No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post draft doubt...

Hey everyone,

This is a pretty broad subject, but I'd love to get your thoughts on if you experience what I am currently going through, and if so, how you deal with it.

I've just finished the second draft of a new spec, an action thriller (the logline has been posted here on these boards).

Do you guys go through a usual period of self doubt when finishing something?

I'm not saying it is done by any stretch of the imagination, but it is at a point where I'm showing it to some trusted readers.

How do you deal with your inner critic around this time....

Re: Post draft doubt...

Yes. I think that's normal.

Eventually you have to expose it to the world (your trusted readers) so that you can find out just how terrible it is (or not). Nothing is ever perfect, a script just reaches a point where it's good parts outweigh it's problems and other people like it... and meet with you and offer you money.

I find myself doing a quick read through and polish almost every time I send something out...

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Everyone does. Give it a little breathing time, then sink your teeth into the rewrite.
      QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Doubt is good. It is always good. It is what constantly pushes you for improvement. You wouldn't seek out opinions if you didn't have it, and that is a crucial part of the revision process. Only a fool thinks his or her work is perfect. And they are the ones who feel crushed when it is rejected.
        scribbler screenwriting blog-o-zine - Celebrating its fifth year of bloggerdom!

Download a copy of Screenwriting Down to the Atoms : The Absolute Essentials Edition completely FREE!

Comment

...and if the doubt persists... take two aspirin and call me in the morning.
          "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

I swing back and forth between thinking I've just written the next "Hamlet", and thinking I've just written a Junior High School talent show skit. In my Hamlet moments, I hand it over to someone else to read, and then immediately think, I've just handed over a Junior High School talent show skit. Am I The Bard William Shakespeare, or 7th grader Tiffany Hinklemeyer?

Then I avoid the person that I gave it to for feedback by moving out of state and leaving no forwarding information behind, because I "can't handle the truth!".
            "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
              I swing back and forth between thinking I've just written the next "Hamlet", and thinking I've just written a Junior High School talent show skit. In my Hamlet moments, I hand it over to someone else to read, and then immediately think, I've just handed over a Junior High School talent show skit. Am I The Bard William Shakespeare, or 7th grader Tiffany Hinklemeyer?

Then I avoid the person that I gave it to for feedback by moving out of state and leaving no forwarding information behind, because I "can't handle the truth!".
              This sounds pretty close to my thinking....

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post

Yup, sounds familiar to me, too. I'm usually pumped when I finish a draft, proud and excited. The day after I give it to someone, the self-doubt creeps in and I start to think I've made a horrible, horrible mistake.
                Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Completely normal.

Comment

Working...
                  X