Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Marriage Story

As an attorney who never practiced "family law" (really, divorce and custody fights), this movie reminded me why I don't regret that decision for a hot second.

As a child of two divorces, I don't remember either of them being a non-stop laff riot. But apparently Noah Baumbach either remembers his differently or thinks that it's ripe for a more farcical take. However, rendering everything that isn't the one-on-one conflict between Adam Driver and Scarlett Johanssen's characters in caricature made it impossible for me to take those occasional outbursts of emotion seriously at all. Very much not for me.

Re: A Marriage Story

I'm glad someone posted about this movie. I really want to see it. The trailer is two trailers, one from his point of view; one from hers. Did the movie itself play with POV, like The Affair did, where we see the same events play out differently depending on whose POV we're in?

I can't find the script. The movie is not playing in SF and I really want to see it, because I've been working on a project about a relationship that unravels told from two POVs. I saw those trailers, and thought -- crap.

Sounds like it tone shifts...

Comment

Re: A Marriage Story

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
      I'm glad someone posted about this movie. I really want to see it. The trailer is two trailers, one from his point of view; one from hers. Did the movie itself play with POV, like The Affair did, where we see the same events play out differently depending on whose POV we're in?

I can't find the script. The movie is not playing in SF and I really want to see it, because I've been working on a project about a relationship that unravels told from two POVs. I saw those trailers, and thought -- crap.

Sounds like it tone shifts...
      The opening sequence is basically that trailer -- each one describing the other from their own POV, for a very specific reason. The rest of it is split roughly equally between the two, though i would say it is probably more the husband's story than the wife's (shocker, since it's not so thinly based on Baumbach's divorce from Jennifer Jason Leigh)

Yes, the tone is about 75% darkly comedic and 25% knock down drag out fighting. The LA audience I saw it with was enjoying the jokes (even though most of them are hacky, condescending New York stereotypes, shitting on the laid-back California attitude, which Woody Allen did much better 45 years ago in Annie Hall)

Comment

Working...
      X