Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Query Help, Pls.

I'm new to the forum, not to writing and the biz. In a quandary and would appreciate any advice. Need to change (deadbeat) management. However this is the first time in years I've had to get out there and look, haven't a clue. Previously I'd always lucked out, either been sought out by a rep or just been butt lucky. Well, not this time. I've worked, written scripts and done rewrites for producers around town, have optioned five different original scripts.

I see where many of you have contacted various managers and agents via email. Forgive my ignorance, but how? Is there a system to contacting people at agencies? Do you just call the ass'ts? Do you include log lines in your queries? Any and all advice greatly appreciated. It's a good thing the only stupid question is the one you don't ask or I'd jump out the window right now! Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-12-2019, 02:52 PM. Reason: Formatting

Re: Need Query Help, Pls.

You can buy subscriptions for contact info for agents, lawyers and managers here at Done Deal Pro and/or IMDB Pro. You can email query letters or phone. You can also ask people you have done work for if they could recommend someone for you.
    Last edited by Joaneasley; 02-12-2019, 03:07 PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

Off Joan's kind mention of our site, we're probably best for figuring out which agent, manager, producer/production company, etc. to target based on your material: story, genre.

We do have some contact info, but it's not nearly as extensive as something like Studio Systems or IMDBpro. Some contact info, but not tons on our part. What we frequently hear from people is they use our site's advanced search pages to research who & where to send queries to and then supplement what they need in terms of emails or whatever, with IMDBpro.
      Will
      Done Deal Pro
      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Appreciate the advice and help. I realize now I should've perused some forum threads before reaching out. Like a lot of users I use IMDb Pro and am on it, other services. Plus am doing DD on potential reps.

Next comes trying to reach rep A or B at company C or D. Am clueless about the various company email structures out there; you know, how to contact someone at Gersh as opposed to Anonymous, etc. The generic info addresses I'm sure are useless. I've picked up there's a lot of PMing going on here about this dilemma. Great!

This site is a valuable resource for writers. I'm grateful it's here and am gonna jump in. I have my share of scars and experiences and will chime in when appropriate. Thanks!
        Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-13-2019, 11:34 AM. Reason: Formatting - added paragraph breaks

Comment

Glad we'll be hearing more from you. Here is one more tip. People on this forum ask each other for the email structure of a company they are targeting and get answers. There is strength in pooling our information.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Odaley View Post
            I've worked, written scripts and done rewrites for producers around town, have optioned five different original scripts.
            Curious as to why you feel a need to query rather than use your contacts. You don't have an agent or lawyer?

Comment

No agent right now, trying to change managers. Using referrals sure, just trying to cover all the bases.

Comment

Working...
              X