No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jojo Rabbit

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
    I realize this film has been out for some time now. Still, I could find it in a nice theater near me, saw it, and thought it was delightful. If anyone who lurks here hasn't yet seen it, do so. Some parallels with current events are striking, others mere fanciful imagination at play, but all of it is excellent.

With movies these days often being out of the theater in 2 weeks, this one has been around since last October, which is a very nice run. Did you see it in one of those theaters with the plush reclining seats or one of those art theaters with the uncomfortable seats sitting straight up?

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
      With movies these days often being out of the theater in 2 weeks, this one has been around since last October, which is a very nice run. Did you see it in one of those theaters with the plush reclining seats or one of those art theaters with the uncomfortable seats sitting straight up?
      Ha, ha, ha! It was nice enough as movie theaters go, a six-screen affair with one large screen and five medium-sized screens and rooms. It’s in an “upscale” area on the outskirts of my un-fair city in the suburban demilitarized zone between urban and rural areas, the small, safe harbor of literacy between urban decay and rural ignorance. The seats did not recline to any great degree, but sort of “bent backwards” slightly to accommodate theater-goers. The seats were well-padded and so were not uncomfortable. The recliner seats encourage me to fall asleep when a movie’s pace is too slow, its premise turns south, or its rhythm is off, none of which are traits of JoJo Rabbit.

My question is how is it that this one film remains when all others come and go in and out of theaters before they’ve had a chance to “breathe” like a fine bottle of wine? Is there some language in the film’s legalese for release that permits this wonderful aberration, and if so, how does that come about? I strongly advocate and encourage this practice.

I very much like that I can choose to see a film twice or even three times in a movie theater during its release without having to watch it too soon after the first or second time. I, for one, will drive anywhere within the county that comprises the city or, more rarely, beyond that circumference to go to a movie theater. I’m willing to do so because lately movie theater attendance seems down quite a lot and may be on the way out.

Going to the movies is a favorite pastime because increasingly it feels to me I may become that old man occasionally brought out to tell stories in his grandchildren’s elementary school’s library for a “living history” lesson, an “O.K., Boomer” geezer talking of days when if we wanted to hear music, we had to buy vinyl records to play on a turntable or turn on a non-portable radio, and in either case, stay near it to hear it; to speak of olden times when there were no cell phones (to interrupt movies), there was no streaming video, there were virtually no video games at all (Oh. My. God!), and to top it off, there were no personal computers and there was no Internet; to relate stories of the antiquated medium of film, when movie theaters were the most fun thing to experience for imaginative escapism since cranking on a Kenner “Easy Show Movie Projector,” whether to entertain ourselves or other children. Or, less relevant but no less fun, using clothespins to attach playing cards to the frames of bicycles to be beaten by the wheel’s spokes for sound effects, a thing impossible to do with a hoverboard.

Sadly—or gladly, as some might contend—those days are long gone, so we ought to enjoy the movie theater experience while we can still do so even though the comforting mechanical whirring of the movie projector has fallen silent with the advent of its digital demise, falling like a World War I soldier silenced by a technological bullet in the trenches of cinematic theater warfare. (good grief! )

Besides, popcorn at a movie theater is a treat that can’t be beat!
      Last edited by Clint Hill; 03-05-2020, 10:59 PM.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Ha, ha, ha! It was nice enough as movie theaters go, a six-screen affair with one large screen and five medium-sized screens and rooms. It’s in an “upscale” area on the outskirts of my un-fair city in the suburban demilitarized zone between urban and rural areas, the small, safe harbor of literacy between urban decay and rural ignorance. The seats did not recline to any great degree, but sort of “bent backwards” slightly to accommodate theater-goers. The seats were well-padded and so were not uncomfortable. The recliner seats encourage me to fall asleep when a movie’s pace is too slow, its premise turns south, or its rhythm is off, none of which are traits of JoJo Rabbit.

My question is how is it that this one film remains when all others come and go in and out of theaters before they’ve had a chance to “breathe” like a fine bottle of wine? Is there some language in the film’s legalese for release that permits this wonderful aberration, and if so, how does that come about? I strongly advocate and encourage this practice.

I very much like that I can choose to see a film twice or even three times in a movie theater during its release without having to watch it too soon after the first or second time. I, for one, will drive anywhere within the county that comprises the city or, more rarely, beyond that circumference to go to a movie theater. I’m willing to do so because lately movie theater attendance seems down quite a lot and may be on the way out.

Going to the movies is a favorite pastime because increasingly it feels to me I may become that old man occasionally brought out to tell stories in his grandchildren’s elementary school’s library for a “living history” lesson, an “O.K., Boomer” geezer talking of days when if we wanted to hear music, we had to buy vinyl records to play on a turntable or turn on a non-portable radio, and in either case, stay near it to hear it; to speak of olden times when there were no cell phones (to interrupt movies), there was no streaming video, there were virtually no video games at all (Oh. My. God!), and to top it off, there were no personal computers and there was no Internet; to relate stories of the antiquated medium of film, when movie theaters were the most fun thing to experience for imaginative escapism since cranking on a Kenner “Easy Show Movie Projector,” whether to entertain ourselves or other children. Or, less relevant but no less fun, using clothespins to attach playing cards to the frames of bicycles to be beaten by the wheel’s spokes for sound effects, a thing impossible to do with a hoverboard.

Sadly—or gladly, as some might contend—those days are long gone, so we ought to enjoy the movie theater experience while we can still do so even though the comforting mechanical whirring of the movie projector has fallen silent with the advent of its digital demise, falling like a World War I soldier silenced by a technological bullet in the trenches of cinematic theater warfare. (good grief! )

Besides, popcorn at a movie theater is a treat that can’t be beat!

I was going to watch Emma tonight, but ended up switching it up at the last minute to watch JoJo Rabbit again. Power of suggestion.

JoJo Rabbit probably managed to stick around for 5 whole months (unheard of in these times) because it's been pretty consistent in getting people to the seats. Cats was here like 2 weeks and out before I had a chance to watch it. I prefer AMC and IPIC for their luxury seats. I support Lammle because they play all the arty stuff no one else plays, but I personally hate their seats. And, Arclight is my least favorite. Inflated ticket prices, tiny drinks and uncomfortable seats. They should go with the times--movie theaters are all doing the plush thing these days to attract people. I personally love the theater experience. It's quite a different experience when you can see it on a huge screen. They have been playing a lot of old movies recently as one night engagements and it's quite a different experience seeing it on a huge screen with a lot of people versus at home on a home theater. JoJo Rabbit is one of those movies I'd rather see in theaters because you can see what the audience responds to. They were really taken by the heartwarming drama scenes and laughed at the comedic satirical scenes. That shoelace scene seems to get them every time. I just thought that Elsa character is very charming. She's written the opposite of what you'd think someone in her situation would act like. Yorkie is super endearing and funny. And Sam Rockwell just seems like he's able to bring humanity to any role. I don't know how the director got this cast, but with lesser talents this movie could have been a disaster. I wish they would play more of the classics back in theaters.

Comment

I was going to watch Emma tonight, but ended up switching it up at the last minute to watch JoJo Rabbit again. Power of suggestion.

JoJo Rabbit probably managed to stick around for 5 whole months (unheard of in these times) because it's been pretty consistent in getting people to the seats. Cats was here like 2 weeks and out before I had a chance to watch it. I prefer AMC and IPIC for their luxury seats. I support Lammle because they play all the arty stuff no one else plays, but I personally hate their seats. And, Arclight is my least favorite. Inflated ticket prices, tiny drinks and uncomfortable seats. They should go with the times--movie theaters are all doing the plush thing these days to attract people. I personally love the theater experience. It's quite a different experience when you can see it on a huge screen. They have been playing a lot of old movies recently as one night engagements and it's quite a different experience seeing it on a huge screen with a lot of people versus at home on a home theater. JoJo Rabbit is one of those movies I'd rather see in theaters because you can see what the audience responds to. They were really taken by the heartwarming drama scenes and laughed at the comedic satirical scenes. That shoelace scene seems to get them every time. I just thought that Elsa character is very charming. She's written the opposite of what you'd think someone in her situation would act like. Yorkie is super endearing and funny. And Sam Rockwell just seems like he's able to bring humanity to any role. I don't know how the director got this cast, but with lesser talents this movie could have been a disaster. I wish they would play more of the classics back in theaters.
          I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about the movie theater experience versus the home movie theater experience. We are fortunate to have a theater in town that partners with the city university's Center of Film and Media Studies to show films such as Battleship Potemkin, Festen/The Celebration, Slaughterhouse Five, Memento, Amarcord, and others like it.

Then there are "themed- showings of older movies, too. For their "Sun- series, there will Red Sun, Sunset Boullevard, Evil Under The Sun, and I'm surprised not to see Empire of the Sun.

To Kill A Mockingbird recently played in another theater in the city. There are three theaters owned by this same company, and whoever is in charge appears to have a love of cinema, enough to show films that have proven themselves as classics in one form or another. Hope it lasts!

Comment

I was lucky enough years ago to live in an area that had a theater showing older films. I was privileged to see Lawrence of Arabia and Casablanca on the big screen. Those desert shots of Lawrence of Arabia are really something to behold on a full theater screen.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about the movie theater experience versus the home movie theater experience. We are fortunate to have a theater in town that partners with the city university's Center of Film and Media Studies to show films such as Battleship Potemkin, Festen/The Celebration, Slaughterhouse Five, Memento, Amarcord, and others like it.

Then there are "themed- showings of older movies, too. For their "Sun- series, there will Red Sun, Sunset Boullevard, Evil Under The Sun, and I'm surprised not to see Empire of the Sun.

To Kill A Mockingbird recently played in another theater in the city. There are three theaters owned by this same company, and whoever is in charge appears to have a love of cinema, enough to show films that have proven themselves as classics in one form or another. Hope it lasts!

I wish I could see Sunset Blvd in the theaters. I recently saw Love Story, Ghost and Casablanca in the theaters and it's thanks to a few theaters that decided to dust off the oldies and put it in for one screening. I noticed that quite a lot of people showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
                I was lucky enough years ago to live in an area that had a theater showing older films. I was privileged to see Lawrence of Arabia and Casablanca on the big screen. Those desert shots of Lawrence of Arabia are really something to behold on a full theater screen.

Casablanca was amazing. For reason I didn't quite get it the first time when I saw it on TV, but seeing on the big screen changed my mind about it.

Comment

There are many great things about Casablanca, but among them was the great cinematography...the lighting, shadowing. It is way more noticeable on the big screen.

The movie could have just turned out like an average film of the time, but every craft and every one involved was just on top of their game and the stars aligned.

Comment

Casablanca was amazing. For reason I didn't quite get it the first time when I saw it on TV, but seeing on the big screen changed my mind about it.

I wish I could see Sunset Blvd in the theaters. I recently saw Love Story, Ghost and Casablanca in the theaters and it's thanks to a few theaters that decided to dust off the oldies and put it in for one screening. I noticed that quite a lot of people showed up.

Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
                    There are many great things about Casablanca, but among them was the great cinematography...the lighting, shadowing. It is way more noticeable on the big screen.

The movie could have just turned out like an average film of the time, but every craft and every one involved was just on top of their game and the stars aligned.

Comment

Working...
                    X