• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parasite

Anyone see this yet?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/parasite_2019

Re: Parasite

Caught the Bong Joon Ho Q&A screening last night at the Dome. I dunno...

I liked it better than Okja.

Without spoiling anything (there's a big narrative shift in the middle of act two), it's kind of a mix of Shoplifters and Jordan Peele's US. The first half-ish of the story before the reveal kind of zips along in a fun way. Afterward... it didn't all come together for me like it clearly has for most critics and audiences. The social commentary is unsubtle, to put it mildly. I do wonder, having had a similar reaction to the grifter family in Shoplifters, how much this is just my acculturation. I was trying to think of any American movies or shows about poor families who unrepentantly target the rich and nakedly steal from them. Maybe we need some! But at least for me they don't make for particularly sympathetic protagonists (though I concede it's quite possible they are viewed much differently in Japan and South Korea)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post

But at least for me they don't make for particularly sympathetic protagonists (though I concede it's quite possible they are viewed much differently in Japan and South Korea)
      I was reading somewhere online today to just go in cold because it's better to be surprised and that it's the best movie of the year to a bunch of people (critics). Though, every time I hear best movie of the year about something, I usually don't agree with that assessment. I couldn't really gather from the trailer what might happen aside from the initial set-up. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Caught it last night. Enjoyed it. Great pacing. 2+ hours, but it feels trim. Not a lot of wasted movement in this one.

From the perspective of a writer, what I appreciated was the efficiency of the craftsmanship. No long scenes dedicated to establishing the setting or characters. They just sort of throw you in there and the narrative rips along with enough turns and twists that the scenario never gets stale.

For me it wasn't some sort of transcendental masterpiece, but just a well-crafted piece of entertainment with some social relevance.

Comment

It's a very good movie. Definitely has its own style.

(spoilers)
          That shift wasn't as shocking to me since I watch a lot of international movies. But, I definitely felt sorry for the rich family, especially the clueless wife and the naive daughter...they didn't really deserve what befell them. The grifter family is kind of amoral, so I was siding more with the rich family.

Comment

I liked it quite a lot. Entertaining from start to finish, and I love that it defies genre compartmentalization. It's funny, it's thrilling and suspenseful, and its dramatic, all in one.

Comment

I thought the last moments were really genius... how he gives you the happy ending and then yanks it back.
              Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Working...
              X