No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biopics

Hi all,

I was wondering what your favorite biopic is. Also let us know why it's your favorite. (As an added bonus, please list what biopic subject you would love to see made.)

Is it your favorite biopic because the writing is very close to the actual person's life, or because the film takes liberties with the story making it fantastical, or because you just like the person/subject matter the story is based on, etc.?

I love a good biopic, even if it isn't exactly the way it happened in real life. One of my favorites is The Greatest Showman. It's not that close to reality but it is sure a lot of fun to watch and you just feel good at the end of it.

Re: Biopics

Ray (2004)

A Beautiful Mind (2001)

Chaplin (1992) — what a cast!

Walk the Line (2005)

Get on Up (2014)

Amadeus (1984)

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)

Coal Miner’s Daughter (1980)

Behind the Candelabra (2013)

The Buddy Holly Story (1978)

The reason these are some of my favorite biopics is that they are all so well crafted, acted, and edited.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

The Last Emperor

Comment

I've always wondered what the demarcation line of biopics is, vis-a-vis other genres. E.g., is Cecil B. De Mille's Ten Commandments a Moses biopic? Is Braveheart a biopic?

If so, then the latter would certainly be my favorite in the genre -- and that should indicate where my inclinations lie, when it comes to factual accuracy versus a good story ("Print the legend" is the right way to go, IMO.)

As for a favorite that's a bit closer to the traditional biopic model, I would choose A Song to Remember -- a Chopin biopic of the 1940s. Surprisingly moving, and a darned good story.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
          The Last Emperor
          +1 on The Last Emperor (1987). And how could I leave out The Aviator (2004) on my previous list?
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 12-21-2019, 09:57 AM.
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Working...
          X