This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Strong

Despite tepid reviews and politicized denigrations, I liked this movie a lot. It's a well-balanced movie story and the primary characters of the dozen soldiers all have well-written story arcs, all of which wrap up nicely. Writers Ted Tally and Peter Craig well know how to write action and nailed this script.

The editor for this film, Lisa Lassek, has an excellent sense of pace and rhythm. No shot lingers too long and no shot is cut short, and believe me, that really helps any movie land well. For me, it's obvious the director Nicolai Fuglsig also knows his craft very well.

For a war movie, the acting is great and reminiscent of the popular war movies that starred none other than John Wayne. If asked, I'd say Jerry Bruckheimer hit a home run with 12 Strong but the critics didn't see it go over the fence.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Re: 12 Strong

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...e-rose-on-film
    I will not fall into despair! I will keep myself hearty, till freedom is opportune!

Comment

Hello. I read the article and presume you agree with its politics. That's a left-handed way of stating your politics here where it isn't allowed, but I'll take into consideration you wish to be left-handed if you so choose.

As far as 12 Strong is concerned, perhaps the article's author has a point if you care to mingle politics with moviemaking. I don't. I go to a movie to be entertained. My parents did the same and enjoyed John Wayne movies and Rambo movies because they're great movies, politics be damned.

When you make a movie, the story has to have an angle. In 12 Strong, the angle is a patriotic one and it's gung-ho for the American heroes. It has a happy ending for the 12 men who went there, did that, and came back.

Yes, it's a war movie. All I'm saying is, as a movie, it's very well made. Check it out. It really works well on all levels.

This movie was the stuntpersons' and pyrotechnical persons' dream, too. The credits list was huge. There was an A-Camera, B-Camera, and a C-Camera. There were horses, for Pete's sake, so horse wranglers were involved, too.

A lot of people were employed to work for a while making this movie, and for the type of movie it is in its category, it's a very well made movie. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
        Hello. I read the article and presume you agree with its politics. That's a left-handed way of stating your politics here where it isn't allowed, but I'll take into consideration you wish to be left-handed if you so choose.

As far as 12 Strong is concerned, perhaps the article's author has a point if you care to mingle politics with moviemaking. I don't. I go to a movie to be entertained. My parents did the same and enjoyed John Wayne movies and Rambo movies because they're great movies, politics be damned.

When you make a movie, the story has to have an angle. In 12 Strong, the angle is a patriotic one and it's gung-ho for the American heroes. It has a happy ending for the 12 men who went there, did that, and came back.

Yes, it's a war movie. All I'm saying is, as a movie, it's very well made. Check it out. It really works well on all levels.

This movie was the stuntpersons' and pyrotechnical persons' dream, too. The credits list was huge. There was an A-Camera, B-Camera, and a C-Camera. There were horses, for Pete's sake, so horse wranglers were involved, too.

A lot of people were employed to work for a while making this movie, and for the type of movie it is in its category, it's a very well made movie. That's all.
        What a big, ridiculous defense of a gung-ho movie. Politics be damn, but I'd like to see other people reflected. Something like Megan Leavey. There are people of color that are in the military. You do know that right? But we constantly have to see someone like Clint. They're the hero. They save the day. Enough. It's awesome too that there was a A camera and D camera.

I'll sit in a theater if I'm interested in the production. I'm not interested in 12 strong or the new clint movie. I look forward to clint making a movie about someone like Paddock and why he snapped in Vegas. No need to make a movie about the taliban, make a movie about the terrorists that live in our country.
        I will not fall into despair! I will keep myself hearty, till freedom is opportune!

Comment

Originally posted by nycscreenwriter View Post
          What a big, ridiculous defense of a gung-ho movie.
          I don't believe so. Patriotism is not ridiculous when it gives you the platform to speak your mind freely as you have done here.

Politics be damn, but I'd like to see other people reflected. Something like Megan Leavey. There are people of color that are in the military. You do know that right?
          Yep. Served with all races in my military time. In fact, it was part of our mission goals in Public Affairs to ensure equality and fairness for every military person serving the country (aside from that, you also presume I am not a person of color, which I find amusing). There was both a black character and a Hispanic/Latino character in 12 Strong, by the way.

But we constantly have to see someone like Clint. They're the hero. They save the day. Enough.
          Yes, well, then don't go see those movies, bro. Go see French films. Besides, that demographic is fading away and so will the movies that cater to them. But there will always be heroes — firefighters, policemen, intelligence agents of all stripes, even ordinary citizens, and yes, military heroes, too. It would be difficult to have a decent movie without a hero or two, don't you think?

It's awesome too that there was a A camera and D camera. I'll sit in a theater if I'm interested in the production. I'm not interested in 12 strong or the new clint movie.
          Now there's a more sociable response. For the record, I may not be interested in the new Eastwood movie, either, but it took a lot of courage on the part of those persons who took action on that train rather than letting things happen to them. My opinion is it would be a good documentary, although I wouldn't make it a movie, but I'm not Clint Eastwood. It may be a great movie, but if you were on the train that day you might not like to see it as a movie.

While working as a civilian in Washington, D.C., I saw the raw footage of the mission of 12 Strong as they took off on horses in the night at the start of that mission. There was a lot of suspense and anticipation waiting for updates because their communications were limited. Being on the “same team” makes you care about them and root for their success. Would I rather the U.S. was not in a military fight all the time? Sure. But that ain't happening. I never expected to see it as a movie, either, but here it is as 12 Strong.

I look forward to clint making a movie about someone like Paddock and why he snapped in Vegas. No need to make a movie about the taliban, make a movie about the terrorists that live in our country.
          Because of the unhappy endings of the tragedies you suggest as movie stories, probably they would be good fare for a documentary, and no doubt they are in the works as such, but for my money, a movie has to have at least a stalemate ending, but preferably a positive one. Downers don't do well at the old box office. A documentary example: Oklahoma City springs to mind. I wouldn't pay to see it as a movie, though. We went out there for “Navy/Marine Corps News” when smoke was still coming from the concrete. You need not convince me of domestic terrorism or the need to cover it.

Movies are made for profit, not principles. Just because I like a war movie doesn't mean I agree with making war. I don't. Without killing any human beings for some kind of gain or profit, there are plenty of other wars to fight — poverty, ignorance, and disease, to name a few. But that's not the kind of fare that creates big box office.

Here, we're talking about movies, supposedly. Sure some of these movies take a political stance, but I don't have to agree with the political angle of a movie to tell whether or not it's well made. Most of all, they need to turn a profit while being a good story well told. That's what is 12 Strong.

Even as retired military, “I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.”

I'm pretty sure you'll scoff at that, too, but that doesn't matter to me. You can return to ignoring that the same way you did before you knew it.

But, you might acknowledge that the people who believe in and fight for the principles on which our nation is founded, while they don't need your praise, they do help to make it possible for you to say whatever you like, here and elsewhere.

In the U.S., we can call our nation's president all kinds of names and no one will be arrested for that. Elsewhere, heads will roll... literally roll. A lot of liberals seem to forget that they can speak their left-leaning remarks because of the type of people who serve our country.

What are the reasons Jerry Bruckheimer would bankroll a movie like 12 Strong? I don't know; you'll have to ask him. Unlike me, believe it or not, Jerry Bruckheimer is a conservative but I like the movies he produces. That's really the long and the short of it.

It sounds more to me that you have a screenplay to write to correct the frustrations you have and order things to be as you would like to see them on the silver screen.
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 02-04-2018, 12:55 PM.

Comment

I've only seen the trailer, but it was so jaundiced from the outset that there's a moment where even the horse literally stands up to terrorism.

I felt I was good letting that be both my ambassador and endpoint to the whole experience.

Comment

I only saw one of the two airliners hit the Twin Towers as I sat in my condo less than seven miles from the Pentagon as it, too, was attacked, but the sight of the Twin Towers burning was so powerful an image that there was a moment in the days following the attacks when even I literally stood up to terrorism.

I felt it was fitting to allow that to be the catalyst that caused me stand up and take an action to help to put an end to what the victims, firefighters, first responders, and the nation suffered in the whole experience.
              Last edited by Clint Hill; 02-05-2018, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Not being interested in this genre of film does not equal "not supporting the troops" and ones proximity to 9/11 is irrelevant to the quality of any film.

Let's skip the sanctimonious lecturing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance View Post
                  I've only seen the trailer, but it was so jaundiced from the outset that there's a moment where even the horse literally stands up to terrorism.
                  Getting a horse to lie perfectly still and then stand up on a visual cue with all that tack on is quite a feat, and I sure as hell know all about it. Someone who's a very good horse wrangler spent a lot of time and effort with a very smart horse to accomplish that training well ahead of the shooting day.

As far as the movie itself, the force of a blast wave strong enough to knock out a horse was a more likely reason to have a visual demonstration of how invincible was the hero's mindset and physical abilities, as he was standing in that shot before the horse got up.

Whatever abstract concept you're imbuing the horse to have is immaterial. In the movie, the horse took the brunt of the shock and protected the hero.

Comment

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
                    Not being interested in this genre of film does not equal "not supporting the troops" and ones proximity to 9/11 is irrelevant to the quality of any film.
                    Indeed. The very reason my initial comments were directed toward the movie as a movie and how it was made, not what it so obviously stands for.

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
                    Let's skip the sanctimonious lecturing.
                    Hit their mark, did they? Please do “skip” the lecturing.
                    Last edited by Clint Hill; 02-06-2018, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X