No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interstellar

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
    In theoretical Physics, through string theory, gravity can traverse dimensions. He communicated using gravity.
    In String Theory, gravity can escape off our 3D space into the higher-dimensional multiverse, but it being able to travel through time was made up for plot purposes.

Strangely enough, if there is a fifth spatial dimension, according to ST, it's curled up so small nothing can exist there, including our future selves.

As for the morse problem, it shouldn't be a surprise Murph understood it, because it's one of the first important things she learned from Coop.
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

I think the idea was that they would send a robot to dip inside past the event horizon, gather quantum information about the singularity, and then somehow, maybe escaping out past the event horizon, transmit the information.
      I just saw it last night and I remember the crew discussing Gargantua being used as some sort of wormhole, out of nowhere. I may be wrong because some of the dialogue was hard to hear, but I was definitely confused as to why the crew would even think that.

Dr. Mann although a genius, probably wasn't a good choice for the mission given that he could not handle that his planet wasn't the one. He couldn't sacrifice himself.
      But the crew saved him. All he had to do was admit that he lied, and that they should go to Planet Hathaway instead. They would have been angry, but what were they going to do, kill him for falsifying data? Mann was already rescued, and he still wanted to put Plan B into effect. They could have done it together, unless I'm missing something.

Mann explained that people would not go unless they thought it would save the world.
      I got that, but did he seriously hide his secret from everyone else back on earth as well? For decades?

In theoretical Physics, through string theory, gravity can traverse dimensions. He communicated using gravity.
      Yeah but I was wondering how they were seeing the messages in binary.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
        In String Theory, gravity can escape off our 3D space into the higher-dimensional multiverse, but it being able to travel through time was made up for plot purposes.

Strangely enough, if there is a fifth spatial dimension, according to ST, it's curled up so small nothing can exist there, including our future selves.

As for the morse problem, it shouldn't be a surprise Murph understood it, because it's one of the first important things she learned from Coop.

I thought, in theory, the time dimension was just as accessible in the fifth dimension as spacial (x,y,z) movement is accessible to us.

I got Murph understood morse, but making the sweep second hand of a watch a gravity powered communicator seemed stretchy to me. especially since it wasn't really a programmable kind of watch. It seemed like a mechanical watch, and Murph is reading it back at her secret underground laboratory away from any gravity fields near the house.
        TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
          I just saw it last night and I remember the crew discussing Gargantua being used as some sort of wormhole, out of nowhere. I may be wrong because some of the dialogue was hard to hear, but I was definitely confused as to why the crew would even think that.
          I don't remember the crew thinking of using Gargantua as a wormhole, but I myself thought that that was the case when they first entered the wormhole at Saturn on their way to the other galaxy. I remember reading that when Carl Sagan was working on his novel "Contact" he wrote Kipp Thorne about being able to use black holes to travel through space. Thorne sent Sagan 50 pages of equations showing that you can't do it through black holes but you can using worm holes, so Sagan had his advanced aliens create a transportation system utilizing wormholes.

But the crew saved him. All he had to do was admit that he lied, and that they should go to Planet Hathaway instead. They would have been angry, but what were they going to do, kill him for falsifying data? Mann was already rescued, and he still wanted to put Plan B into effect. They could have done it together, unless I'm missing something.
          Yea, but that would have made sense. I really don't know except Mann was just nuts.

I got that, but did he seriously hide his secret from everyone else back on earth as well? For decades?
          Well maybe Murph really wasn't all that smart. Yea it's hard to believe that no other Physicists would scratch their heads saying WTF?

Yeah but I was wondering how they were seeing the messages in binary.
          TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

I thought, in theory, the time dimension was just as accessible in the fifth dimension as spacial (x,y,z) movement is accessible to us.
            The idea that a fifth dimensional being would see time like a physical dimension was just some made up BS. We're high-dimensional beings. Do we "see" time? A 4D being can see hyper-cubes, but time would still flow forward unseen.
            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

I'm saving up all my money for Hans Zimmer's MasterClass. And, yes it's a MasterClass about film scoring. I am so excited.
              TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Working...
              X