Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Category 5 Entertainment

Their reading one of my scripts. Any news on them lately?

Re: Category 5 Entertainment

If they like your script, you'll hear back quick and they'll run with it. Happened to me, and they even said "we're gonna score, I want to manage you, blah blah." The script went to UTA, but it didn't go much further. When Cat 5 realized the script needed some more work, that was the end of it and the end of them managing me. So be wary of any long term relationship with them...

Comment

Yaeh, they've had one of my scripts for months. I sent emails but I never heard back so I called. The person who I'm dealing with said he had my script and was going to read. That was a month ago. I've giving up on them and have moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq
        If you don't hear back from them, or any rep or producer, that almost always means they've passed. There's no real reason to follow up, and especially not calling them. Move on after the first two weekends have passed and expect the worse.
        DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS.

Follow up, always -- with an email. Maybe the rep/producer hasn't read it yet. Maybe your follow up brings your material to the top of their reading pile. 2 weekends isn't a long time. I've had several rep offers 11-12 months after I sent my script in. 2 weekends is nothing.
        Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

^This.
          Friday I had a situation where I followed up w/ a very good lit manager. I hadn't heard anything for 6 weeks about the script they requested. I figured I'd bite the bullet, and hopefully I'd get a reason to go with the "no."

But to my surprise, my check-in email was responded to as such:

"Hey. I think you emailed your script before, right? But I looked everywhere in the inbox and trash, and don't see it. Can you re-send?" - Lit Manager's Assistant

So, clearly, the assistant had forgotten to get my script to his boss 6 weeks before . And my check-in a) got me the read I was hoping for, and b) put me in a good mood on a Friday afternoon.

So it's always worth checking in.

Comment

^
            And just to hammer the point home, there is never a reason not to at least send a followup email if you haven't heard anything. I've had frequent experiences identical to OCeeBee and BurningWorld, where someone will tell me that they never received the script (for whatever reason) and could I send it again, or it simply hadn't been read yet. In fact, the first script I ever wrote fell under the latter and it immediately went to the top of the stack for a weekend read.
            "No man gives me a crown. I pay the iron price... I will take my crown." -- Balon Greyjoy

Comment

Would someone be kind enough to PM me a contact at Cat 5. I've searched high and low.

Appreciated.

ChiliP

Comment

Originally posted by ChiliP View Post
                Would someone be kind enough to PM me a contact at Cat 5. I've searched high and low.

Appreciated.

ChiliP
                Check your PM.
                "No man gives me a crown. I pay the iron price... I will take my crown." -- Balon Greyjoy

Comment

Agree with ALWAYS...ALWAYS follow up.
                  Even if it's a simple thank you.
                  And that's a big thing to get a handle on.
                  I've read wayyy too many sour grapes on these forums the past few years;
                  and tons of so called professional experience based on professional creds???

Regardless of disagrees with me on this from people working at the agencies and management firms and studios, etc., this is a business.
                  And if you do a simple follow up with a thank you...it's going to be
                  remembered by the majority of contacts you're searching for the
                  majority of the time. If you have any idea of what it's like working those mailrooms or starting out as a rookie assistant, agent, etc., you know
                  what it's like.

Gonna deal with a holes? Yeah. They're everywhere, just like the good people are, and the good people working in the business outnumber the a holes.

I went through my first manager phase 6 years ago before I took break and left LA. I made my mistakes and have corrected them by simply taking control and responsibility for success, by starting up my own, small prodco, and am now coming back to LA with some meetings set up.

Anything can happen at anytime, so I'm not above doing the queries; going through networking for contacts, etc. And part of all this responsibility is doing the follow up.

Comment

I strongly agree-- follow up! There's no reason not to. Even though Cat 5 left me high and dry, if I hadn't followed up with some other managers who were interested in my latest script, I'd have missed out on additional meetings, and a new opportunity that came about with a much much bigger and better management company. And why? Because I followed up! And the crazy thing is that this other manager didn't particularly care my script, but he liked the writing. So now we're developing something new for me to write. So for the love of god, follow up! Just don't be a stalker.

Comment

Never gotten that far yet, but have wondered if an agent/manager/prod co asks to see your script and you mail it out to them, how would it be known to them it is a requested submission when received and not an unsolisited over-the-transom thing? I'm guessing they'll have you mark the package such that it will be recognized?

Noobies would like to know, please.

Comment

Here is a perfect example of why to follow up.

Back in October of last year I received a read request from Plan B Entertainment, 9 months later, I follwed up again and the script still hasnt been read, the interested producer took the script with him when he left to be onsite for a movie shoot for multiple months.

So they have asked that I resend it.

If someone requests the script, never assume its a pass until they tell you it is.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker12345 View Post
                          Yaeh, they've had one of my scripts for months. I sent emails but I never heard back so I called. The person who I'm dealing with said he had my script and was going to read. That was a month ago. I've giving up on them and have moved on.
                          Moved on? Given up? Not really good words for a writer to live by. You know in a second if they emailed you saying "We loved your script", you'd be doing backflips and bragging about it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliebro View Post
                            Never gotten that far yet, but have wondered if an agent/manager/prod co asks to see your script and you mail it out to them, how would it be known to them it is a requested submission when received and not an unsolisited over-the-transom thing? I'm guessing they'll have you mark the package such that it will be recognized?

Noobies would like to know, please.
                            I doubt you'd actually be snail mailing a hard copy, but on the rare occasion that might happen, just write "REQUESTED MATERIAL" on the envelope. But usually, you'll just email a PDF, in which case, I'd suggest putting "REQUESTED SUBMISSION" somewhere in the subject line.

Best of luck!

Comment

Good to hear follow up are actually getting read and responded.
                              Can someone PM Cat 5's contact info also, I have been looking to get in touch with them for a while now.
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X