Halloween's "Back From The Dead" Writ Exer.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Halloween's "Back From The Dead" Writ Exer.

It'll be my fourth.

Fair warning, I'm reading Stephen Kings' non-fiction memoir & how-to manual, "On Writing." Armed and dangerous.

Comment

1st time - I'm in I have two ideas, let's just see if I can fit one of them itno 8 pages.
      www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
      http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

I'm scratching my head, but it's not puzzlement...it's the lice. Other than that, I'm probably in. My short fiction is mostly horror so maybe I'll adapt one of my short stories. On the other hand, other than my "Lady Chocolate and Black Larry" short story, most of mine are psychological horror.

I'm gonna have to come up with something new, aren't I? DAMMIT!

Comment

Place a tick beside my name for the RSVP please.

I shall be attending, in full formal evening attire, somewhat akin to just being disinterred, shaken loose from a casket and brought ..."Back from the dead!"

One smallish question though; is there a time-limit on having something ready the read?
          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Was in the past two years... gonna try for a third...
            INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
            Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

Good to see the posse forming up!

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
              1st time - I'm in I have two ideas, let's just see if I can fit one of them into 8 pages.
              In theory you could write and submit both ideas -- 2 scripts allowed per participant (see post #7 above).

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
              One smallish question though; is there a time-limit on having something ready the read?
              Mmm? Deadline for script submissions is midnight on the 31st. We'll post the entries right after that and ask for votes to be returned during the first week of November. Maybe not even the full week, as everyone will be prepared for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                Place a tick beside my name for the RSVP please.

I shall be attending, in full formal evening attire, somewhat akin to just being disinterred, shaken loose from a casket and brought ..."Back from the dead!"

Could you just clarify Mr Southern? 'ready the read'?

Are you referring to pre-compet writing you'd like to enter?

And. . .

Welcome, welcome all, come and sit around our little fire.
                Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                  Good to see the posse forming up!

In theory you could write and submit both ideas -- 2 scripts allowed per participant (see post #7 above).

Mmm? Deadline for script submissions is midnight on the 31st. We'll post the entries right after that and ask for votes to be returned during the first week of November. Maybe not even the full week, as everyone will be prepared for this.
                  Ahh, instantaneous posting, Dpat and I must have posted answers at around the same time, so looks like doubling up.
                  Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Okay. . .

Who ELSE is in?

Comment

Go on. After giving people bad advice for the last year or so I guess I'd better put my clichés where my mouth is.
                      My stuff

Comment

For people that are new to this and/or thinking about entering, I think one of the most important, and often overlooked, aspects of this whole process is the reading of the entries.

I think it's good to every once in a while play the role of "reader" and try to determine which entry out of an ungodly amount is the one you would champion.

It always reminds me how very good scripts can somehow just miss the grade when you have to make that tough call and pick a "winner."
                        On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

I'm in. I have a thriller about a...writer, who must...write a story that's under eight pages...and he only has a month to do it or...well, you'll have to read.

On a side note: do people feel the need to register shorts like this with WGA?
                          Thoughts?

And, I'd be interested in being a reader.
                          SL35
                          Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
                            I'm in. I have a thriller about a...writer, who must...write a story that's under eight pages...and he only has a month to do it or...well, you'll have to read.

On a side note: do people feel the need to register shorts like this with WGA?
                            Thoughts?

And, I'd be interested in being a reader.
                            We're always very happy to have any extra readers, then go on to vote, you don't have to enter to be a reader even, it all adds to the running of a good competition.

But above all, we'd prefer you to enter, also, a few entrants/readers have been very generous with throwing up feedback on the boards afterwards. All very committed and good.

Actually, it'll be interesting to see how many entries we get this year, we've had compets averaging 8 for a numberof years but in recent times anythign up to around 16 - such as last year's Halloween compet if I recall?

Others will hopefully chip in on the WGA question.

Comment

Welcome aboard Jonjay, Earth and Silverlynx, btw.

A quick note on the post-compet READING...

Once the 31st October has arrived and the entries have been posted up in a separate thread, please bear in mind... and with prior entrants comments in mind:

It can be hard on the eyes to read, so please consider these tips:

Make a few notes as you go, I always forget to grab a pad and pen and do this.

Maybe skim read to begin with, to get an idea of content, and then commit later to a more careful read.

And finally don't jump in quickly, one of the most difficult aspects you'll find will be deciding on whether to preference content, as opposed to style, confidence of presentation or other aspects. It's not always easy to judge in this compet.

Neither should it be, I guess!

But don't get too hung up either, once you've written/rewritten... entered...and read through all the entries and voted, you'll owe yourself a beer on the other side, which is around 5 weeks away.

We're filling up now, quickly, and it's only day two.
                              Last edited by The Road Warrior; 10-02-2013, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I beg you, all of you.

DO NOT ENTER THIS CONTEST!!!!

It is cursed.

You will suffer in agony.

They never heed the warnings.
                                Hell of a Deal -- Political Film Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X