Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combating filmmakers' requested changes to your script

How far do you take it, especially if the changes weaken the character of the script, undermine the theme, and in general don't make sense?

Re: Combating filmmakers' requested changes to your script

It depends on a number of factors. Is it the director asking or the producers/studio? Did they purchase your work? How close are you to the filmmakers - have you worked with them before and proven yourself to them? Some companies defer entirely to the vision of the director, so it may fall on deaf ears. And lastly, have you sat with the notes for a while and let them simmer? The more experienced I get, the more I find that notes I initially hated sometimes A) turn out to be right, or B) may be wrong but illuminate an actual problem that needs to be addressed. Every company is different, every director is different. I would say to state your case effectively and firmly, and if they still want it the other way after that, either do the work or take your script somewhere else. Holding your ground is great, but if it means the difference between them making your movie and not... take that into consideration.
    https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
      How far do you take it, especially if the changes weaken the character of the script, undermine the theme, and in general don't make sense?
      Ask why. They're giving the note for a reason. It may be that the director wants to minimize a main character because they intend to cast their SO in another roll and want that secondary roll beefed up. It could be that the director really just wants a bunch of cool chases and set pieces to fill out their reel, or it could be that they have a problem with the story or character and are offering what they think is a good solution. You won't know until you ask. Take a meeting and figure it out.

Don't let them treat you like an errand boy, be a collaborator. If they perceive a problem, then take it seriously and engage them in working on a solution.

However, if they're paying you, then that's a separate issue.

HTH,
      Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
      3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

No I have not met them, and they're not buying the script, they're packaging it. I'd definitely be more open to these changes if they were just purchasing it outright.

Some of the notes I agree with, some I don't, and unfortunately the ones I don't agree with are the most drastic ones (changing character fates, settings, etc.). The changes are being made to give the film a more global appeal. For instance they want to move the setting out of America which doesn't make any f'ing sense, given that the plot centers on American politics, agencies, etc. But the character changes are even worse and make them flatter and less engaging.

This is a small-scale, low-budget, character-driven thriller, not a mega-budget action epic. It doesn't need to appeal to some kind of global fanbase like the Fast and Furious or something. The reasons they gave for the changes are flimsy to say the least, and I'm usually very open to producer/director notes.

Comment

No I have not met them, and they're not buying the script, they're packaging it. I'd definitely be more open to these changes if they were just purchasing it outright.

Some of the notes I agree with, some I don't, and unfortunately the ones I don't agree with are the most drastic ones (changing character fates, settings, etc.). The changes are being made to give the film a more global appeal. For instance they want to move the setting out of America which doesn't make any f'ing sense, given that the plot centers on American politics, agencies, etc. But the character changes are even worse and make them flatter and less engaging.

This is a small-scale, low-budget, character-driven thriller, not a mega-budget action epic. It doesn't need to appeal to some kind of global fanbase like the Fast and Furious or something. The reasons they gave for the changes are flimsy to say the least, and I'm usually very open to producer/director notes.
          Then you have some choices to make. You can incorporate the notes the best way you can and hope for the best. You can insist on a deal before you'll make wholesale changes. Tell them you need a paid option or sale if they're going to insist on this. Or tell them no and walk away. The ball is really in your court because without a deal in place that script is still yours to do with as you please.

How important is this script to you? Do think it's strong enough sell to another producer if you walk away from this deal? Or is it just one of many and getting a credit is important? All things that need to figure into your thought process.

Wish you the best.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
            You can insist on a deal before you'll make wholesale changes. Tell them you need a paid option or sale if they're going to insist on this.
            So basically I'd be asking them to package the script with the changes I approve of (which is basically all of them except one or possibly two) and send it out like that to try and get a sale? Sounds reasonable, though I can definitely see them simply changing the script afterwards themselves, or hiring another writer to do so.

Comment

So basically I'd be asking them to package the script with the changes I approve of (which is basically all of them except one or possibly two) and send it out like that to try and get a sale? Sounds reasonable, though I can definitely see them simply changing the script afterwards themselves, or hiring another writer to do so.
              Yep. But that happens with every script anyway. Nothing you can do about that.

Comment

For me notes I don't agree with are always a conversation. That way you get to really understand what the note is behind the note and how important it is to them. Sometimes you discover that the note you've been agonizing over isn't actually a big deal and they're happy to drop it. Sometimes you discover you have a different vision to your collaborators and you do your best to find the middle ground.

To me it's about choosing your battles.

The way I see it, there's no harm in giving the tougher notes a try. Nothing is set in stone. They're just words on a page that you can always delete. And unless someone is feeding you lines and asking you to type it (which I will refuse), you do your very best and try to make it as kickass as possible. And as what has previously been said, sometimes you surprise yourself and you end up with a better draft.

IMO, never feel forced to write something you don't want to (forcing things usually turn out bad). But at the same time, don't be too precious with what you already have and be open to try new things and experiment. In the end of the day, they're just words on a page.

It's simple in principle but difficult to employ. I still go through the same mental drama every time I get producer/director/exec notes. However, the more you go through this process the less surprised you become when the times comes and the easier it gets to give your script a new face-lift to make it better. It happens with every script and every draft until someone pulls the trigger on it.

The thing I will warn you is to beware of the endless rewrite problem -- particularly with certain execs/reps/producers that are trying to please someone on the next rung of the ladder. You sometimes end up with unfocused notes and go through the circular process of reincorporating removed elements from previous drafts and you end up a with a Frankenstein script. It gets harder as this process continues as both you and your collaborators struggle to see the script with fresh eyes.

Comment

Yeah I'm on board with basically all their notes except one or two, so I'm not being precious here.

Quick question: do I need an agent or a manager to help me through the packaging process, or just a lawyer?

Comment

Yeah I'm on board with basically all their notes except one or two, so I'm not being precious here.

Quick question: do I need an agent or a manager to help me through the packaging process, or just a lawyer?
                    I believe all packaging means is that they're gonna send out your script to people and try to land attachments (producers with a lot more clout, actors, directors) before presenting it to buyers.

As attachments are typically verbal agreements (from my limited experience) you don't need a rep. Unless an option is in play. Or you want a rep to help you with the packaging process by using their contacts to gain attachments.

You will need an attorney once a buyer bites or an option is in play. Ask your collaborators for a referral to land one.

Comment

Eventually I'll be needing a manager or agent, though. Is there a way to do this through the producer and/or director I'm working with?

Comment

Eventually I'll be needing a manager or agent, though. Is there a way to do this through the producer and/or director I'm working with?
                        Yes. Flat out ask them if they'd refer you to some. That's what I did. It worked too.

Comment

Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
                          Don't let them treat you like an errand boy, be a collaborator.
                          Unfortunately this is how it is. During our first meeting this particular filmmaker was speaking to me about my script as if I had already done every revision he wanted me to, and he hadn't even asked me for my thoughts on them. In spite of this I didn't say anything and actually did every change he and the others wanted.

Now he's having me do more revisions and when I gave him some comments he shot back that he doesn't care about my thoughts. The guy's lecturing me on writing when he has precisely one credit to his name, a low-budget film that was universally panned by critics for having a terrible script in particular (seriously it has 0% on Rotten Tomatoes).

Of course I want a sale but this simply isn't going well.

Comment

I hate seeing this kind of shit. They have ZERO skin in the game from the looks of it. No option money, no shopping agreement, no clout to make this seem worthwhile, etc. Do you really want to be compromising your script and working in objectively bad or nonsensical notes with an entity that made one film that has a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes (I've never even heard of a score that low)?

Has this script been burned all over town (if so, what good is their attachment going to do you)? Are they a last gasp/last resort? If not, have a little confidence in your work and back away from these losers. Or tell them you'll be happy to continue a dialogue on the rest of these requested changes as soon as they own or financially control the script. But until then you're going to have to respectfully look for other partners who get and honor the story you're trying to tell — or buy it and then request you make changes to what is now THEIR script.

And in the future, be very, very wary of these types of scenarios. This guy probably has a whole stable of writers like yourself doing this as well, and as soon as one pops (if even possible), you'll be forgotten as he and his cohorts move on to focusing on the project with heat.

You have to look at this like dating to a degree, you really do. Muthafuckas don't have to put a ring on it, but the least they could do is buy you dinner.

Comment

They do have skin in the game and an option is on the table, though maybe not now though due to this tension.

The script has only been read by them so far. I have confidence in it but I haven't had much luck with query letters (60 e-mails, only one read request). That's why this is such a quagmire.

Comment

Working...
                              X