Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Do You Do Funny?

"Comedy"? What's the point of it? Only idiots laugh at jokes.
    Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
    "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

More comedians become dramatic actors than do dramatic actors become comedians. This is because of the skill for timing required of good comedians, a thing which cannot be taught, only learned from experience.

I’m a fan of deadpan humor, dark or light.

BOB
      You know, don’t you, when I said
      that I was only half-joking?

CAROL
      Really? Then what about
      the other half?

Pat Paulsen for President!
      Last edited by Clint Hill; 07-28-2020, 08:14 AM.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Well, I do know one thing about comedy - the only funny clown is a dead clown.

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
          Well, I do know one thing about comedy - the only funny clown is a dead clown.
          https://giphy.com/gifs/scary-clappin...-AwoDg0wJImOjK
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            you hear grounded vs broad comedy from many industry reps and pros writers
            Originally posted by Prezzy View Post
            ...My impression was if it ventured into the silly, over the top, and implausible ... it was broad. But if it was something that may be ridiculous, but still retained a semblance of real-life ...it was still considered to be grounded.
            I always thought jargon like that was used by sales reps in discussing the market... something that happens after the movie has been written, shot, edited, and ready for distribution?

in the sales world, they consider what they are up against, what's recently been released, what going to be released around the same time as your movie, and how to sell the one sheet.

IMHO, that way of thinking doesn't help you write a good script
            Ricky Slade: Listen to me, I intentionally make this gun look that way because I am smart.

Comment

Some really bad advice on this forum. And only some of it is from me.

Comment

Some really bad advice on this forum. And only some of it is from me.
                I was just asking a question, no accusing you of anything...

my point was just staying with a common theme or sub-genre... I think like Prezzy said, audiences want to know when to laugh at a joke, they want to be in on the joke
                Ricky Slade: Listen to me, I intentionally make this gun look that way because I am smart.

Comment

I don't pretend to have all the answers -- I just share what I've "learned" over the years and none of it may be right but it comes from actually dealing with producers and reps.

So I know it stinks -- and I agree write what you want -- but I'm just giving you the facts that what you want to write may not be what reps can sell.

Comment

I don't pretend to have all the answers -- I just share what I've "learned" over the years and none of it may be right but it comes from actually dealing with producers and reps.

So I know it stinks -- and I agree write what you want -- but I'm just giving you the facts that what you want to write may not be what reps can sell.
                    I only speak for myself, but I appreciate you taking the time to share your insight to give other writers without a rep's input a heads up on what to potentially expect in the spec market.

Comment

[... if producers and agents knew anything about writing screenplays they wouldn't need us]

being a writer means I'm the only one that actually knows what the movie is really about ... it sucks having to lower myself down to their level and let them read my brilliance and share with them what is pure gold

It's like, I don't wanna wear a tie and kiss some actors ass, that really's your job and just save me from having to tell you your job, I need to be motivated to write more pages, so you have something to sell because without me you have nothing to sell, I create everything I am your GOD... to be honest, I don't even give you best work, I wrote some amazing pages the other day and threw them in the trash, why be they are too good for you... see that title on the screen, that's my name, there's no agent credit on screen

the other day I thought of a perfect story, starring your favorite actor, Ryan Gosling... and I didn't write, you know why? because he ****... and you represent him and that's why I hate you. I've hated you every day since I saw you with him at the Ivy and was like this is Hollywood, this is who reads my ****... fvcking mickey mouse chewable Xanax... where's my voucher, how do I leave! This isn't even Melrose, this is Mid-City, clean up this...

[this will liven up this thread... lol]

Comment

Originally posted by Julysses View Post
                        being a writer means I'm the only one that actually knows what the movie is really about ... it sucks having to lower myself down to their level and let them read my brilliance and share with them what is pure gold

It's like, I don't wanna wear a tie and kiss some actors ass, that really's your job and just save me from having to tell you your job, I need to be motivated to write more pages, so you have something to sell because without me you have nothing to sell, I create everything I am your GOD... to be honest, I don't even give you best work, I wrote some amazing pages the other day and threw them in the trash, why be they are too good for you... see that title on the screen, that's my name, there's no agent credit on screen

the other day I thought of a perfect story, starring your favorite actor, Ryan Gosling... and I didn't write, you know why? because he ****... and you represent him and that's why I hate you. I've hated you every day since I saw you with him at the Ivy and was like this is Hollywood, this is who reads my ****... fvcking mickey mouse chewable Xanax... where's my voucher, how do I leave! This isn't even Melrose, this is Mid-City, clean up this...
                        .... But I like Ryan Gosling...

Comment

Originally posted by Prezzy View Post
                          .... But I like Ryan Gosling...
                          That's NOT how you do funny. Haven't you seen how that bastard ruined Blade Runner?

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
                            That's NOT how you do funny. Haven't you seen how that bastard ruined Blade Runner?
                            Ummmmm... No?

But in terms of how to do funny, it's always worth looking out for moments to include a well-timed, little button on a scene.

My Ryan Gosling line clearly did not amuse you due to your blinding hatred of him, but a short, awkward statement by a second or third character after another character storms out following an epic rant is one way you could do it.

Comment

Since we're talking about actors, I just want to go on record and say that I think Mark Wahlberg is the best comic actor of the last 20 years -- and he doesn't even have a background in comedy.

His broad comedy roles, like Ted and Other Guys and Daddy's Home, perhaps could have been done by anyone (the scripts were funny by themselves), but his performances in movies like I Heart Huckabees, Pain & Gain, Three Kings and Boogie Nights were SO subtle and specific, and SO nuanced and different, I can't think of another actor who could have done them all, and so well.

This is coming from a guy who absolutely HATED Wahlberg when he was dancing around in his underwear on MTV 30 years ago.

Comment

Wahlberg's intentionally terrible acting in The Happening to spite that stupid script is still probably the most hilarious thing he's ever done in my mind.
                                Last edited by Prezzy; 07-29-2020, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X