BBC owns all British history or royal rights?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC owns all British history or royal rights?

Is it true that either the BBC owns all the rights to British history and you need a UK passport in order to get financing for these things or to be staffed on a show like White Princess/White Queen, etc?

Or is it that they own the rights to the British royalty - like life rights?

Someone who probably knows and who I should believe just shut me down from even trying to write about anything in this arena without a UK passport. She said because of the financing issues, I'd be better off writing a book.

Re: BBC owns all British history or royal rights?

So much to unpack here!

No, no one "owns" British history? How would that work?

You do need to be British to get funding from the BFI or somewhere like that and you are very unlikely to be funded by the BBC if not British.

Staffing has nothing to do with it.

Financing anything is hard and yes, you are at a disadvantage if not a Brit but THE IMITATION GAME was written by an American and directed by a Norwegian.

Comment

Thanks. I'm plowing ahead.

Comment

Your best bet in terms of getting any kind of development or production support for your project would be to align yourself with a British producer. And one that has links to the BFI. Look at films previously funded by them on IMDB. It’s notoriously hard to get any ‘soft money’ traction with the likes of BFI, Film 4 etc. There’s also a a bunch of sub-divisions within this funding system now based on which part of the country the film is set and where the writer/director/ producer etc are based.

Best of luck with the project. There’s a few screen international articles kicking around charting the top 50 prod cos in the uk. They’d be worth approaching and most are open to unsolicited submissions too should you not have a rep to send it via.
        Last edited by Mintclub; 05-20-2019, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks, MintClub. I think that was my agent's concern. But I know a guy who knows some guys/gals. Hopefully that will pan out, she said optimistically!

Comment

Working...
          X