Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

Ok, Roger O opened the door. I'm going full political too!

I could never understand why the second amendment is sacrosanct compared to all the others. Nobody seems to care that the first amendment is violated routinely. Freedom of the press has been restricted numerous times in the past, and vehemently attacked by the current president. Religion is constantly inserting itself into our government, and our government uses tax dollars to fund "faith based initiatives", despite a clear separation of church and state. The 4th amendment has all but been eliminated by the Patriot Act and online surveillance. Due process (5th amendment) is violated every day. All these are just as important to maintaining democracy. But why are those amendments routinely ignored or chipped away, but not the 2nd?

And I would argue that the current interpretation of the second amendment, as redefined by the NRA since the 1970s (thanks a lot, Harlon Carter), is not what the founders intended. It was clear from the first (and often ignored/forgotten) half that arms were intended for a "well-regulated militia", because the founders (and the populace) feared a standing army. Given the times, that was understandable. A large, powerful army could take over the government, which has happened many times throughout the course of human history. So instead, the founders wanted to limit arms to a militia to defend the country from foreign invaders. Of course, that has all changed. We now have the largest military in the world and the militias are now the National Guard. The 2nd amendment, as conceived by the founders, was to protect them. It's basically pointless now.

But I'll give the NRA credit. They've done a stellar job of warping the amendment's meaning and intention. And they really don't give a sh!t about the constitution. They're pimps for the gun industry, which does $28 billion per year. To them, the blood our children flowing in the streets is a small price to pay for their "freedom" to reap massive profits.

Anyway, back the topic at hand. The Hunt shouldn't have been pulled. It's beyond hypocritical -- hell, it's disgusting -- that the oaf in office complains about video games or a movie, while he incites and inspires violence at his rallies (I won't give examples; there are plenty). He's also ordered acts of violence by the heinous acts he's committing at the border. Seriously, f*ck him in his orange ass with a rusty golf club.

And the media really has some nerve as well. They feed off real violence every day. War, shootings, murder, whatever. They have way more responsibility and ownership on our violent culture than Hollywood. At least our violence is fake. They drink the blood of the real thing and happily ask for more. F*ck them, too.

Comment

Every time, one of these mass shootings happens, the NRA somehow manages to deflect and shift the message. They make it about mental illness, when it's so obvious that the accessibility of high powered weapons makes it a lot easier for any loser to cause destruction. This is not one of those topics where everyone can hold hands and come to a compromise. It's an either/or thing. One side wins at the expense of the other.

Comment

I never did get the logic of this:

1) Terrorize people. (check)

2) Mass murder people. (check)

3) Buy lots of guns...

...Oh, sh*t, guns are illegal -- guess I'll have to call off the mayhem.
        "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
          This is not one of those topics where everyone can hold hands and come to a compromise.

I feel the same way about mentally ill people.

I don't want them driving next to me on the highway, and I certainly don't want them standing behind me on a subway platform, and I don't want them to have access to guns. In fact, I'd love to have an app on my phone that told me whenever I was in proximity to someone who was off their meds.

And seeing as how 90% of all mass shooters were WELL KNOWN to be mentally ill to EVERYONE AROUND THEM prior to the shootings, I think it's a valid, common sense solution. I'm thinking in particular of the cringy-weird guys who shot up the elementary school in Connecticut, the movie theater in Colorado and also that guy in Santa Barbara who drove around shooting co-eds from his car.

Every single one of them were OBVIOUSLY mentally ill, and all of them had prior contact with the police, who were well aware of their plans to kill, but weren't allowed to intervene.

Not to mention the fact that 65% of all gun deaths are suicide (which is an obvious act of mental illness-- and that number doesn't even include any of the people who commit Suicide By Cop, since that data goes uncollected because it goes against the current Police-Are-Evil narrative).

The problem is, you cant do anything about it, because mentally ill people's right to privacy supersedes everyone else's right to safety (and I hate to break it to you, but it's usually the democrats that shoot down any legislation that involves profiling people before crimes are committed).

You also have to love the hypocrisy of Hollywood companies like Netflix and Disney, who won't show smoking or suicide because it might cause imitative behavior, but those same companies have no problem with guns, violence and killing, because... well, they have to make money somehow.

On topic, this movie looks like only slightly less cringy/awful than the last Purge movie, and will probably come out when then window of liability is closed and the news cycle changes (my guess, maybe Halloween?).

Comment

The current admin literally took back a law that made it illegal for mentally ill people to buy guns. Also if no one can buy an AK-47, mentally ill or not, they can't do what they did as easily or devastating.

Also anyone who kills people is 100% mentally ill and that doesn't mean what you are saying. To do an act of hate like that, how can you not be?

I could fight about that point, but I don't have the energy or desire. They want us to talk about that and not talk about the actual issue -- deadly weapons available to anyone who wants them at any time and no restrictions.

But let me ask you this:

If the lawmakers know certain guns kill innocent people on a mass scale almost daily and there are easy solutions to stopping them by passing laws that work everywhere else in the world and you don't do it -- aren't you also mentally ill?

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
              I actually read the screenplay last year when it was first circulating. ScriptShadow did a review last March or April, and his review doesn't have spoilers really, and I'm not going to give you spoilers.

All I will say is that the script is filled with jabs. It I were head of biz development at Universal, I would probably pull this movie -- for money reasons. First is the backlash of Trump supporters boycotting Universal movies and products. Second because of the chance that the movie would inspire stupid people to do stupid stuff allegedly because they were inspired by the movie, and the risk that my company would be sued.

On the flip side, it has a couple of great characters. The women played by Betty Gilpin and Hilary Swank are great. It has a Kill Bill-like vibe between them. I like how they made the women the leads.

Very complicated. I wonder if they'll ever release it?
              So is the logline liberals hunt conservatives? From the trailer I thought it was the other way around. Rich elites hunting random victims for sport like Surviving The Game? Or did they flip it? Or was it just a group of people from all walks of life? Rich vs poor?

Either way it's clearly a political satire film to me like Ike's other movie The Oath. So I'm disappointed they didn't stand by it since the only thing you need to put out there is "this is a fictional piece of art. Everyone on set was unharmed. Unlike the people of El Paso and Dayton or as the president calls them Toledo because that is how little he cares... Ban real guns not movies with fake guns."

Comment

See... no real solution.

I want these deaths to stop too, and I GET the underhanded tactics of the NRA.

...buuuuuuut.... one of these last mass shooters bought his gun ONLINE in order to avoid any and all restrictions/red flags etc. These guys tend to be very meticulous in planning their **** out. Often years.

I'd like to see data on WHEN they bought the weapon against WHEN they used it. Give me dates. I bet it wasn't quickly used for mass murder (anyone got those numbers?). Which is part of the problem in figuring out the solution.

BTW -- I think our biggest problem right now is the orange idiot contaminating the oval office instigating all of this sh!t. Set against an incredibly unique society: No other country has as many diverse people as us.

BTW2 -- I wonder what my great uncle (Eisenhower's chief speech writer and best friend) would think of Trump. As a republican (who had a hand in instituting "One Nation Under God") my bet is that he'd think the dude was a rank fool denigrating the highest position in the land. I bet he'd HATE Trump to the core. Wish I could ask him (dead).

Also... What happens on the blackmarket when you make these weapons illegal? My guess? More violence in trafficking them. Take a look at "weed." People used to get their heads cut off over weed. Me and my buddies used to traffic as teens, my buddy executed a MM (Mexican Mafia gang member) over it. Did 20 years in prison, just got out. Hit still on his head to this day (None of my friends who've moved on speak to him). I can buy weed at the corner store now, we risked our lives to traffic it, and people died. Where did Nixon rank this "drug"?

Making these guns illegal to own, fine, I'll vote for it. We'll put it on the books, but I don't believe that's the REAL solution to end violence in our country. I just don't. I studied it for 2 years (development hell) and no one had a good solution. No one way smarter than me.

These shooters tend to be computer geeks vetted in darkweb sh!t, they know how to buy WHATEVER online, anonymously. How do we stop that? These aren't guys out target practicing.

All the other sh!t is easy to fix. Here's how: Yeah, you don't believe climate change is real? NO PROB! But, do you want a fukkin JOB making solar panels and battery powered cars in a clean environment, or do you want to get cancer in the coal mines? That's what I fukkin thought!

POINT: With most of these political issues, if you frame it right, people will bite. What's in it for THEM? That's the only way people care. Guns ain't one of those issues anyone has been able to do that with. With guns I don't see a fix. Unfortunately. But I'm all ears.

As for the MOVIE? BRUH! It's FICTION!
                Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                  So is the logline liberals hunt conservatives? From the trailer I thought it was the other way around. Rich elites hunting random victims for sport like Surviving The Game? Or did they flip it? Or was it just a group of people from all walks of life? Rich vs poor?

Either way it's clearly a political satire film to me like Ike's other movie The Oath. So I'm disappointed they didn't stand by it since the only thing you need to put out there is "this is a fictional piece of art. Everyone on set was unharmed. Unlike the people of El Paso and Dayton or as the president calls them Toledo because that is how little he cares... Ban real guns not movies with fake guns."
                  Liberals hunting conservatives. And making really pointed jabs the entire time about how STUPID conservatives are. ScriptShadow called the screenwriters "over caffeinated" and I have to agree with that! If they were in their 20s, I would think the script was a cocaine fever dream, but knowing they are in the their 40s with kids I suspect the writing was fueled by a bunch of bespoke coffee and fancy pastries. The script was gleeful in its satire of conservatives. And there's a twist at the end that really skewers conservatives (who knows if its in the finished film) so I could see why they decided to delay. If they released what I read they would lose many right-side viewers -- for years. I really think their decision came down to a $$ concern. Not so much art or free speech. It's obviously satire.

Right now, most middle of the road people don't even know what properties Universal produces. The last thing Universal needs is 30-40% of their audience boycotting the next Jurassic World thing because of this little movie. In my extended family of over 150 people, about 25% of them are Trump voters. Weirdly, it's the same set that sees the tentpole movies. I think Universal is more concerned about that connection than anything.

Or maybe I've had too much coffee myself!

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                    Liberals hunting conservatives. And making really pointed jabs the entire time about how STUPID conservatives are. ScriptShadow called the screenwriters "over caffeinated" and I have to agree with that! If they were in their 20s, I would think the script was a cocaine fever dream, but knowing they are in the their 40s with kids I suspect the writing was fueled by a bunch of bespoke coffee and fancy pastries. The script was gleeful in its satire of conservatives. And there's a twist at the end that really skewers conservatives (who knows if its in the finished film) so I could see why they decided to delay. If they released what I read they would lose many right-side viewers -- for years. I really think their decision came down to a $$ concern. Not so much art or free speech. It's obviously satire.

Right now, most middle of the road people don't even know what properties Universal produces. The last thing Universal needs is 30-40% of their audience boycotting the next Jurassic World thing because of this little movie. In my extended family of over 150 people, about 25% of them are Trump voters. Weirdly, it's the same set that sees the tentpole movies. I think Universal is more concerned about that connection than anything.

Or maybe I've had too much coffee myself!
                    Ha!
                    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Perhaps, just perhaps, the business end of Hollywood felt a twinge of humanity, to the extent that they understood that releasing a film about humans gunning down humans for sport was not in good taste, given that two REAL humans did just that to 82 (dead and injured) REAL humans within the same week.

I have no pretense these events will bring everlasting change. It will be back to business as usual once enough thoughts and prayers have made the rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                        The current admin literally took back a law that made it illegal for mentally ill people to buy guns. Also if no one can buy an AK-47, mentally ill or not, they can't do what they did as easily or devastating.

Also anyone who kills people is 100% mentally ill and that doesn't mean what you are saying. To do an act of hate like that, how can you not be?

I could fight about that point, but I don't have the energy or desire. They want us to talk about that and not talk about the actual issue -- deadly weapons available to anyone who wants them at any time and no restrictions.

But let me ask you this:

If the lawmakers know certain guns kill innocent people on a mass scale almost daily and there are easy solutions to stopping them by passing laws that work everywhere else in the world and you don't do it -- aren't you also mentally ill?
                        dude, you gotta get out more... AK-47 are so passe, the new weapon of choice is the AR-15. sadly, i know this because of the research i've done.

no one needs an assault rifle. no one.

there was a tweet with like 15 ARMED men and women walking into a KFC-- total overkill. with ASSAULT RIGLES!

it's infuriating that these people feel that they MUST display their "right to bear arms" by walking into a public place. ****ing despicable people.

there is only one reason someone open carries a weapon-- intimidation.

pure and simple. some mutha****a wants act all big & bad... they're worst of society. who gets off on intimidating the public?

this is not what the founding fathers intended.

there are people that are mentally ill. but that boy that walked into Walmart is NOT one of them. he may be radicalized, but he is not insane. he was intentional.

some people just want to kill, they like the feeling of power & control over another. they hate.

i agree with bioprogessor, but hope that someone will do something.

but it won't be Walmart. until the negative impact from the public about guns impacts their profitability-- they won't stop selling guns, it's just too profitable.

and that's Walmarts's bottom line-- profitability.
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Just read this article, an interview with the director of THE HUNT. Interesting!!

https://nypost.com/2019/08/19/the-hu...reaks-silence/

Comment

"If the lawmakers know certain guns kill innocent people on a mass scale almost daily and there are easy solutions to stopping them by passing laws that work everywhere else in the world and you don't do it -- aren't you also mentally ill?"

If it were only that easy right? Heroine and opioids are illegal right? Do you really think passing a law would fix this? Do you want handguns banned? Cause a shooter could drop 20-30 people real quick with a 17 mag clip and 2 pistols sooooo.....

Also many of the same people who think banning guns will fix this want open non-criminalized border crossings. How do you think that would work at keeping illegal guns out of the country to then ONLY be used by criminals, since law abiding citizens would be stripped of all their guns.

Just a messed up situation all around. America is a great experiment but there will always be unintended consequences. Imagine if England had banned weapons in the colonies? No America.
                            Last edited by harbak; 08-19-2019, 01:35 PM. Reason: signature line
                            Eric
                            www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

wonder which is the real truth about the test audience. i'm thinking it was the later, that it was the highest scoring.

i think it will still come out at some point and i think there will be a huge audience that goes to see it.
                              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by harbak View Post
                                "If the lawmakers know certain guns kill innocent people on a mass scale almost daily and there are easy solutions to stopping them by passing laws that work everywhere else in the world and you don't do it -- aren't you also mentally ill?"

If it were only that easy right? Heroine and opioids are illegal right? Do you really think passing a law would fix this? Do you want handguns banned? Cause a shooter could drop 20-30 people real quick with a 17 mag clip and 2 pistols sooooo.....

Also many of the same people who think banning guns will fix this want open non-criminalized border crossings. How do you think that would work at keeping illegal guns out of the country to then ONLY be used by criminals, since law abiding citizens would be stripped of all their guns.

Just a messed up situation all around. America is a great experiment but there will always be unintended consequences. Imagine if England had banned weapons in the colonies? No America.
                                You do realize that "banning all guns" is a fear-mongering tactic used by the NRA lobby to keep them relevant and to distract from commonsense gun safety regulations that a vast majority of Americans (including NRA members) want.

If the standard for a law was that it must "fix" every problem 100%, then we'd have no laws (a libertarian's fantasy). Driver's drive drunk, and execs embezzle, therefore no laws against either? It also makes no sense for one state to ban drunk driving, and its bordering states to allow it. Yet, that's the hodgepodge we have with gun regulations in the US. Hell, it's worse than that. Gun laws within a state vary between counties and cities.

Also many of the same people who think banning guns will fix this want open non-criminalized border crossings.
                                This is a ridiculous statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X