Are there any good films based on mythology?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are there any good films based on mythology?

lol Jc.

I was just pointing out Pan's Labyinth as having mythological creatures.

A lot of Lord of the Rings is based of Norse myth especially with the rings
    One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

There's a film in the works about Odysseus. Brad Pitt attached.

And one about Hercules I think.

Comment

Percy Jackson is a YA series. Here's a link to the wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_J..._The_Olympians

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
          Percy Jackson is a YA series. Here's a link to the wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_J..._The_Olympians

damn.........my basic concept is the exact same as this. i just came up with it a few hours before creating this thread when it dawned on me "i wonder if there are any movies out there with this same idea". oh well.
          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

7th Voyage Of Sinbad
            Golden Voyage of Sinbad
            Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
            Jason and the Argonauts
            Clash of the Titans
            The Gorgon
            O Brother, Where Art Thou?
            Ulysses
            Oedipus the King
            Black Orpheus

All good ones.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
              does anyone know if perhaps Lord of the Rings is based on mythology or just from a book? besides the elves and wizards in general, the story itself was that made up originally in the books or based off some popular greek myth theme?
              As I understand it, Tolkien's goal in creating The Lord of the Rings was to create a mythology for England comparable to the rich myths of the Greeks, Norse, etc. Hence the exhaustive amount of work he put in. There's so much that never made it into LOTR itself. I skimmed his appendices with great pleasure, but I never made it through the Silmarillion.

Elves (alfar - Fortean would be able to put the diacritics in the right places ) exist in Norse mythology, and comparable beings exist in Welsh and Irish myths.
              "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
              ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Apparently they're making Clash of the Titans.

Comment

Beowulf http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0442933/ -- and that one had some name actors like Troy
                  also, i'm guessing the 300 was from an old mythological story was well

Comment

I never understood why 300 got made. I had an idea for a much more important battle, but dropped/shelved it for things requiring smaller budgets.

Gilgamesh is one of the oldest surviving written works and I heard a while back that somebody was going to do a film of it. Personally, I wouldn't mind a version of The Burnt Njal either, but please do watch Excalibur.
                    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                      does anyone know if perhaps Lord of the Rings is based on mythology or just from a book? besides the elves and wizards in general, the story itself was that made up originally in the books or based off some popular greek myth theme?
                      Tolkien compiled LOTR from all sources of mythology and even religion. There's a history channel special specifically on this, google it if interested.
                      Originally posted by Great White Mark
                      Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                        I never understood why 300 got made. I had an idea for a much more important battle, but dropped/shelved it for things requiring smaller budgets.

Gilgamesh is one of the oldest surviving written works and I heard a while back that somebody was going to do a film of it. Personally, I wouldn't mind a version of The Burnt Njal either, but please do watch Excalibur.
                        I think Hollywood should quit with the epics. They never get the history right. They take something like Bruckheimer's King Arthur and claim this is the historical Arthur, but as far as I can tell their research was confined to "Oh, he lived around the time the Saxons were invading Britain," a period about which they clearly knew nothing.

I thought Excalibur was a poor effort (sorry, Grandmaster), but at least it stuck to the Matter of Britain. If you're going to do an Arthur who isn't the historical one, at least follow the legends.

I heard so many terrible things about Beowulf that I didn't even want to see it. I hate to think what Hollywood would do to Burnt Njall.
                        "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                        ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Are there any good films based on mythology?

THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST

There are many movies based on biblical mythology. That one is my favorite.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Any Christmas movie with Santa is based on mythology.

There's also plenty of more modern stories that deliberately incorporate myth.

Any vampire or werewolf story is clearly based on mythology, with shows like Buffy steeped in it.

Films which revolve around battles between Angels & Demons are classic mythology.

Any rom-com which revolves around the idea of 'the one' or 'destiny' is clearly based on mythology.

The mythology of the 'super-hero' where an average guy (or, better still, an undog) is suddenly imbued with superhuman powers is an incredibly old myth - the name of the hero and the particular power just changes with each telling. (Samson is an obvious example)

I think we can find some examples of recent super-hero films recently ...

Mac
                            New blogposts:
                            *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                            *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                            *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                            *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

I'd be interested in finding a movie based on Old Norse mythology.
                              Originally posted by Great White Mark
                              Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Isaac View Post
                                7th Voyage Of Sinbad
                                Golden Voyage of Sinbad
                                Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
                                All good ones.
                                As I was going to type "YEAH, BUDDY!" I consulted with my husband. We determined, yes, no one says that anymore. So he suggested "Ooooh YEAH." But that seemed ridiculous as well. "Wizard" seems too 2007/2008. As does "Fo Schizzle."

So. I will say indubitabily-- I agree that those, indeed, are excellent films.

Comment

Working...
                                X