Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on sci-fi screenplays to read

Would you people be so kind to recommend me some sci-fi screenplays to read? I'm about to start a sci-fi project and need to learn some vocabulary and get a feel for the genre. I'm thinking of reading:

-Alien
    -Aliens
    -Pitch Black
    -Event Horizon
    -Battlestar Galactica teleplays
    -Starship Troopers

That should give you an idea for the kind of thing I'm going for. I'd also like to read some teleplays from Space: Above and Beyond, but can't find them anywhere. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Re: Advice on sci-fi screenplays to read

All of those a good but most sci fi films aren't really that different from similar contemporary films.

Strip away the techno babble and fancy toys and you have....

Alien is a haunted house with a monster.
    Aliens is Marines vs. monsters.
    Event Horizon is a haunted house with demons.
    Starship Troopers is Soldiers vs. giant bugs. If you've been to Florida then you know this is based on a true story. Don't walk barefoot through your kitchen in the dark.

You could take Saving Private Ryan, change the location to Epsilon Beta, give them pulse rifles and make the bad guys the Gorkon. It's now an epic sci fi war movie.

BTW, add everything from James Cameron (except Titanic) to your list.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

But that's precisely one of the reasons I need to read them: the techno babble. I don't know enough English vocabulary to write that kind of story comfortably.

Comment

These films are remarkably bereft of technobabble. You're thinking more on the Star Trek TNG episodes.
        M.A.G.A.

Comment

I just said "techno-babble" because that's the expression Christopher used. I'm thinking of names for the different sections of a space craft, flying maneuvers, weapons. Mood, too.

Comment

I'm thinking of names for the different sections of a space craft, flying maneuvers, weapons.
            Study real ships and aircraft and make adjustment as needed.

The Nostromo (alien) had a bridge, a galley, sick bay, engine room, cargo bay etc... it might as well have been the SS Titanic.

When all else fails, ya make it up. It's the Radion Matix Drive that gives ships faster than light speed. WTF is a Radion Matrix Drive? I dunno. It was the first cool sounding thing that popped into my head. You don't need to explain it. It just works.
            Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

I'm with Christopher Jon.

Apart from anything else, if you've an interest in sci fi then you'll have seen the films anyway and know all this. Sounds to me like you're tackling a subject that is alien (no pun intended) to you. And that's risky.
              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Good advice. But if anybody can suggest a few screenplays more, please do. What would you study/read/watch if you wanted to write something similar to the films mentioned?

@SundownInRetreat: no, I love the genre, and I've watched many of the most significan films. I just want to read the screenplays to see how it looks on the page, learn some stuff and vocabulary I don't already now, see how certain visuals are described in the action paragraphs. Is this an extrange behavior, studying a genre you want to write in? I think that going through the different screenplays one can learn things that you don't get by just watching the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
                  I just want to read the screenplays to see how it looks on the page, learn some stuff and vocabulary I don't already now, see how certain visuals are described in the action paragraphs. Is this an extrange behavior, studying a genre you want to write in? I think that going through the different screenplays one can learn things that you don't get by just watching the movies.
                  That is very different to what you said before:
                  Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus
                  I'm thinking of names for the different sections of a space craft, flying maneuvers, weapons. Mood, too.
                  And that is why Chris Jon is right in all his posts.

And as a fan of the genre, I don't see why you'd be asking for recommendations of scripts or confirmation on the ones you've already chosen. When you do that you come off as an outsider to the genre and yet you defend yourself as well versed. Very strange indeed but I shall leave you to it.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

Jesus! I've just asked for advice on sci-fi screenplays to read, not on advice on whether I should read them or not, or if it's a suitable genre for me. I'm sorry if I'm being an A-hole now, but what's so complicated about it? And if you don't have any recommendation to make, why bother to post to tell me how wrong my approach is or that I should know if I've watched enough sci-fi movies? Gee... I come off as an outsider to the genre just because I want to study it closely? Well, ok...

I've implied in the opening post, but if it's not clear: English is a second language to me, so I find it at times challenging to convey on the page what I want the reader/viewer to see.

Also, there are screenplays, like Cameron's Aliens, that most people agree are a must read because of the way they are written. So if anyone thinks "hey, you should totally read this or that one", well, I'd like to hear.

Again, sorry if I'm being an A-hole, but I'm beyond puzzled here...

Comment

The Matrix is a great script that demonstrates well how to write smooth action scenes and world building.
                      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I liked the PANDORUM script a lot. I'd also recommend ALL YOU NEED IS KILL and Spaihts' SHADOW 19.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                          The Matrix is a great script that demonstrates well how to write smooth action scenes and world building.
                          +1
                          "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

For the more "hard" Sci-Fi route:

Try Sunshine and Moon. Both pdfs available through a quick google search.I'm not sure of the rules of posting links to already produced scripts. Should be fine right?
                            -chris

Comment

Originally posted by SkyPolynomial View Post
                              For the more "hard" Sci-Fi route:

Try Sunshine and Moon. Both pdfs available through a quick google search.I'm not sure of the rules of posting links to already produced scripts. Should be fine right?
                              Not fine.
                              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Working...
                              X