No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future Competitions

Originally posted by mdb View Post
    The more important question is how do you go most right with ninjas?
    you

add

pirates!
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
      you

add

pirates!
      But then you always end up with the two groups teaming up against ghosts.
      Give it all and ask for no return/And very soon you'll see and you'll begin to learn/That it's alright, yes, it's alright...

Comment

You guys need to use SPOILER ALERTS if you're gonna give away brilliant plotlines and endings like this!

Comment

Originally posted by 14001 View Post
          Ravenlock, the competitions are for script 8 pages long or less.
          It's a great tool to breath a little when you have too many ideas for your long script. You can give it a try next time.
          I haven't done a writing exercise here in a really long time. But that doesn't mean I won't at some point.
          "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
          ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Sorry I have been out lately. I have been busy, mostly with trying to get 3 scripts ready for Austin.

However, this summer I may be all in for an open competition.

Hope everyone got their scripts ready for Austin, I hope to meet some of you there
            Looking for some light, and making things beautiful along the way.

Comment

I hope this Austin guy appreciates all of that effort.
              Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

And yet, no suggestions for alternative contest themes have poured forth! Imagine my surprise and disappointment!

For future competitions, if they are seasonal, I suggest moving the delivery date 1 week after the date. So if it were Valentine, we can send the scripts until February 21st.
                It has proven difficult to send scripts when all the holidays or whatever it is is 100% on.
                The logic behind this was, if you're doing a date-related contest like Valentine's day or Halloween, by the time you pass the actual date, interest in the event drops off. So aiming for an earlier deadline seemed kinda reasonable. Mind you, the inevitable late entries push the deadline closer to the event anyway. I bet if I set Feb 21st as a deadline, late entries would still be trickling in a week later.

IT'S COMPLICATED.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                  The logic behind this was, if you're doing a date-related contest like Valentine's day or Halloween, by the time you pass the actual date, interest in the event drops off. So aiming for an earlier deadline seemed kinda reasonable. Mind you, the inevitable late entries push the deadline closer to the event anyway. I bet if I set Feb 21st as a deadline, late entries would still be trickling in a week later.
                  That depends. I understand having difficulties to deliver a script by Christmas day, with all the celebrations, family, etc. I understand giving some extra days in those cases but then it's not fair for all the writers who tried to make it in time.
                  However if the date is set a week later (or a week before), there's no excuse, and no delay is allowed. If the script arrives late it's simply not in.
                  Regarding of interest dropping, my interest is in the debate, the voting and the feedback, to me and others, not really the subject of the competition.
                  My humble opinion, of course
                  Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

That depends. I understand having difficulties to deliver a script by Christmas day, with all the celebrations, family, etc. I understand giving some extra days in those cases but then it's not fair for all the writers who tried to make it in time.
                    Hah! <waves wiry Kermit frog arms> The call for entries for the Yule/Christmas contest got posted in November. I'm sure appropriate smileys were used to draw attention to this momentous event. But some folks just like writing at the very last moment. It seems to get the juices flowing.

This year's Valentine's Day contest couldn't run in time for the event because people just weren't checking in often enough to see it. Shrug, what can ya do.

However if the date is set a week later (or a week before), there's no excuse, and no delay is allowed. If the script arrives late it's simply not in.
                    Brilliant idea. Uh, except if it's my entry.

Regarding of interest dropping, my interest is in the debate, the voting and the feedback, to me and others, not really the subject of the competition.
                    My humble opinion, of course
                    Oh of course.

Having said all that crap, still looking for a zinger popular theme idea that fits... May? June? July?
                    Last edited by dpaterso; 04-28-2016, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                      Having said all that crap, still looking for a zinger popular theme idea that fits... May? June? July?
                      There's always "what I did on my summer vacation"!
                      ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
                        There's always "what I did on my summer vacation"!
                        Indeed yes. My flawless records (aka my short scripts webpage) remind me that we had an "End of Summer" contest back in '05. Some weird stuff came out of that.

Comment

maybe something like this to work with...

in some place, right now, trying to sneak out of a fine dining establishment are a bunch of writers. they got thrown out after hemingway insisted on boxing wilde after dinner...and as the gaggle of writers try to sneak out into the night, gertrude stein yells, 'where you think you're going, billy!"

willy shakespeare turns, begins to speak when voltaire says, 'my good woman, the place we seek is a one where we hope to find the warm light of the moon mixed with the cool breezes of what we do not know.'

'and maybe it's a clean and well lighted place!' hemingway yells.

stein, getting all aggravated with the lot of them, picks up a rock to chuck at them. ben franklin interrupts. "to stone one would be to stone us all."

she smiles, throws the rock and hits franklin in the forehead. he falls onto a cobblestone street.

'how much did that hurt each of you?' stein asks?

mark twain looks at her. she must be a mad woman, or even worse, a damn philosopher. he helps franklin up from the street. franklin whispers to him that he believes he may love his assailant. her stone was really an arrow that pierced his heart.

twain stares at franklin like he's lost his mind, and then at stein and she holds his stare. twain then begins to tremble. he pulls at his mustache. no one has ever held his stare before.

'we're a'goin whore' n at a place near yonder muddy river, where there is good whiskey and fellowshipping to be had. do you wish to join us or to chuck more rocks at us?' he yells in a shaky voice.

she smiles. 'well why didn't you just say so. let's go,' she says. "give the hack writing his mess time to fix the punctuation and spelling and grammar and such.' she continues, 'we're all a bunch of damn whores anyway.
                          '

mr. dickens, poe caught up shortly. and then the others arrived. lordy, the night it was...it was a shambles.

-could take off from something like that...

Comment

Upon reading the first sentence, I thought this was going to be a description of the DD meet-up, Ancon...
                            ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

hahahahahahahha! hey raven!

Comment

Over the years many have attempted to impose some new regime or various refinements, upon Writing Exercises, but all have failed in that quest, in the face of experience, which is why the rules or protocol have evolved to be the way they are.
                                You'll never please everybody, so you just have to get on with it.

It then becomes a kind of 'how many writers to change a light bulb' scenario until the dust settles and democracy gives way to a couple of mugs, I mean contest-admins, to impose an autocracy again.
                                Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Working...
                                X