What does 'no unsolicited submissions' mean exactly?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What does 'no unsolicited submissions' mean exactly?

no unsolicited submissions = don't submit your crap to us and expect to hear anything back*!

* unless it's actually a cool concept in which case we'll request it!

EJ

Comment

Usually it means - send a query letter is okay, but do not send a script.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I can't believe you guys forgot about the most charming way around this:

Pretend to rep yourself.

In all seriousness, I do agree that it's a blanket CYA on the receiving side to protect from the crazies who will claim you stole their idea about a guy who plays baseball...

It weeds out those who can't figure out how to jump through the first warm-up hurdle.

Comment

Re: what does 'no unsolicited submissions' mean exactly?

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
          In reality, "no unsolicited submissions" has two purposes from the agency or management company perspective. One is to protect themselves legally against your claim that they stole your idea and made a movie. The other is to try to slow th deluge of scripts (98% of them terrible) they are flooded with.
          In general, and especially with the big agencies like CAA, WME, ICM and UTA, if you send a snail-mail letter, it will be returned unopened with a form letter from the legal department that they do no accept unsolicited submissions.
          If you do it by e-mail, in all likelihood it will be deleted unopened.
          The way to get through is by phone. You get one shot for about about 30 seconds to get the attention of the targeted agent's assistant -- and get permission to send the script. The assistant then e-mails you a release, you sign it and send it backm and then send the script.
          I know this works because I have been successful on the phone with all four of the Big 4 agencies. Lots of others have, too.
          Good luck.
          If I may ask a dumb question... When you call, who do you ask to speak to? A specific agent, figuring you will only be connected to the agent's assistant? Or do you ask specifically for that agent's assistant?

Comment

What it really comes down to is: If you don't accept unsolicited QUERIES, than say so.

imho.

Comment

Working...
            X