Halloween's "Back From The Dead" Writ Exer.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Halloween's "Back From The Dead" Writ Exer.

Tentative deadline is Thu 7th (end of day) which gives a full week for reading and pondering.

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
      Ah, okay. Thanks, Derek. I took Road Warrior's comment...

... too literally. I now see he was referring to a figurative "panel." I'll say this much, that Englishman has a unique mastery of the language.

Deadline for voting?
      Apologies for any confusion Bio or even abruptness. I was rushing my posts, it had been a very long and busy week indeed, so even stringing a sentence together was proving difficult.
      Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
        Ah, okay. Thanks, Derek. I took Road Warrior's comment...

... too literally. I now see he was referring to a figurative "panel." I'll say this much, that Englishman has a unique mastery of the language.

Deadline for voting?
        or if I hailed from the south, it might have read:

'ang on, 'ang on, what's got Bio's goat?

Last edited by The Road Warrior; 11-02-2013, 05:13 AM.
        Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

A little pissed off I couldn't get my second submission completed in time...

Kill the F'ing Cat!
          A wannabe Hollywood screen writer, Snake Blyder, seeks to get to a prestigious Hollywood party after his car breaks down and is confronted by a demonic black cat who's path he shouldn't cross.

Three attempts and couldn't get it to a state where I was willing to submit! Clearly needed more coffee.

Next year!
          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
            I worry that after around 6 entries readers will start to get bored. Scripts 7-20 will then suffer from skimming or just plain loss of excitement.
            I found this to be surprisingly accurate, at least for me. I read about 7 entries before I realized the next few I was just skimming the pages. I think I'll divide up the entries and read 6 a day for the next 4 days to give everyone a fair evaluation.

Comment

I've been reading about 3 or 4 at a time, stopping, and coming back a few hours later for another 3 or 4. This way it doesn't feel like work, and gives me plenty of time to get through them all.

I think anything more than 3 or 4 at a time makes this a chore and I find myself being even more dickish than usual in my notes.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                I know of no judging panel. Everyone is invited to read and vote, regardless of whether they submitted an entry or not.

In a whole lot of not bad way?

I'm mostly sure that none of these entrants are actually typing from behind a Hannibal Lecter mask.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                  I'm filing this under "Thoughts that would never even have occurred to me." Meh, it's just a fun contest, I'm voting for the scripts that appeal to me the most. I also missed seeing a clear front runner.
                  I was just ribbin' the contest. It's all in good fun. As for the front runner, there was one script that had some solid freaky writing. It stuck in my head. But I can see how others might disagree. After all, I thought last year's winner was the result of either clerical error or the voters being paid off with Black List coupons.
                  I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Any thoughts on the best way of feeding back on the scripts? I made notes as I went along, but given that means 23 paragraphs I would be a bit crazy to stick that in one post. If everyone did that you'd end up with a monster thread that would become unmanageable as writers sift through to find stuff relevant to their work.

However the opposite of this would be to have an individual thread for each script, which is equally silly.

So... what d'y'all reckon? Maybe have one thread for scripts 1-6, 7-12 etc. Then if your script is the first, you only have to check that first discussion for comments about your work. However there's nothing stopping you - or anyone - dipping into the other threads and contributing as you feel fit.

Or am I making this way too complicated..?
                    My stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
                      I've been reading about 3 or 4 at a time, stopping, and coming back a few hours later for another 3 or 4. This way it doesn't feel like work, and gives me plenty of time to get through them all.

I think anything more than 3 or 4 at a time makes this a chore and I find myself being even more dickish than usual in my notes.
                      Same here. I made a small spreadsheet with 6 categories to score on: structure, dialogue, etc., then chose randomly and read. Made quick notes of my impressions and scored 'em. Any more than 3-4 at a time, I zoned out.

Then I came back to the list today to see which ones left a lasting impression.

Some really good entries. I thought mine was good but I'll be surprised if I crack the top ten at this point.
                      SL35
                      Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jay View Post
                        Any thoughts on the best way of feeding back on the scripts? I made notes as I went along, but given that means 23 paragraphs I would be a bit crazy to stick that in one post. If everyone did that you'd end up with a monster thread that would become unmanageable as writers sift through to find stuff relevant to their work.

However the opposite of this would be to have an individual thread for each script, which is equally silly.

So... what d'y'all reckon? Maybe have one thread for scripts 1-6, 7-12 etc. Then if your script is the first, you only have to check that first discussion for comments about your work. However there's nothing stopping you - or anyone - dipping into the other threads and contributing as you feel fit.

I'd prefer to get notes in a PM.
                        I suggest that if you're interested in feedback, just post a request with your script title (after voting is done) in this thread. I'd be happy to shoot my impressions. That way, if a person would like more detail, it can be requested discreetly.
                        SL35
                        Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

When the veil of secrecy is removed and we stagger through the walk of shame I have no problems with feedback on my script being public. If I can get something from the feedback that's great, if someone else can too, even better. That's what we're all here for?
                          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                            I was just ribbin' the contest. It's all in good fun. As for the front runner, there was one script that had some solid freaky writing. It stuck in my head. But I can see how others might disagree. After all, I thought last year's winner was the result of either clerical error or the voters being paid off with Black List coupons.
                            Wait a minute -- I did win last year because of a clerical error. For a few hours anyway, then dPat figured out his calculator.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                              When the veil of secrecy is removed and we stagger through the walk of shame I have no problems with feedback on my script being public. If I can get something from the feedback that's great, if someone else can too, even better. That's what we're all here for?
                              Same here. Best way to do it, IMO.
                              Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jay View Post

I'm putting my 23 comments/paragraphs in one post...
                                FADE IN:
                                PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                                NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Working...
                                X