Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #11
artisone
Regular

Default Re: "I enjoyed it but it's not for me..."

The "I liked it but..." line is a line I have heard plenty of times. Usually, it's the hollywood way of saying they did not like the material.
artisone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #12
sasqits

Not in disagreement with what has already been said but some producers are very specific in what they are looking for.

I prefer a polite response than none at all - at least I know the opprotunity is dead.
sasqits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #13
lache
Regular

read this if you ever been rejected:

http://www.dangutman.com/pages/rejection.html
lache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
Pandoraisme
User

I'm with Sasquits on this, a polite response allows me to move on.

When I shopped my first script I heard this quite a bit. It was less depressing than silence and at least they all invited me to submit future work.

Since I hate knocking on doors, I decided to write a few more scripts before I knock again. Next time I get one of those rejection letters they won't get off so easy. That day, one of my other scripts will be in the mail with "Requested Material" on the envelope.

They'll either have to be honest, or read more scripts.

lache -- Thanks for the perfect link.
Pandoraisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #15
kidcharlemagne

This line covers all bases. He obviously didn't love it but he didn't hate it either otherwise it would probably just be a case of 'Thanks for the read, unfortunately this one wasn't for me'.

So I'd say he liked it, didn't love it but wants to keep the door open just in case.

Of course I could be wrong, it could be his standard cut and paste pass line.

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 AM   #16
AnotherWriter
User

Yeah, what others have said. More to the point, anyone ever hear, "I didn't like it." or "There are lots of problems with the writing, so it's a pass." etc? Doubt it.

In some ways, I see it as them covering themselves to avoid hassle from writers asking for feedback on why they didn't like it, or to avoid backlash from writers that can't handle rejection all that well. There are lots of characters out there. But, also, just in case they accidently passed on the next American Beauty and didn't want to burn themselves for negatively commenting on the quality of the writing.

Thing is, after submitting a query, if the prodco/agency asks you to send in the material, they're obviously interested in the concept you are offering. Thus, if you're getting a "I like it, but it's not for us." I would see it as an obvious brush off.

'Sides, even if the material wasn't exactly what they were looking for but the writing was good, surely they'd take you on for other projects or refer you at the very least.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:02 AM   #17
magicman35
Regular

I think it's useful to bear in mind that in the world of feature films particularly, it's a mammoth task to get a film into production, never mind properly distributed. For someone to put themselves through that they're really going to have to have tremendous passion and belief in a script. You don't want someone attached to your work who doesn't have that passion and belief.

Rejection is something all writers have to deal with throughout their careers on some level or other. Even if you sell a script or land an assignment, talent will pass, so will financiers and so ultimately will movie goers and viewers. It'd be a very dull world if everyone like everything. Bear that in mind and it increases your chances of remaining sane along the route of the 'death march'.
magicman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:01 AM   #18
lordmanji

ya i got that line just this past week. one was open to future material, the other wasn't. which leaves me still very confused.
lordmanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #19
Robot17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmanji View Post
ya i got that line just this past week. one was open to future material, the other wasn't. which leaves me still very confused.
Hi lordmaji

I think as writers we need to read something into responses about our material - it's only natural. Having been through this a few times, I just don't read anything into it anymore (or at least try not to). I just try to take it at face value.

The reality is that a producer will only be able to help create so many projects in their lifetime. Just for grins, lets say 15. If they take on a project, they're going to have to consider living with it for 2-3 years minimum in order to get it set up and made. They're going to have to pay money for it, burn favors and contacts, deal with others that have the same considerations (like Directors and Stars) - I could go on.

So my script (or yours and a bunch of others) shows up one day and the anxious writer awaits word. We get antsy, love our material, think it could go on to win an Oscar (maybe it could!) if only they'd get it. Well... the bar is pretty high on the other side of the equation. Really high. They don't get to just "like it" and then "make it" - they have to be blown away by some aspect of the material or have another reason to champion it (based on best selling book, star/ director already attached, interesting true story - something).

For me, the crucial thing is to KNOW that I've done as good a job as I can do. After I'm done, I send it out to industry friends, get it covered by analysts or readers (I'm not working with an agent), have novices with opinions I respect read it. In general, I try to make sure I'm not "smoking my own dope".

So I have a project in at a significant production company right now. I talked to the Dev guy after his read and he said "it's a pass right now". Then we went on and he says "you're writing is great. The concept is great. But before I take it in I would like to see a little more of this."

He wants me to re-submit it. It will be up against other projects that are based on books, have financing and attachments etc. If he takes it in against those projects, right now, the producer will have to have a cardiac event upon reading the first 10 pages in order to take it on as a project (if he survives the event).

I know the concept is great, he knows it too, but we both know a raw script is going to take a year or two longer to set up than the others. That's sho biz.

So I'm tweaking it for that company's Dev guy, but I'm also meeting with a producer this week who wanted to make this thing 2 years ago before I was even done with it! I had 30 pages to go and he wanted to do it then!

I'm convalesing in my home town and I ran into him on the street here a few days ago! He's in a different position now and wants to schlepp it around again. Who knows? May happen. Sometimes you just have to find the right marriage for these things.

For me, I just have to do the best I can, practice due diligence regarding my work, and hope for the best. I try not to take the process personally, because there's a jillion legitimate reasons to say no to a script but only a few reasons to say yes.

Bot
Old 09-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #20
Minibrain
Regular

"You're great, really. It's not you, it's me. Let's just be friends."
Minibrain is offline   Reply With Quote