Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happens Next? A Newbie & Positive Reaction

A 'name' actor that I know, has read a script of mine, and loves it, read it in one sitting and said it was a serious page-turner. I've said I wrote the piece with him in mind as the lead. Naturally its WGA reg'd and all that. He's offered to help however he can, and said he's passing it onto his Agent's readers for their responses, and has also asked me if I'm looking for representation. I've said I am.

Also, he's asked if I'm looking to sell script or use it as a sample of my writing skills - I've said 'both' - but reassured that I'm in it for the long haul, with a lot more scripts and stories on the way..

Has anyone been in similar situations where a script has grabbed a 'name' actor's attention?
    What's likely to be the next steps? Assuming a positive comes back from the agency's readers, am I going to get a meeting with the Agent? If so, what should my approach be? What are THEY going to want?

I'm looking for an agent who'll get the best price for this AND future scripts - or should I leave it open and see if they want to perhaps just buy this script off me, and not take me on their books as an ongoing writer?

Given that its a fairly big budget script (this is no 'indie' film) - and its in the
    scale of Matrix/Independence Day/Deep Impact in terms of special effects and set pieces, with the potential of being in the Hollywood 'blockbuster' genre, how should I approach any script deals? And what are common payment figures for a very large movie that's clearly big budget from the start.

Re: What Happens Next? A Newbie & Positive Reaction

I'd say your first step is to hit the brakes.

There's a few things that caught me by your post.

Why would this "Name actor" ask you if you wish to sell the script vs. use it as a writing sample?

That's a strange question, isn't it? Who wouldn't want to sell their script?

And what script couldn't automatically be a writing sample, sold or unsold?

The other thing that was strange is when you asked if "they" wanted to just buy this one script from you instead of "not taking you on the books as a writer". His agents (and any other agent considering you as a writer client) aren't going to buy anything from you. They're not in the business of buying scripts.

The best you can hope for is that they'll love it and give it excellent coverage, then package the script with your "Name actor" and pitch it to the prodco's and eventually studios.

But is your "Name actor" friend big time? (i.e. A list?) Is he willing to attach himself, even loosely to the project?

If not, then just treat it as a read from a big 5 agency and nothing more. Which is still, pretty cool.
    Though telling CAA that you have a lot more stories "on the way" isn't gonna get them excited about signing you. They'd prefer you have at least one other killer script to show.

S

Comment

okay, well I'd guess this was a just a semi-casual question on the Actors part, as he knows me and my reputation (I kind of have one, at least in Theater) - and was curious as to where my thinking was, given that I've been known to be a performer/actor as well as a writer. So he knows me well enough, and we're casual enough to be pretty honest at each other - in a 'writer' speaking to 'actor' kind of way, without any concerns over the right and wrong things to say or ask.

Re is he willing to attach himself to the script, yes, I think he is. Its just about seeing what his Agent thinks of the script, and its marketability.

as far as other scripts go, I have a reasonable number of theater scripts, and at least one published book to my credit - so I'm good to roll with around 7 award winning plays thus far. And I'm about to start hunting for representation on multiple fronts - theater scripts, screenplays, voice overs & fiction..
      Overall I think the Actor was trying to get a fix on where I was generally coming from, ahead of passing script to his Agent for their take on it..

Comment

If this is you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Fraser_(columnist)

then I think you're in a pretty good place to get your stuff read and acknowledged. My only question is why don't you already have representation? This is not a criticism, btw, just a genuine question as it seems you could easily get it. Have you moved recently from SA? You seem to have the right connections and some great credits, so I'd think you'd at least get a meeting.

Good on you and good luck with it! ...
        sigpic

Website
        Tweets
        Book

Comment

yup, that's me. Technically only got green card (and thus was legally able to work) in around November - just in time for everyone to be on Xmas holidays.

Been slowly working around to having some new Product. Plays and more recently, film scripts (the thing I'm really into). As many immigrants have no doubt discovered, trying to arrive and hit the ground running, learn the ropes, find the ways of doing things - isn't as simple as it seems from the outside.

So I'm still on a big learning curve, and haven't really got around to finding agent - been more focused on writing fresh stuff that potentially is applicable to this market, and throwing query letters and samples at theaters.

The screenplay angle and focus on agent/representation has only started within the last month or so. Doing it in 'baby steps'. Write new stuff, write more new stuff, revise it, get it in a good state, then throw towards all outlets. Competitions, actors, agents - and see what happens.

Comment

Just as an update.
            The name actor who passed my script onto his agency, says the agent liked it - and now that that agent is passing it onto another person to read - and presumably there'll be a couple more reads before they have a meeting and reach consensus as to whether or not to represent the script.
            So it's not really 'good' news yet - but thus far its not 'bad' news either.

And given that I haven't started the process of query letters to agents yet, I figure its worthwhile to sit quietly and 'see what happens' for a couple of weeks..

Approaching the finishing line with my second script almost finished..

Comment

Wow. What a great Wiki presence. I'm in love.

Anarchy. Social agitation Anti-apartheid Fight Ranting lunatic, I mean, verse poet.

"Putting the Fun back in School Shootings" sounds provocative.
              "The question isn't who will let me, but who is going to stop me?," -- Ayn Rand (via Howard Roark in The Fountainhead)

Comment

Ian, this would be my advice: it's encouraging, but I wouldn't wait to gauge their reaction. I'd use their interest as leverage to get more reads at other agencies. From what you've posted, it sounds to me while they may be that they are considering the script as a vehicle for their client---which may not necessarily translate into repping you as a client.

Let's put it this way---what happens if the agents pass on the script, but your name actor still likes it? Then what? Does he have a prodco? You've already posted that while he is willing to attach himself to it, yet he still wants to see the agent's reaction. Now apparently it has to be vetted by other agents as well. This could be a loong process.
                http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

There's multiple layers at work. On the one hand, the actor loves it and is willing to attach - but given its potentially BIG budget requirement - it might need a bigger name than he is (he's been quite open about that and its not a problem to him). On the other hand, he also wants to help get me work and representation with his agency, so that's also being considered, via the script, and the reading of it.
                  So its both a sell of that individual script+concept, as well as separately my own skillz as writer in general for other work. (The script is a potentially big-scale blockbuster-type thing).
                  But yeah, it would seem to be a 'hurry up and wait' situation. And in case another script is needed, to show that I'm consistent, I'm using the time to finish off another script..

Comment

My daughter is in Boston!

Ian, again, it may work out with this agency, I hope it does, but you have more leverage now using their interest with other agencies.
                    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Synthia View Post
                      Wow. What a great Wiki presence. I'm in love.

Anarchy. Social agitation Anti-apartheid Fight Ranting lunatic, I mean, verse poet.

"Putting the Fun back in School Shootings" sounds provocative.
                      The page has been deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine66 View Post
                        The page has been deleted.
                        Oh my goodness. Because I went to stalk it? Well, I guess I shouldn't have said anything.
                        "The question isn't who will let me, but who is going to stop me?," -- Ayn Rand (via Howard Roark in The Fountainhead)

Comment

you mean this page?
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Fraser_%28columnist%29

still there..
                          (sorry to blow my own trumpet - excuse the phrase. If I could, I'd never leave the house) :P

Comment

Good luck with this, mate. I hope it opens doors for you. I'd read about your work before - there are heaps of South Africans (and Zimbabweans) here now, having migrated over the past decades in order to start new lives - and much of what's happening over there is getting lots of attention here. Seems like there are more and more problems in that part of the world, rather than fewer. Tragic when so many gave their lives to make their home a better place, only to see it slide back into poverty and despair.

I hope you continue to raise awareness through your art. It's amazing what power creativity has in this process.
                            sigpic

Website
                            Tweets
                            Book

Comment

Working...
                            X