Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Heartwalk Update...

So just a quick update on where we’re at with this year’s fundraising.

THE GOOD:

We’ve raised almost twenty thousand dollars.

That’s really amazing.

Several writers who've donated/submitted have already established a relationship with Dan based on his response to their work. Not sure if anybody has officially signed yet. Feel free to post if you have.

Thanks to everybody who’s gone above and beyond to support this great cause.

THE BAD:

Anybody who donates/submits from now on will need to also submit a submission release form. I’m surprised this hasn’t come up earlier but it’s come up now and that’s the way it’s going to be.

Once you donate you should contact me to let me know and I will email you the form. You should then sign it and scan it and submit it along with your logline and script. If you don’t have a scanner, I can email the release form to you and you can snail mail it to Dan directly. When he receives it he’ll let me know and I’ll contact the person and give them the okay to email their script and logline.

If we do this again next year everybody will be required to submit a release form when donating/submitting work for Dan to consider.

I say “if” primarily because of…

THE UGLY:

I wasn’t going to post about this because I really didn’t want to let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch but now I’m realizing it’s not just one bad apple. It’s one really bad apple, a few kinda bad/annoying ones and the rest pretty awesome apples.

If the plug does get pulled on this in 2013, though, the awesome apples will know why.

Of course, I’ve had to deal with the few people PMing me and basically grilling me about the fundraiser. Asking me who actually got repped off of it and if they could like interview them before donating and all this (even though Ryan Riley posted about his experience signing with Daniel and Benderpsink in the thread). That happens every year a few times and is really no big deal. In fact, if anybody has those concerns I want them to PM me and I’ll do my best to address them. I won’t say it’s not annoying. It is. I mean you’re making a donation DIRECTLY to the American heart association. From one paranoid writer to another, there are no Nazis hiding in the walls on this one.

This year, I got a few people who ignored all instructions and attempted to call Dan directly. Also annoying but innocent.

And then I got the all-timer. A lady who first emailed me to question why I didn’t send her an email immediately confirming that I received her script and wondering where her "feedback" was.

I replied letting her know when I received the script and also letting her know when it was forwarded to Dan. I then explained that she doesn't get feedback for her donation. She gets considered for representation by Dan and Benderspink -- just like my post says and just like John August and Craig Mazin pointed out in their podcast.

I also explained that being a single dad, having a full-time job, and pursuing my own writing career really limits my time and I really can’t be sending confirmation emails all day – I also pointed out (keep in mind I also explain all this on my donation page and tell people to email me directly if they need a confirmation or do a "read receipt" on their initial submission email) that I’ve never had an email routed to my junk folder and check it regularly. I finished the email by asking for her patience. My tone was probably a little curt and dickish because I can be a bit of a dick when people do dumb things but whatever.

She then proceeded to email and imply that this is all…a scam? That me and Dan have some evil plan to…raise money to fight heart disease and stroke?

She also emailed the actual American Heart Association staff listed on the Heart Walk website ranting and raving about this.

Unbelievable and even after all that she will still get her script fairly considered by Dan. I didn’t tell him about it. I’m praying she didn’t send him an email attacking his character and integrity, too.

I know I shouldn’t spotlight this crap but I don’t need this kind of stress so I'm venting. I am literally getting nothing out of this (let's be real karma doesn't exist, if it did I wouldn't be stuck in this coal mine). I personally gain NOTHING except MORE competition as a repped, unsold writer working his ass off to either sell a script and/or land a WGA assignment. I’m only one rung on the ladder up from you guys. I really can relate to the skepticism and paranoia and loneliness of this pursuit but some of it is just too much. It's borderline insane even.

I was starting to get to the point where I was questioning if it was all worth this type of aggravation but then the American Heart Association staffer that the lady sent the crazy email to sent me this…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VoP73f-Oh4

And I realized it was.

Okay, back to figuring out how to incorporate submission release forms into this…

Thanks again to all of the awesome apples for all your support.

Be patient. Dan is getting to scripts as quick as he can.
    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Re: 2012 Heartwalk Update...

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
    She then proceeded to email and imply that this is all...a scam? That me and Dan have some evil plan to...raise money to fight heart disease and stroke?
    This lady sucks - but this part made me lol.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

It's a PITA.
      There are always people who will be jerks.

It's worth it.

Thank you for doing it.

Comment

I don't post much on here Joe and even although I haven't taken advantage of what you and Dan offer (as I don't think I have anything ready), its the most kind-hearted and inspiration, not to mention invcentive thing I've come across on any writing site.

People are always bitching about HW being a closed shop, this is a real chance for someone to break in using their writing for what really is a small fee. Its a shame that one person (or a collection of more annoying people) may ruin that but I think everyone would understand if you don't do it again. I just hope that if that is the case the people who have harassed you and Dan, not to mention the Foundation, aren't the ones who come on and complain about the closed shop etc.

In the meantime I will donate this year, whether I submit or not as what you are doing is worth far more than the small amount you ask for.

Comment

Joe, I imagine should you do this next year - and, for the sake of the heart association I hope you do - that it will only be even more popular, with more money raised and even more headaches from the people who can't follow instructions, the typically desperate writers, the conspiracy theorists, etc.

Perhaps there are interns who work with Dan - someone there who could help manage and keep track of what now must be a rather large number of scripts.

It seems like you need someone willing to work for free to carry what looks to be an increasingly heavy load, all in the interest of a good cause. What if you posted an ad at a film school asking for (free) help?
          "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Damn. You're a better man than most, Joe; I totally woulda told Dan to junk the script right after refunding her donation money and telling her not to let the door hit her ass on the way out.

What a wacko.

Comment

Sorry to hear what you're going through, Joe. Thank you for doing this!

Comment

Hey Joe, you're doing a very noble thing with the heartwalk, helping fight a horrible disease and giving writers a chance to get their work read by a top management company. You've done plenty already and I hope you can keep it going next year but uderstand if you don't.

I participated in this last year and earned an open door with Dan and I owe that opportunity solely to you man. Regardless if anything ever comes of it, I just want you to know that I am truly grateful for what you have done for me....
                "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.-- The Late Great Bill Hicks...

Comment

Originally posted by LighterD View Post
                  Hey Joe, you're doing a very noble thing with the heartwalk, helping fight a horrible disease and giving writers a chance to get their work read by a top management company. You've done plenty already and I hope you can keep it going next year but uderstand if you don't.

I participated in this last year and earned an open door with Dan and I owe that opportunity solely to you man. Regardless if anything ever comes of it, I just want you to know that I am truly grateful for what you have done for me....
                  I'm in the same boat, thank you Joe.

Comment

See there, that's what you get for being a nice guy. Next time be a dick - works for me. Lol! Seriously though, thanks again for the shot... and the chance to support a worthy cause. (P.s. Tell your kid thanx for sharing.)

Comment

Joe, please don't let the... let's call them "misguided"... dampen your spirits. Honestly, you should be super proud of yourself, and so should Daniel, for doing this - it's a class act.

For my own part, I plan on donating (and submitting when I think I have something good enough) very soon. I really hope that you'll keep this up next year, because opportunities like this don't come along every day, but I get it if you & Daniel pass after this.

Have a good night, and thanks again.
                      Last edited by omdufro; 07-13-2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

You are doing a fantastic job for a noble cause and anyone who does not know the American Heart Association and its reputation must be living in their own world. And can you imagine what this lady is like in person? Then again, she's probably showed up at quite a few pitch fests.

I'm in the same boat. I'll donate and might submit. Either way its a win-win situation and being a screenwriter is just an added bonus.

Comment

Mother Teresa - Do It Anyway

People are often unreasonable,
                          illogical and self-centered;
                          Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind,
                          people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives;
                          Be kind anyway.

If you are successful,
                          you will win some false friends and true enemies;
                          Succeed anyway.
                          If you are honest and frank,
                          people may cheat you;
                          Be honest anyway.
                          What you spend years building,
                          someone could destroy overnight;
                          Build anyway.
                          If you find serenity and happiness,
                          they may be jealous;
                          Be happy anyway.
                          The good you do today,
                          people will often forget tomorrow;
                          Do good anyway.
                          Give the world the best you have,
                          and it may never be enough;
                          Give the world the best you've got anyway.
                          You see, in the final analysis,
                          it is between you and God;
                          It was never between you and them anyway.

Props to you and Dan for making a difference in spite of people who are just plain dumb.

Read more at Mother Teresa Poem : Do It Anyway
                          Get busy writin' or get busy dyin'.
                          http://www.kiva.org/team/hollywood

Comment

I really don't get it. This is about a donation, not query service. Joe and Daniel are great guys and are doing this for charity. The reading comes as a bonus, IT IS NOT THE MAIN PURPOSE of the campaign. If I was Joe and Daniel I would probably stop doing it and let all those haters to hit the wall of a real ignorance when they start querying agents/managers/producers.
                            Minds are like parachutes: they only function when open!

Comment

much respect Joe. What you and Dan do is a good thing and unfortunately whenever you set something like this up to help many, in your case on two different fronts, the people at the heartwalk and all of us unrepped writers, there will always be someone who will try to take advantage for the wrong reasons. And there will always be people who thing they are better than the big picture even though they have no ground to stand on.

Comment

Working...
                              X