TrackingB TV Contest ('13 contest resulted in EXTANT at CBS with Spielberg)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TrackingB TV Contest ('13 contest resulted in EXTANT at CBS with Spielberg)

Visit http://www.trackingb.com/?page_id=9668

"early entry deadline is FEB 28; final deadline is MAR 30"

As for your other questions... The tracking boards are useful for a few reasons. The first is to see new loglines coming out from repped writers. You get a good idea for what managers/agents are willing to take out publicly. Furthermore when one of those sells it's an indicator for what people in the industry currently want. Does that mean YOU should be following that / chasing trends? Not necessarily. Keep doing your own thing, trust your instinct. I will say that chasing trends isn't a terribly effective strategy for getting something sold. As for industry pros being secretive or public about tracking etc., that's a whole other aspect of it. Sometimes people want to be silent about things, keep it under the radar, sometimes people want to hype it up. It all depends on the people involved.
    Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Also here is a fun story about tracking boards and their use.

When my script went out, it was mostly to producers. We didn't go to many buyers. CBS Films happened to see a tracking board listing, called my reps and said "this sounds cool, why didn't we get it?" Reps then sent it over to them and it sold.

So you could theoretically say that if it hadn't been for the tracking boards, my script MAY not have sold. It's impossible to know, but kind of an interesting thing to think about and is a great example of how luck definitely plays a role in becoming successful in the entertainment industry. At the very least tracking boards allowed it to sell quicker than the days when such sites did not exist.
      Last edited by CameronAlexander; 02-15-2014, 03:19 PM.
      Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Thanks very much.
        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by CameronAlexander View Post
          Also here is a fun story about tracking boards and their use.

When my script went out, it was mostly to producers. We didn't go to many buyers. CBS Films happened to see a tracking board listing, called my reps and said "this sounds cool, why didn't we get it?" Reps then sent it over to them and it sold.

So you could theoretically say that if it hadn't been for the tracking boards, my script MAY not have sold. It's impossible to know, but kind of an interesting thing to think about and is a great example of how luck definitely plays a role in becoming successful in the entertainment industry. At the very least tracking boards allowed it to sell quicker than the days when such sites did not exist.
          Awesome on the sale, do you think it mattered you were replied or not? Is it possible for someone to sell who isn't repped?

Comment

Originally posted by CameronAlexander View Post
            They have a solid TV pilot contest as well.
            Do you know if they have certain preferences when it comes to TV pilots? I have a goofy sitcom that I want to enter but I don't want to give away $75 if they're more inclined to serious stuff or hour long pilots.

Comment

1. It's definitely possible to sell something without a rep! It happens, especially for lower budget stuff in the indie world. That being said, without having a rep it is often very difficult to get read by meaningful people in the industry. Agents/Managers will help you get those reads easy, then set up meetings for you.

2. re: tracking b taste on pilots: all I can tell you is to look at their previous winners of their pilot contest. This is a good thing to do for not only tracking b, but ANY contest. Some places just seem to go after certain types of material. That being said, if you believe what you've done is great and have gotten good feedback, send it to them regardless of previous winners. I will say that comedy is THE MOST SUBJECTIVE GENRE OUT THERE. Franklin at the black list actually came up with statistics that back this up too. I think the comedy genre has the biggest standard deviation for average ratings.
              Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

The Insider is looking for anything that can break a new writer in to the industry. That's always going to be easier with a drama pilot than a sitcom pilot, so I'm pretty sure he favors drama pilots (last year when I was a finalist, my sitcom pilot was the only sitcom pilot and the other four were drama pilots). That said, as others have pointed out, write whichever you think will be the best overall script. Just make sure that if it's a sitcom pilot it's very unique and nothing like it has been done because that gives it a much better chance. Also -- I know that he likes grounded characters/situations, even though the hook/concept might be something outrageous and silly.

Good luck!

Comment

Was watching the tourney tonight and there was a freakin EXTANT promo. On CBS! During the game! EXTANT was just a script submitted to TrackingB one year ago. Are you kidding me?

Final deadline for the TrackingB TV contest is March 30th.

Comment

**bump**

final weekend for entries on this one... hope a donedealer will be this year's Extant...

Comment

Pricey, but I just entered two pilots. What the hell, I work two jobs. I have to spend the money on something.

Looking forward to June!
                      "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

TrackingB should announce results today according to the website. It was originally scheduled for the first week of June. Let's see what happens...

Comment

congrats to the finalists... all sound really good. any dd'ers?

Comment

They've been announced.

http://www.trackingb.com/?page_id=29989
                            Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

For those of you who still believe that the only contests worth entering must offer prize money and/or feedback, please read the link and perhaps rethink your position. And considering that most serious screenwriters spend thousands of hours honing their craft, is a one-time prize and notes from a $20 reader really the end game? Do you think Micky Fisher is complaining that his TrackingB entry cost him thirty bucks more than Page?

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/exta...rg-1201254597/

Comment

just got notice from Moviebytes that the early deadline for features is July 27th... Might as well save $ if you plan on entering and enter early... hope a dd'er is the next Extant!

Comment

Working...
                                X