X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why I don't like (most) contests

Excellent post, Harbinger.

Bill Wheeler won Sundance with a script that had, I believe, no attachments.
    GirlinGray

Comment

I think Sundance makes it very clear that they're looking for filmmakers. Every screenwriting project picked this year had a writer/director involved with it. There are no false pretenses.

And at 35 bucks an entry, I don't think they're in it for the money.

Comment

Good to know.
        GirlinGray

Comment

I'm back! Script #4 draft done! Exported it into my Final Draft demo just to run some of their cool reports (both Abdullah and Abdallah came up with speaking lines; it's the latter). Now to the polish stage for the rest of this week, each day after work, and to market thereafter!

But not to one single, darned contest. And the coverage industry... forget it.

There's one member here I might like to ask about reading it. We'll see. A fellow "Dr. Strangelove" fan.

Oh, and I missed this earlier...

Originally posted by GirlinGray
          Catcon, I didn't judge your material. I told you how someone industry reading those notes would interpret them and told you do yourself don't post them online. If you want to shoot your career in the foot posting notes online that will guarantee anyone who sees them won't read your script more power to you but please stop whinging and implying I said something other than what I said.
          The "untarnished translation" ie. "coverage" of my "coverage" that preceding your suggestion that I, tail between my legs, remove my post, suggested plenty that wasn't in the original coverage, which I described as being off base by quite a bit anyway. Seems it was just an opportunity to "whing" at a fellow writer, not having the actual script in hand, after all.

Whatever, as far as taking things down, nothing is going to make me take down that precious post! That script is going to make money (already led to my first assignment), and at that point I'll look forward to people seeing it and having a chuckle for as long as it's around.

Perhaps, in the interests of avoiding potential negative posterity, others may wish to remove their posts following mine. nyuk nyuk.

With this kind of optimism, I should be getting three cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
            Firstly, Marguax is indeed.... I can confirm from googlin'.....HOT! And by her facebook photo, it looks like she could kick my ass... which kinda works for me too.
            Hot chicks can tend to have a hard time accepting criticism because it's possible for them to go through life without facing much of it. Could explain the deletion of negative responses on her blog and ultimate deletion of the original two blog entries.

Still would, though.

Comment

Or if someone rejected her script for the same reasons she gave, do you think she'd be okay with that? When in doubt, I always try to apply the old Golden Rule.

Comment

Bill,
                I think there are a lot of contests and readers with a "10-page rule." The real problem is, she seemingly didn't follow that.

She pre-judged scripts based on a title, the location of the writer and the first 2-3 pages -- this by her own admission. She was looking for any excuse to get through these scripts besides the quality of the scripts themselves.

Also, these were scripts that supposedly had made the cut -- meaning someone before had thought they had something worthwhile about them.

Also, someone (I forget who, it was several pages ago in this thread) asked if film festivals and the like screen the entire movie. I was a judge several years ago for the Peabody Awards, and we watched every minute of the videos submitted in our category.

Comment

I see there has been a lot of discussion here while I was out trying to enjoy the 4th.

Since this thread has already hit 200 plus posts and it's starting to drift off the topic here and there, please look at wrapping it up. Also, please remember to be civil about any topic and with one another. Thanks.
                  Will
                  Done Deal Pro
                  www.donedealpro.com

Comment

All screenwriting contests are scams. SCAMS. You're being fooled and offered false hope.

Comment

Is there a reason why I keep checking out her blog?

http://thisisyourpilotspeaking.wordp...-got-sunshine/

Talk amongst yourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
                        All screenwriting contests are scams. SCAMS. You're being fooled and offered false hope.

Oooh, now THAT'S civil.

Comment

Originally posted by glantern2814 View Post
                          Is there a reason why I keep checking out her blog?

http://thisisyourpilotspeaking.wordp...-got-sunshine/

Talk amongst yourselves.
                          Good thing she knew a cute toddler so she didn't have to rent a puppy for the sympathy photo.

Comment

Mariot, I so enjoy your posts.
                            GirlinGray

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post
                              Good thing she knew a cute toddler so she didn't have to rent a puppy for the sympathy photo.
                              but a puppy would have been so much cuter. besides, that photo was old b/c her eyes weren't all puffy and red from crying over the weekend.
                              and i don't think that works with men, does it?
                              oh, she knew that... and threw in that 'i hope your scripts look like this' photo LOL!

keeping name and contact information OFF a competition script makes sense but it a competition on the best script... not the most market available.

Comment

*sigh*

Some people need to learn to apologize and then stop talking.
                                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Working...
                                X