No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Meyerowitz Stories

Has anyone else seen this film?

I watched it this evening on Netflix. It was too "New York" for my taste.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. The first half was honestly too annoying but I kept with it and then it got better during the second half.

I am not really one who likes the overlapping conversation type of films that the New York style is known for. I also did not care much for the editing where they just cut off someone in the middle of a sentence. The camera work was a bit odd as well.

But if you like that kind of thing then I would recommend it.

The actors all did a pretty decent job though. I thought Ben Stiller was very good. Nice to see him get into an emotional part. Was a little disappointed in Dustin Hoffman. He is one of my favorite actors, but he seemed to phone in this performance.

So I was just wondering what other opinions on this film are.

Re: The Meyerowitz Stories

I watched a Noah Baumbach movie once. Once.

(it wasn't this one though)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post

This is the first one for me. Guess your statement about sums it all up.

Comment

mine was Frances Ha, which i actually rather liked. but that probably had more to do with Greta Gerwig than the director. that said, i don't feel compelled to watch his other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post

I'm not really big on Noah Baumbach. That being said, I found myself really quite moved by The Meyerwitz Stories. The father/son and sibling relationships struck me as very real and I thought that the performances were all quite strong. And I especially like Adam Sandler who is capable of delivering quite a good serious performance when the material is there.

I think that the test of a movie that works is whether you find yourself going back to it -- not necessarily rewatching it but thinking about it. I watched when I got a screener some time ago and yet I find that there are scenes and moments in that movie that keep coming to mind, moments that have really stuck with me.

Meanwhile, many are the movies that I've seen since then that I've just about completely forgotten.

So -- something must be working with it.

NMS

Comment

I'm a Baumbach superfan - I've seen six or seven of the fourteen he's written/directed. Meyerowitz is one of my favorites. Baumbach definitely has a very small niche -- his movies are like character studies of affluent white people with first world problems. I can understand why some viewers would be turned off. But I know a lot of people like the characters in his movies and I'm always pulled in. I loved Adam Sandler's performance in this one. He's so much better in movies that he doesn't write and direct. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
            X