No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Girls

Originally posted by SI_NYC View Post
    For openers they wouldn't be this colorless, boring, or whiny. Depek Chopra would probably consider offing himself after sitting through an episode.
    Hahahahahahaha...

Oh, come on, there have to be colorless, boring, whiny people of all ethnicities. Be inclusive, dammit

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
        Oh, come on, there have to be colorless, boring, whiny people of all ethnicities. Be inclusive, dammit
        too true. they're just under represented. who remembers Roj from What's Happening? and then another version with Erkle.

i watched this entire series in 2 sittings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIVa9lxkbus

Comment

I've got to say that, although I'm acting a bit like an advocate for the show, the bits I've watched were rather dull and boring.

-Who are "the girls"?
          -We are "the girls"! You're one of "the girls"!
          -Eh... no. I'm not one of "the girls".
          -Yes, you are.
          -No, I'm not.
          -Yes, you are.

Really?

(By the way, I think there's a black or latino man playing tennis in the background of that scene )

(Or maybe he's just incredibly tanned. Hard to tell since he's out of focus.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
            Hahahahahahaha...

This Brooklyn guy had a few thoughts on racial issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RH2_...93E9F6C415FA47

Comment

Originally posted by SI_NYC View Post
              This Brooklyn guy had a few thoughts on racial issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RH2_...93E9F6C415FA47

Rick Jeni. Miss that guy.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                The problem is, if you leave white people up to their "vision" without pulling their coat, every show in New York city becomes Friends. Or Sex in the City. Or Seinfeld. And so on.
                I always thought that Friends and Seinfeld were not just stories about "white" people but about white people who grew up in a specific socio-economic group.

The thing that always struck me about these two shows -- it seemed like the characters were still in high school cliques transplanted to single people in their late 20s/early 30s.

Cliques in high school are usually insular in terms of which socio-economic group their families fall in and when it's upper middle class the clique is usually white.

Then you have a show like the King of Queens -- working class -- and the lead couple's best friends are an African-American couple. Which is also realistic in terms of socio-economics. Working class neighborhoods are more diverse.

So maybe it's not so much about race, it's about the majority of sit-coms telling the stories of the upper middle class (and higher re: SATC for example).

It's also interesting that dramas set in police work or hospitals are always more diverse with African Americans, Latinos and Asians playing doctors or detectives or lawyers. It's just weird that none of them seem to be neighbors of Seinfeld, the Friends crew or the ladies of Sex and the City.
                Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

the world is what we make it....

or how we see it on tv.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                    I always thought that Friends and Seinfeld were not just stories about "white" people but about white people who grew up in a specific socio-economic group.

The thing that always struck me about these two shows -- it seemed like the characters were still in high school cliques transplanted to single people in their late 20s/early 30s.

Cliques in high school are usually insular in terms of which socio-economic group their families fall in and when it's upper middle class the clique is usually white.

Then you have a show like the King of Queens -- working class -- and the lead couple's best friends are an African-American couple. Which is also realistic in terms of socio-economics. Working class neighborhoods are more diverse.

So maybe it's not so much about race, it's about the majority of sit-coms telling the stories of the upper middle class (and higher re: SATC for example).

It's also interesting that dramas set in police work or hospitals are always more diverse with African Americans, Latinos and Asians playing doctors or detectives or lawyers. It's just weird that none of them seem to be neighbors of Seinfeld, the Friends crew or the ladies of Sex and the City.

That's so true. Look at the Norman Lear era (the greatest era in sitcom history, IMHO) where you saw minorites in different socio-economic class, poor (Sanford & Son) and rich (The Jeffersons). Maybe it's just that by the time the 1980s hit, with the notable exceptions of "The Cosby Show" and "A Different World", diversity in sitcoms faded because of Reaganism.
                    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

If you look at many of the NY based Sitcoms (with the exception of shows like SATC and Friends), many had a lot of notable guest and reoccurring minority characters. Though the major characters where Caucasian, shows like Night Court, Becker, and even Seinfeld looked like the damn UN.

On another note, was wondering if anyone else here has ever had the real life version of the male and female characters portrayed in Girls in front of you in line at a coffee shop and had the urge to call for their execution (because they were so self absorbed that they had no regard for the people behind them). It typically begins with not knowing what they want, a detailed discussion of all potential options with their friends and the people behind the counter, an attempt to negotiate fixed prices, and what must be a foreign exchange transaction in the payment process, due to the amount of time it takes. I would propose that if you run into them and if they reach the end of their transaction and they can't do the math to convert the nuevo sol into dollars, this would be a capital offense. Any thoughts?

Comment

"Race" comes up in this Sunday's NY Times Magazine piece, How Samuel L. Jackson Became His Own Genre. Here are a couple of those parts:
                        As an only child, he went to movies alone, he said, “to be taken out of my place and transported to another world.” Years later, when people questioned why he appeared in one turkey or another, he would answer, “Because it was a movie I’d seen as a kid.” One such dud, a remake of “Shaft,” was so horrible that Jackson was said to have refused to recite his lines because they were written by a white man. “Not true,” he said, when I asked about the incident. “I changed his lines so they’d sound like a black man,” he said. When the author countered that those were the words he had written, according to Jackson, “I said: ‘Yes, and you got paid for them. Now let me make you sound brilliant.’ ” Jackson had to say “the corniest line I ever heard in my life and make it believable,” he told me, and then laughed before delivering it again: “It’s my duty to please that booty.”

[...]

It was after “Jungle Fever” that Jackson began to see scripts that no longer had him wondering “which page I was killed on.” Most of those scripts “had Denzel’s fingerprints on them, but I had no issue with that.” Some (“White Sands,” “Amos & Andrew”) led to feature roles, but most ended up with him playing Sancho Panza to a host of white stars like Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis and Geena Davis. The secret to playing these sidekicks, he said, was to approach the part “as if I was the audience member hanging out” with the star — a selfless job, but he didn’t mind. Sometimes the sidekick role was written for a white character, and Jackson played it without color; other times he played the white role as a black man.
                        I recommend the entire article, which goes into many other aspects of his career and life.

While I like him in many roles he's played, the one I have the most fun watching him in is "Formula 51".
                        Last edited by Manchester; 04-27-2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

On another note, was wondering if anyone else here has ever had the real life version of the male and female characters portrayed in Girls in front of you in line at a coffee shop and had the urge to call for their execution (because they were so self absorbed that they had no regard for the people behind them).
                          You've been to that coffee shop too?
                          Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

What Girls needs is a very special episode guest starring Justin Wayne.
                            Last edited by odocoileus; 04-27-2012, 06:30 PM.
                            If you really like it you can have the rights
                            It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Girls with special guest star Samuel L Jackson

I have had it with these mother****ing hipsters in this mother****ing coffee shop!".
                              Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
                                Girls with special guest star Samuel L Jackson

I have had it with these mother****ing hipsters in this mother****ing coffee shop!".
                                Perfect. Sounds just like him.

The correct term I believe is neo-hipsters (or as one Brooklyn blogger calls them: fauxhemians). It seems a lot of their schtick is more about the neo hipster fashion than it is about any philosophy.

In NYC, there has always been a contingency of post-college well-to-do 20-somethings from Long Island or Conn. who move into "the city" with the help of parents paying rent on their apartments and their Hamptons summer shares. After about five years they marry someone their parents approve of and move back to where ever they came from.

Then the cycle begins again.
                                Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Working...
                                X