No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The List of 2011 Biggest Flops Thus Far

Biggest Flops Of 2011 Thus Far

Anyone foresee anyone of these films bombing?
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Re: The List of 2011 Biggest Flops Thus Far

Huh. Some of those I didn't even realized had come out already.
    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Huh. Some of those I didn't even realized had come out already.

Can't flop more than that.
      "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
      -Maya Angelou

Comment

Green lantern was the obvious one for me.

Comment

Until I saw the trailer & poster stuff, I figured GREEN LANTERN would be okay. But many of the others were DOA... you wonder why they made them in the first place.

- Bill (today while looking at high school reunion picnic stuff, I discovered that a guy in my class's little sister became an actress, did a ton of TV work, was a regular on a soap for a few years, and has now retired)
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I'm shocked the Arthur remake made 33 domestically. Not really any surprises, though.

Comment

I had them all pegged as flops except Suckerpunch, which seems it couldn't decide on its target audience, and Prom, which I hadn't even heard of.

Nice to know the cheese-sniffer's working again. I had it re-tooled after watching Salt.
              Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Originally posted by dirtbottle View Post
                Green lantern was the obvious one for me.
                I seem to remember someone on here swearing up and down that GL would be Ryan Reynolds official coronation as a superstar.

I compared him to Colin Ferrel (another "pretty boy" actor being force-fed to the masses.)

Well what'a ya know....
                "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
                - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwood View Post
                  I seem to remember someone on here swearing up and down that GL would be Ryan Reynolds official coronation as a superstar.

I compared him to Colin Ferrel (another "pretty boy" actor being force-fed to the masses.)

Well what'a ya know....
                  I don't think it was me. I think reynold's is pretty good but I've always believed GL was a turd.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtbottle View Post
                    I don't think it was me. I think reynold's is pretty good but I've always believed GL was a turd.
                    Yeah, I wasn't implying it was you. Just thinking out loud. With Priest and GL flopping so badly, I can't help but admit that I wish failure on every C-list superhero flick or obscure graphic novel that gets made.

It amazes me how they think a graphic novel with maybe half a million fans in the world can somehow justify a $50M+ movie. (I don't know the fanship numbers of GL or Priest, but as an avid comic book fan as a kid -- I can honestly say I didn't give two shiny terds about GL.)

Funny how some genres and gimmicks in hollywood never die, but others get abandoned if *one* movie dares to just break even.

If C-list hero/graphic novel adaptations were treated like other genre and sources, they would've stopped making them 5 years ago.
                    "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
                    - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

The only one on that list I've seen is Sucker Punch, which is also the worst movie I've seen this year (though Red Riding Hood and Season of the Witch were close). But films like Green Lantern, Your Highness, and Arthur seemed terrible from the trailers so I'm not surprised. As for The Beaver, I always thought the hype around the script wasn't justified--and even had Mel Gibson been replaced by someone more, ahem, "popular"...I think the content made it a tough sell with audiences.

Any guesses for biggest flops of the rest of the year? Larry Crowne wasn't doing too well last I heard...

Comment

Originally posted by Brice View Post
                        The only one on that list I've seen is Sucker Punch, which is also the worst movie I've seen this year (though Red Riding Hood and Season of the Witch were close). But films like Green Lantern, Your Highness, and Arthur seemed terrible from the trailers so I'm not surprised. As for The Beaver, I always thought the hype around the script wasn't justified--and even had Mel Gibson been replaced by someone more, ahem, "popular"...I think the content made it a tough sell with audiences.

Any guesses for biggest flops of the rest of the year? Larry Crowne wasn't doing too well last I heard...
                        Yeah larry looked like a big loser from the get go but it should make it's budget back maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwood View Post

If C-list hero/graphic novel adaptations were treated like other genre and sources, they would've stopped making them 5 years ago.
                          V for Vendetta, not well or widely known.
                          Watchmen, well known but not widely known.
                          Thor is a C-list comic hero.

I think it's like everything else, if it's hot everybody wants to jump on the bandwagon but not everyone can deliver the goods. That doesn't mean it isn't worth pursuing. There are some really great stories out there for the right people to adapt for the big screen.
                          Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Originally posted by Brice View Post
                            ... As for The Beaver, I always thought the hype around the script wasn't justified--and even had Mel Gibson been replaced by someone more, ahem, "popular"...I think the content made it a tough sell with audiences.
                            i didn't see it because when i saw the title in the movie listings i thought it was a remake of leave it to beaver. totally honest. hey, i can't be completely faulted in that assumption when hollywood is pushing out remakes faster than i change clothes for a night-out. imho, this probably could have done better with a title more reflective of the "finding yourself" content. mel gibson's unpopular actions, while deplorable, won't stop me from watching him on screen. i think he's just that charismatic as an actor.
                            Last edited by asjah8; 07-05-2011, 07:58 AM.
                            life happens
                            despite a few cracked pots-
                            and random sunlight

Comment

I think Cowboys & Aliens will underperform.

Comment

Working...
                              X