Again, nothing wrong with talking about wanting to keep Bond white but there is nothing wrong with saying that kind of thinking is outdated. Btw, it's not even "PC" to say race doesn't matter in most movie roles. Doesn't PC really mean, "don't say that"?

If, in private, you wanna refer to gay people by the "f" word or black people by the "n" word, fine. If you really wanna exercise your right to free speech--if you're REALLY against being PC, you should absolutely say these words in public too.

True good points. I meant I try not to be oversensitive to things. But you right. Agreed.

Comment

Well let's put the other stuff out of mind for a minute. Craig is signed on for 2 more films at the least and Elba is already 40. If they wanted to get more than a couple of films out of him he'd be pushing on a bit.

If they could have Elba and and still keep Bond's backstory intact then sure, put him in. But there are still other options.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Keynes View Post
            WOW. Such ignorance, it's quite sad really.

I'd love to see Idris Elba play James Bond, I think he'd be great -- but then again, race is of little consequence to me...

Yeah, people with dissenting opinions than your own are obviously ignorant. Quite the open-minded one you are, really.

Comment

PC is important. Without it, a LOT of awful things get said, a lot of hate gets bred. The people who most commonly complain about "PC" are the people who are usually least affected by negative talk/stereotypes. If you get rid of being "PC", you gotta eat people referring to you as colored if that's what they wanna do.

I don't really care if white people wanna keep Bond white, btw. To me, it doesn't matter what race a character is unless, again, your story is race specific, but hey, that's me. Keep Bond white, whatevs. I'm fine with it. But as is often the case, one topic spills into a bigger topic.

I do think that there is a desire by a lot of people to get rid of being "PC" because they don't understand where the veil of "PC" comes from, nor do they understand the ramifications of people saying whatever they want all the time.

There is a line that is not really definable. Again, nothing wrong with talking about wanting to keep Bond white but there is nothing wrong with saying that kind of thinking is outdated. Btw, it's not even "PC" to say race doesn't matter in most movie roles. Doesn't PC really mean, "don't say that"?

If, in private, you wanna refer to gay people by the "f" word or black people by the "n" word, fine. If you really wanna exercise your right to free speech--if you're REALLY against being PC, you should absolutely say these words in public too.
              Your earlier post in the thread seems a bit contradictory.

And why state that it's "white people" who want to keep Bond white? No. It's "people who appreciate source material" who want to keep Bond white. You don't know my race. You don't know the race of anyone else who feels Elba wouldn't be best suited as Bond.

Comment

When are we going to get a white Shaft, I really see Justin Bieber as a great fit for the role.

Comment

And since being white didn't help most of the Bonds not be retarded, I can't really get behind that as a valuable characteristic.
                  The hypocrisy of posting a somewhat pedantic speech on the virtues of using PC language because "a lot of people" don't seem to "understand the ramifications of people saying whatever they want all the time" and following that up by derisively referring to Bond characters by the totally un-PC word, "retarded," is truly priceless.
                  Last edited by Optimus; 11-03-2012, 11:45 AM.
                  "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

Thread derailing! Thread derailing! Help!

Comment

Lastly, to stay on topic, the reason I think Elba works as Bond is because I totally buy him as a calm, collected, suave, British spy who freely makes love to women and kills people. I doubt there is one "Bond" trait anyone can list that Elba doesn't have...except for race. And since being white didn't help most of the Bonds not be retarded, I can't really get behind that as a valuable characteristic. I don't buy Jason Statham as Bond because he's not suave. There are other British actors who I don't buy as womanizers or killers. Idris I buy as all these things.
                      This.

By the way, "source material" is so not the reason to not cast a good actor in the lead role. Bond being white isn't exactly a must-have unless he's trying to infiltrate a white supremacist group.

HH

Comment

This is a very crappy line of thought. I do understand why the media pushes it. Precisely because it gets people talking and arguing, so you're drawn to read the magazine, but it makes absolute no sense.

To dramatically change the makeup of a character is only done, will only be done, when this is needed to generate interest. This is not the case with Bond.

I'll give you an example: Zorro was always played by 'whites'. If finally got played by Antonio Banderas because he happened to be a hot star at the moment, and because it fits the character's makeup as originally established. It is no big leap of faith to do this. No Banderas? Liam Neeson would've been Zorro.

Changing M into being a woman was done because this was what happened in real life in MI5 and it was a way to make the series relevant, which was a big issue with Goldeneye in 1995. In fact, the whole movie revolves around the idea of Bond being a 'dinosaur' of the Cold War, and nothing would say that better than having a new M. Besides, the value of a new M was self-evident for other reasons.

To jump from that and propose every few years a 'female Bond', a 'black Bond', why not a 'latino Bond' since we're at it? - that is not serious, it's just a good way for entertainment magazines to fill up a page and have Daniel Craig in the cover.

Comment

Why are so many people refusing to even contemplate the possibility that Elba is considered for the role because he's a great actor that has the right qualities -as detailed by BDZ- to play Bond? He'd be just awesome in that role. Forget for a second the fact that he's black and think about it.

Comment

This would basically destroy the series.

Comment

Sarah Silverman has a very interesting chapter on slurs and PC language in her book, The Bedwetter. Nice behind the scenes stuff about SNL and her TV show too. Just got done reading it. Highly recommend.

So, yeah, we can't just say whatever we want, even if it's hella funny.
                              If you really like it you can have the rights
                              It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

People said Elba was going to play Bond before but then Daniel Craig came along.

People chat ****.

Comment

Working...
                                X