Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot Development

if i wanted to have a spec pilot for the 2020 season when does it realistically need to be done and submitted to managers?

i think one of my books has a timeline. talking cable or streamers not network.

thanks for the help.
    FA4
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Re: Pilot Development

No really it's like non stop pilot season the past few years. It's probably still more standard at ABC and NBCs of the world, but since so many outlets it's non stop.

I wouldn't worry about it. So many steps we can't control along the way...

Unless your TV Pilot is time sensitive, just write.

Comment

Seems like the timing is always BAD.

"Everyone's outta the office for summer vacation."

"Everyone's outta the office for Christmas vacation."

"Everyone's outta the office for Sundance."

"Everyone's outta the office for Easter"

"Everyone's outta the office for Ramadan"

"Everyone's outta the office for Yom Kippur."

"Everyone's outta the office for........."

Continue that into infinity. Is what it feels like.
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

under the traditional pilot development cycle . . . June/July. but basically now to get it out to studios and networks for pitch meetings because the pilot script orders are generally made by end of October for the upcoming season

https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-do-so-ma...ver-1681405688

Comment

http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspo...-database.html

About a year ago, I started a Twitter conversation with pro writers about the spec episodes that got them staffed or noticed for the first time. -- bitter script reader

Cool datebase of specs that pro writers wrote to break in.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            if i wanted to have a spec pilot for the 2020 season when does it realistically need to be done and submitted to managers?

i think one of my books has a timeline. talking cable or streamers not network.

thanks for the help.
            FA4
            Networks are the only one with schedules anymore. For a spec pilot, they're already buying them, and the last realistic shot at selling is probably early January.

So I'd say now is the best time, and to hit that January date... before Thanksgiving?

But selling spec pilots is really really really tough. They're much more likely to want to make something that they've developed. The next network pitching season starts next June-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
              Networks are the only one with schedules anymore. For a spec pilot, they're already buying them, and the last realistic shot at selling is probably early January.

So I'd say now is the best time, and to hit that January date... before Thanksgiving?

But selling spec pilots is really really really tough. They're much more likely to want to make something that they've developed. The next network pitching season starts next June-ish.
              thanks, Jeff, I appreciate the insights.
              FA4
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspo...-database.html

About a year ago, I started a Twitter conversation with pro writers about the spec episodes that got them staffed or noticed for the first time. -- bitter script reader

Cool datebase of specs that pro writers wrote to break in.

The Simpson's spec script is great and only 39 pages or so. I can do that. Or is it now a days one needs to write an original pilot?
                TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
                  The Simpson's spec script is great and only 39 pages or so. I can do that. Or is it now a days one needs to write an original pilot?
                  if you're just looking for representation (especially if outside of LA) potential reps are probably only going to care about an original pilot

if you're in LA and intent on actually being staffed on a show, best to also have a killer spec for showrunners to know you can write to voice

(personal opinion: a Simpsons spec would not be my first choice of show if i wanted to do comedy, unless it was something stunt-y that i was sure the show hadn't done before and would stand out immediately because that show's been around for 30 years)

Comment

Back in my day, I was told write a spec for a current show that isn't too old -- best is one that is in season 2-4 so the people reading it don't get bored. They don't want to read The Simpsons spec. No one does at this point.

And also along with spec, write a pilot. Do both!

Comment

Thanks. You guys are awesome triple covered in a tangy zesty awesome sauce. And crushed acorns for some reason.
                      TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

I would DEFINITELY NOT (!) spec an existing show. No one wants to read that. PROMISE! or your money back...

NO ONE IS READING THOSE. THAT MARKET IS DEAD!

Example: I was up for and moving forward with these shows... TRAINING DAY, DESIGNATED SURVIVOR and... (I'm blanking, two other cop type shows). What was my sample?

................A pilot about a chef. My chef is fukking brutal (think Tony Soprano as an A-list chef). They could make the connection, plenty of sex, drugs and violence in my chef pilot. They didn't want to read more cop shows. (Btw - sold that show, didn't get made, close, but no. Later it's been used as a writing sample for sh!t you'd think doesn't make any sense. Like the shows mentioned.)

Just write a pilot to sell it (with attachments). You can use it as a sample later when it DOESN'T sell. Ha!

But, like Jeff said, dude.... bruh... it's fukkin HARD to sell a pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                          I would DEFINITELY NOT (!) spec an existing show. No one wants to read that. PROMISE! or your money back...

NO ONE IS READING THOSE. THAT MARKET IS DEAD!

Example: I was up for and moving forward with these shows... TRAINING DAY, DESIGNATED SURVIVOR and... (I'm blanking, two other cop type shows). What was my sample?

................A pilot about a chef. My chef is fukking brutal (think Tony Soprano as an A-list chef). They could make the connection, plenty of sex, drugs and violence in my chef pilot. They didn't want to read more cop shows. (Btw - sold that show, didn't get made, close, but no. Later it's been used as a writing sample for sh!t you'd think doesn't make any sense. Like the shows mentioned.)

Just write a pilot to sell it (with attachments). You can use it as a sample later when it DOESN'T sell. Ha!

But, like Jeff said, dude.... bruh... it's fukkin HARD to sell a pilot.
                          I second this suggestion, especially if you're trying to get staffed onto a show - instead, write an original pitch perfect authentic pilot that blows their socks off. The reason is this: just because a writer can imitate a voice doesn't mean they're an amazing writer. But an amazing writer can imitate a voice.
                          Last edited by nguyensquared; 09-16-2019, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I wanna add a bit to my previous post...

Look at how my pilot is NOTHING like what they're "looking for" (on paper). They were doing straight ahead network shows, mine was dark drama premium cable (but with some dark-ish satirical humor).

The two don't go together on paper.

Or do they?

They're looking for "voices." Stop for a second and put yourself in their shoes. What would be the EASIEST way for you to TRUST you've found a voice to compliment your show? IMO... someone doing something totally different than anything you'd think of. If I was a showrunner the last thing I'd want is someone mimicking my voice BEFORE I asked for it. I'd want someone where I'm like "Ahhh... cool voice... they fill in one of my blindspots. I don't write like this, but I dig it."

IDK... maybe Jeff can chime in, but I'd guess that showrunners are generally not looking for writers who look like exactly what you'd assume they'd want. I think they'd rather be surprised with something a little off-grid.

With a show like the Simpsons, It's already pretty fukkin nutz. IDK how you could flip it to be the exact opposite of what we'd expect, yet it makes perfect sense

See that Peanuts project as an example of smartly flipping our expectations. There was ROOM to do it. With The Simpsons, nope! IMO. Which is to point out that the person flipping The Peanuts on its ear is WAY more likely to land a gig on The Simpsons than the person specking a PERFECT episode of The Simpsons. If I'm the showrunner, I'm gonna find your spec of my show boring and uninventive no matter what you do.

Comment

I may be repeating some of what other people said, but:

Specs are dead dead dead as samples. The reason is, there are just too many shows. Everyone used to be familiar with Friends or Seinfeld... that just doesn't exist. Your great Veep sample is going to be lost on a lot of employers.

The only reason to ever write one is for a few contests/fellowships that want them.

All of that said...

I miss reading specs of shows I know. When I hire someone on my staff, I want to know if they can write in other people's voices. It does me zero good if I establish a character and a writer can't nail it. It just means that I have to rewrite everything. The job of TV is largely "the same, but different."

Plus, writing a pilot is fucking hard. Create an interesting world, create unique characters... and then come up with a compelling plot? Jesus. Probably 90+% of writers will never create a show, but you have to be able to do it to sit in a room and pitch on someone else's characters? Bonkers.

But, doesn't matter. Too many shows out there to have a spec be useful.

Old man story warning: I broke in with a Larry Sanders spec that got me work for probably a decade.

Comment

Working...
                              X