Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #11
hockeyjason
User

Default Re: Pitching as a Lottery

Speaking of lotteries, has anyone seen this site?

pitchmyfilm.com
hockeyjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #12
JeffLowell

Fuck, does that make me sad on about a dozen levels.

You should not be paying someone 300 bucks to read your script or 3k to submit it to 3 companies. Full stop.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #13
NoNeckJoe
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjason View Post
Speaking of lotteries, has anyone seen this site?

pitchmyfilm.com

If what that company is doing is legal, it shouldn't be.
NoNeckJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
catcon

Well, I'm lucky enough to be too poor to ever consider going for it, but is there really that much of a difference between this and what reps do for their 10 percent, except that this is a one-time fee-for-service instead of an ongoing percentage on any successful deal?

With this, a writer could conceivably come away with having to share less of your future earnings with them, though the likelihood of finding a deal is still infinitesimal.

Did you check out their bios on the site? It seems just another way that somebody's trying to pay for their utility bills, while waiting for their own big break to come along.

That's the thing: Got a bit of JavaScript knowledge, or are willing to pay for it? Voila, an on-line business is born! I love entrepreneurism, but doing so doesn't mean you have to buy the product or service involved.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
is there really that much of a difference between this and what reps do for their 10 percent, except that this is a one-time fee-for-service instead of an ongoing percentage on any successful deal?
I find this sort of rationalization exceptionally DANGEROUS, and hope that any lurkers reading this thread ignore catcon's line of thinking.

There is one crucial, glaring difference between legitimate reps and these pay-to-be-seen people. Legitimate reps get their 10% on COMMISSION. Pay-to-be-seen people want their money up-front.

One wants 10% for projects they SELL. The other wants $3000 for projects they EMAIL.

Anyone can email a script to three different production companies.

This sounds like nothing more than a very expensive way to get someone to send out three queries for you.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #16
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
Legitimate reps get their 10% on COMMISSION. Pay-to-be-seen people want their money up-front.
Reads a lot like what I wrote...

Quote:
catcon (me): ...a one-time fee-for-service instead of an ongoing percentage on any successful deal
Maybe it was that I simply didn't express enough outrage at this latest scheme?

No matter, with the plethora of threads in DDPro about these on-line services, not to mention the horrible practices of many people who call themselves "reps", writers need to maintain a healthy dose of skepticism across the board.

Maybe it'll be the final straw to make more of us DIY. Yes, our first deals won't be with a big studio that requires an agent, and instead will be with some small-time distributor or producer, but we can work our way up from there. At the right time, the agents will come to us to complete the team.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote