Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exposition and complex sci-fi concept

Hi all. I'm working on a scifi spec, set in the present or the very near future; the story deals with a scientific experiment and the consequences of its success, kind of a "what if...?"

Because of the theme(s) of the story, it's important that the reader not only understands the nature of the experiment but also believes it is possible, and a fairly complex explanation needs to take place.

I'm not an anti-exposition, show-don't-tell kind of guy; I know that at some point a character is going to have to explain how the experiment works, and I'm fine with it.

What I'm having trouble with is deciding when to do this. I fell I should make it clear as early as possible, maybe even in the very first scene, because it's fundamental information to understand what's going on.

So:

Can you think of stories that had to deal with a similar situation and you think handled the exposition nicely? I'd like to compare my current choices with those of other writers to decide which is the best way to go.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer.

Re: Exposition and complex scifi concept

In my super hero script (which I'm currently reworking while I mull over the 30-page gap in the outline of my latest project), I have a scene lasting two pages which spills the beans of that world, while keeping the flow of the story.

In previous drafts I had LONG scenes, spread out, and they just didn't work (drama sequences in an action flick bordering on teenage soap + massive exposition = YUCK. MEGA YUCK!).

I think it's best you just put your head down, write it how you want to and then don't look at it for a few weeks. Go back fresh and you'll likely cringe; this is necessary to make those all-important adjustments.

Best of luck.
    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Best thing to do is read scripts and watch movies like yours, study how they do it, and use that as your guide.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Reasearch.

I absolutely HATE research, but by golly it can really open up the creative channels.

Base your science in morsels of fact. That's how sci-fi has been done since the beginning.

Once you understand your story's science, you'll know how best to explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
          Best thing to do is read scripts and watch movies like yours, study how they do it, and use that as your guide.
          ...which is precissely why I'm asking. The thing is, I can't think of any movie like the one I'm trying to write (not that there's nothing alike, I just don't know or fail to see the similarities.) But there are many that have to deal with the exposition of complex information; I'm asking for any example you fell did it in a particularly good or interesting way.

I'm already watching/reading the ones I know, but none of them is particularly helpful because, well, I've already watched them/read them several times before and I'm already familiar with their techniques and choices in this regard.

Although the premise is a mixture of hard scifi and highly speculative scifi, the tone of the story is more of a straight adult drama. There's a scientific find that (maybe) has a deep effect on various key concepts we use to define our relationship with the world and with each other, and the story will (maybe) follow how this affects not only the main characters but mankind as a whole.

I write those '(maybe)' because nothing is decided yet; the concept is very ambitious and at this point I want to keep the story ambitious in its themes and scope. I'm shaping it, identifying possibilities and issues, defining the characters, the source(s) of antagonism... I have a rough outline/treatment figured out, but far from set in stone; I'll keep it flexible as long as possible.

So far, how and when to tell the reader the necessary notions on the scientific fields involved is what's giving me more doubts, because they are essential to the story and whether I decide to open the story with the exposition or do it later will define the kind of story I can tell.

I've read the threads here about exposition and found some interesting points of view. But that's not what I'm asking for, although any opinion you'd like to share on the subject is more than welcome, it goes without saying.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by ChadStrohl View Post
            Reasearch.
            Once you understand your story's science, you'll know how best to explain it.
            I already understand it. More than how* to explain it, I think I'm concerned with when to explain it.

*Since it is very abstract and not visual at all (the science in question), a character who understands it will have to explain it to a character who doesn't. At the moment I'm thinking that, because of the controversy surrounding the experiment, the scientists involved will try to use this explanation to calm public opinion and criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
              But there are many that have to deal with the exposition of complex information; I'm asking for any example you fell did it in a particularly good or interesting way.
              A couple that I can think of humanized the information and world of the story at the beginning. Contact and A Beautiful Mind. Also, Social Network.

Comment

Primer is the only movie I can recall offhand that included extremely complex scientific (and time travel) ideas, which had a fairly solid footing in physics and science.

From memory, I think much of the exposition was handled by making the details of the science a cause for argument and conflict between the characters.

There are other ways of making exposition entertaining - like how Starship Troopers handled universe-building through the use of cheesy recruitment and news clips.

Comment

I’d first see if you can “show don’t tell” to the best of your ability first. I bet you can do this more than you currently believe if you mediate on it a bit. And if that method must be supplemented by dialogue explanation, then...

Suggestion 1:
                  The Matrix. Movie opens with a show don’t tell. The question of how Trinity can do all that cool stuff is in your mind when you view it, but it’s so damn awesome that you’re willing to wait. Is there a similar thing you can do with your specific sci fi item? Show it in action, and then give it ye ole Morpheus explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqxwtEdxOCw It’s 2:25 seconds long. Awesome. Notice that the scene is engaging even though it’s just a dialogue lesson. You want the same.

Compare this with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=mod6xr-lyBc

Neo speaking to architect. A much longer scene. And also, imo, not as awesome as the short chat with Morpheus. This scene gets lots of flak, but I don’t hate it as much as others. I’d say this is an example of what happens when things get too long winded (among other things). They try to spicen this up with scenes of Trinity and spectacle. But it doesn’t work as well for me here. But it’s not completely horrible.

Suggestion 2:
                  This is actually a weird suggestion, but that scene in The Human Centipede were the bad guy explains what’s about to happen to the victims. It’s a thrilling explanation, which is why I think it works. If you haven’t seen the movie, it’s about a crazy dude that wants to surgically stitch people together to make a human centipede. Somewhat complex right? He captures some people to do this with, then clinically explains the procedure to them. Slides/drawings and speech.

It seems to me that the secret here is emotion. In this scene, suspense is that emotion.

I’ll be thinking of more…
                  -chris

Comment

@Rhodi: I love Primer, but I wouldn't say it does well with the exposition. Movie needs repeat viewings to really understand what's happening, but, that's just my take.

But it's perfect for the "thinker".
                    -chris

Comment

Watch The Matrix to find out how to lay out exposition in a dramatic and compelling way.

Watch Inception to find out what NOT to do with exposition.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyPolynomial View Post
                        @Rhodi: I love Primer, but I wouldn't say it does well with the exposition. Movie needs repeat viewings to really understand what's happening, but, that's just my take.

But it's perfect for the "thinker".
                        Yeah, in hindsight, probably not the best example.

Comment

Could do it like Jurassic Park. Strap'em into a fun little powerpoint presentation.

Comment

Go the Austin Power route and have a key character called Exposition.

But seriously, your script sounds awfully like my (cough) masterpiece in-progress. Re: the exposition, instead of laying it all out, I broke up the exposition into a dozen little pieces and scattered it through the first act in various ways (some show, some tell, some in the background, some implied etc..) - a bit of mystery/curiosity never goes astray with audiences. Making 'em work for it also gets the grey matter moving, which is what I want from the audience for this particular story (pretty much the opposite as the Austin Powers example)

Comment

go the terminator way... have your exposition set during a car chase
                              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X