I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

For whatever it's worth (which is probably nada) I just noticed that I'm at an even 1000 impressions for all scripts, tho only Whiplash is live at the moment...
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Haven't been active in awhile. Fwiw, MB pointed me to this site y'all are talking about, and a couple pro reviews pretty much got me my first 2 legit LA management calls last night, one of whom reps one of my writing idols. Felt real effing good, and seems like the site is legit.

This info about the emails going out when revisions are uploaded is interesting. Had no idea, and the FAQ didn't mention any of that.
      Last edited by OCeeBee; 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks to all those who alerted me to the Inktip listing looking for westerns with butt-kicking female leads!

Comment

Originally posted by OCeeBee View Post
          Haven't been active in awhile. Fwiw, MB pointed me to this site y'all are talking about, and a couple pro reviews pretty much got me my first 2 legit LA management calls last night, one of whom reps one of my writing idols.
          Congrats, OCeeBee. Sorry you haven't gotten any acknowledgement of your awesome news, but it's because we're all bitterly jealous of your success.

Can you share your process? Did you purchase two paid reviews? What genre is your screenplay in?

I'm currently on the Blacklist with one script and still waiting for the paid review to come in. My last one scored a 7 overall with an 8 in one category, but I didn't get any downloads other than the paid read, and my current screenplay hasn't received any downloads yet, either. So far I'm not feeling the Blacklist magic, though it definitely has worked for some. It makes me wonder if it has something to do with genre.

Hope things continue to go your way...

(And here's a link to my script on the Blacklist, just in case anyone wants to check it out: DANCING WITH THE PRINCESSES)
          Last edited by sallain; 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Question for the OP. It's now 4 months and 65 pages of thread since your original post. Can you answer your own question now?

Seriously. I'm curious what you've learned in the whole process.

Comment

Originally posted by OCeeBee View Post
              Haven't been active in awhile. Fwiw, MB pointed me to this site y'all are talking about, and a couple pro reviews pretty much got me my first 2 legit LA management calls last night, one of whom reps one of my writing idols. Felt real effing good, and seems like the site is legit.

This info about the emails going out when revisions are uploaded is interesting. Had no idea, and the FAQ didn't mention any of that.
              Congratulations! I'm also interested in your genre and which pro reviews you got (were they paid or not paid).

We have a script up on Black List with one paid review (a 7) and one unpaid (a 9). We are waiting for our second paid review.
              writertypepeople.tumblr.com
              twitter.com/susanlbridges
              pendantaudio.com

Comment

I think my biggest question regarding the BL is the waiting time on the reads once they're downloaded. I got a 9 and had over a dozen downloads (which statistically is pretty good), but it's been about a month and I haven't heard anything. Should I be treating these like any other kind of reads with a 4-6 waiting period?

Comment

...but you don't know who's reading it, do you?

Or did you specifically send queries saying "hey my script is up on the Black List with a 9 rating"?

If I KNOW someone is reading a script of mine I always check in within 3-4 weeks.
                  writertypepeople.tumblr.com
                  twitter.com/susanlbridges
                  pendantaudio.com

Comment

I landed a few reads querying, so I'm OK with waiting on those reads, especially because they're from bigger companies, but yeah, the blind downloads are the ones that I'm curious about because I can't go ahead and contact them.

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                      I think my biggest question regarding the BL is the waiting time on the reads once they're downloaded. I got a 9 and had over a dozen downloads (which statistically is pretty good), but it's been about a month and I haven't heard anything. Should I be treating these like any other kind of reads with a 4-6 waiting period?
                      I have a script that got an 8 and it garned over a dozen downloads. That was over two months ago, and no contact. I just try to put it out of my mind.

Did you or are you going to get another review? You usually need 2-3 reviews in order to qualify for the Top Lists, which could give you more exposure. But there's the risk, which happened in my case, in getting a lower score in the subsequent reviews, which could bring the 9 down to a 7 or lower.

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                        Based on reported results so far, you should assume that there's a 95% chance you won't hear from anyone ever. Your odds are probably even lower if you don't have the 2 reviews needed to get on one of the top lists.

I've got a 9, 670 views, 33 downloads, and no emails after 4 months.

Comment

Lauri - just curious... After that paid read got you a 9, how many of the other 33 downloaders subsequently went back and rated your script? (if any)

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                            Based on reported results so far, you should assume that there's a 95% chance you won't hear from anyone ever. Your odds are probably even lower if you don't have the 2 reviews needed to get on one of the top lists.

I've got a 9, 670 views, 33 downloads, and no emails after 4 months.
                            His odds of getting contacted are very good if he has a piece of material that people feel they can do something with. His odds are very bad if he has a piece of material that people don't feel they can do something with.

Comment

Then apparently 95% of the people with eights and nines on the blacklist don't have material that others feel they can do something with. So does that mean all those writers made bad choices about what to write about?

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                                Then apparently 95% of the people with eights and nines on the blacklist don't have material that others feel they can do something with. So does that mean all those writers made bad choices about what to write about?
                                Like Craig said in the other thread, every writer's chances ultimately are 100% or zero. Either it does [get made, sell, land the writer representation, get requested for a read by reps or prod. cos.] or it doesn't. If it's not a yes, it's a no.

Comment

Working...
                                X