No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer for Alien: Covenant

I smell a dud.

I will also be the first in line to see it, wearing my full alien creature outfit. (Which I am actually wearing as I write this, because it's a lot more flattering than you'd think.)

here's the link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316204/...?ref_=tt_ov_vi

Re: Trailer for Alien: Covenant

looks like just a "requel" version of the original. nicer planet to land on and a bigger crew but still just the same beats with some more CGI action

Comment

Do I have to see Prometheus first before watching this one, for it to make sense?

(this is an actual question, I'm not being a smart-a$$)

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
        Do I have to see Prometheus first before watching this one, for it to make sense?

(this is an actual question, I'm not being a smart-a$$)
        Maybe. Not sure you should though. Prom súper mediocre.

Comment

I actually *want* to see more of the engineer story line, but the trailer looks like an amped up splatter fest. Disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
            I actually *want* to see more of the engineer story line, but the trailer looks like an amped up splatter fest. Disappointing.
            I didn't agree with the decision to make the aliens their lab project. Going back to the original two flicks, I was always intrigued by the idea of "where in the hell did these things come from? What kind of mind-blowingly hostile environment could evolve such nasty, nasty creatures?"

I think it is/was a missed opportunity to nip that in the bud and make them artificial. Puts the emphasis on the engineers, which doesn't feel right to me.

But then again the whole franchise has gone way, way south since Cameron.

Comment

Aliens as a bio weapon makes perfect sense to me. While intelligent, they're way too erratic to have designed their own interstellar technology. The engineers make sense, and dovetail nicely with the pilot from the first film. Cameron's sequel was a great actioner, but its not the original.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                looks like just a "requel" version of the original. nicer planet to land on and a bigger crew but still just the same beats with some more CGI action
                Agreed. Yet from a marketing viewpoint, this kind of “reboot” (aka, “copycat flick”) can find a new (i.e., “younger”) audience because of its new stars, trading lightly (ha!) on the reputation of the original classic.

Up next:
                Alien Chainsaw Massacre!
                Followed by:
                Halloween Alien Chainsaw Massacre!
                And the 3rd leg of the tripod:
                Sharknado Alien Chainsaw Massacre!

On the other hand, the trailer for Life looks promising.
                “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by sixridgeroad View Post
                  I will also be the first in line to see it, wearing my full alien creature outfit. (Which I am actually wearing as I write this, because it's a lot more flattering than you'd think.)
                  Applause and full marks for style. No local theater here so I'll have to wait for the DVD again.

Originally posted by figment View Post
                  Yes. If only because Michael Fassbender is in both and there are things you ought to know.

Looking forward to this, in the same way I looked forward to Prometheus. Before I knew better, lol.

Comment

Despite all the issues with Prometheus, I still was interested to see the continued adventures of Dr Shaw and David.

This is because the engineers seemed more interesting than the aliens - they were tackling some pretty big subjects with the engineers like the origin of life and you just want to understand what they are all about. The alien is easy to understand, it's just a monster, but the engineers has that allure of mystery that is hard to beat.

This isn't to say Covenant will be a bad film, it could execute what it sets out to do very well, it's that what it's executing looks to be a standard monster/slasher film. I suspect we'll get some of the David and Dr Shaw through line tied into things, but I wonder if it's an afterthought. I doubt we'll get many answers partly because I suspect the writers don't know the answers themselves. I wish there was a higher intelligence behind it all, but I suspect it's just the writers sitting around going 'how on Earth do we explain all these things we threw in here because it seemed cool', it's easy to create that illusion of a grand design sometimes when there in reality isn't one.

Still, I do like Ridley's visual aesthetic, in terms of creating an atmospheric cold alien world he accomplishes that spectacularly. Prometheus looked and sounded fantastic. I mean you can always see Ridley's interest in architecture and other subjects shine through in his work. I just wish the story and characters were on par with the excellent visuals because then we'd have something amazing.

I'll still check it out of course, I just wish it was more ambitious (maybe it is and they are hiding it from us, in which case I'll take all this back down the line).

Comment

I'll wait for Netflix or a premium cable channel to grab this.
                      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Okay, I finally saw Prometheus. I don't actually know what it is that I saw, and basically have no idea what was going on.

The Weyland guy was alive the whole time and Shaw didn't seem very surprised when she found out -- but was surprised enough to forget the alien fetus she just aborted, mostly, it seemed, so it could grow until it could kill the Engineer dude that was resurrected. Did that even happen? I might have just imagined it as I was trying to piece everything together. Seemed like tons of plot was cut out, or maybe wasn't there to begin with.

Okay, whatever. Bring on Alien: Covenant!

I did like Fassbender's character, what a great actor that guy is. Glad he'll be in the sequel.

ETA: I was mistaken. It's not exactly Fassbender's original character in the sequel -- it's "Walter."

http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/micha...ant-promo.html
                        Last edited by figment; 03-11-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

The trailer is bad. The chestburster scene was cool and creepy, but that was FOX's trump card for the movie. If they had not shown it, then that would have been one of the high points of the movie, but now it's passe.

I mean, just imagine if the original Alien or Aliens had shown the iconic chestburster scene (Kane and the cocooned victim) in the trailer. It would have taken ALOT away from the movie in term of suspense and shock factor.

The title is also ill conceived. Covenant is just the name of some random colony ship in the movie? Oh my... obviously Ridley or whoever didn't bother to come up with something better.

And the story? Seems like a rehash of the original Alien. Just more crew members, i.e. higher body count. Is Katherine Waterson being groomed to be the next Ripley? What happened to Naomi Rapace?

PS: I didn't like Prometheus for demystifying the entire Alien lineage to be nothing more than a bio-weapon gone wrong.

Plus, the film was full of plot holes too, even it had an interesting premise of the Engineers behind it. For anybody interested or don't know about it, see:

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

Comment

Originally posted by Goliath View Post
                            PS: I didn't like Prometheus for demystifying the entire Alien lineage to be nothing more than a bio-weapon gone wrong.

Plus, the film was full of plot holes too, even it had an interesting premise of the Engineers behind it. For anybody interested or don't know about it, see:

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1
                            Read your link -- I think you gave more thought to it than anyone involved in the making of it. I should've read this before I watched it. While on-the-nose is bad, so is being super confused the entire movie, and not even knowing what you're watching.

Comment

I absolutely love it! Starting with "Prometheus" Scott has been knocking his comedies right out of the park. "The Martian" even garnered a Golden Globe award for Best Motion Picture (Comedy).

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X