No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Writers Guild Minimums

Hi all,

I've recently had the good fortune of having some people interested in a feature of mine. I'm unproduced and have been trying to find the minimums to expect from a sale or if I'm hired as a writer in Australia. I've found out that if I want this info I need to join the AWG in Australia for $320 which I don't currently have spare. Can anyone help me out with this? I just don't want to go in flying blind.

Re: Australian Writers Guild Minimums

Originally posted by Phoenixman78 View Post
    Hi all,

I've recently had the good fortune of having some people interested in a feature of mine. I'm unproduced and have been trying to find the minimums to expect from a sale or if I'm hired as a writer in Australia. I've found out that if I want this info I need to join the AWG in Australia for $320 which I don't currently have spare. Can anyone help me out with this? I just don't want to go in flying blind.
    Is the company you're dealing with even a guild signatory? If not, then there's no reason to worry.

I think you should wait until you get a contract in writing, and if it seems like the offer is worth it, get an entertainment lawyer to go over it. Then you can worry about the guilds. Without a hard offer, there's kind of no point.
    Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

There should be other ways to find this info out rather than having to shell out money just to get some numbers. If they, like the WGA, want to provide collective bargaining powers, legal support, etc. great. But they, like the WGA, should at least provide a basic PDF with some info like that in the spirit of helping script writers.

That said and granted this is an older thread, this same question came up ten years ago. With a little adjustment for inflation, it should be able to give you a decent idea.

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=27011

Also, the 3% or so rule of thumb for a sale should apply anywhere really. And you yourself can request a minimum no matter what as the producer can request a ceiling for the price paid out.

Hope this can help in some fashion.
      Will
      Done Deal Pro
      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
        There should be other ways to find this info out rather than having to shell out money just to get some numbers. If they, like the WGA, want to provide collective bargaining powers, legal support, etc. great. But they, like the WGA, should at least provide a basic PDF with some info like that in the spirit of helping script writers.

That said and granted this is an older thread, this same question came up ten years ago. With a little adjustment for inflation, it should be able to give you a decent idea.

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=27011

Also, the 3% or so rule of thumb for a sale should apply anywhere really. And you yourself can request a minimum no matter what as the producer can request a ceiling for the price paid out.

Hope this can help in some fashion.
        You would think they'd be helping for the spirit of writing but no, you can only access rates once you're a member and I have googled time and time again and found nothing. I knew about the old post and get where NYNNEX is coming from but hey I just wanted to know out of curiosity as well.

Comment

Working...
        X