No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The King's Speech

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
    That era is really difficult because a LOT of people - public, political and everyday - were antisemetic at the time. And racist. And sexist. And generally believed in the WASP Male Above All Else.

While it's important, IMHO, to address this honestly, you'd be hardpressed to do a biopic of anyone from that era without asking some really hard questions about their moral positioning on all kinds of human atrocities then and soon to follow.

Enlightenment is always much brighter in hindsight.

This film looks great to me. I'm going to see it as soon as I'm back in the city and no longer lounging around on the beach.
    Great post, totally agree!

If King George made any racist/antisemitic remarks I didn't catch them. But at one point King Edward (Guy Pearce) says something about Hitler sorting out the European monarchy (cousin Wilhelm). And the woman he abdicates the throne to marry is referred to as a Nazi sympathizer in one scene I think.

I thought this movie was pretty excellent and for an Oscar baity period piece it eschewed many of the Oscar baity period piece cliches. Geoffrey Rush was absolutely brilliant.

Comment

a truly excellent film. 'nuff said, it's worth every penny. i quite agree with teris' observation: "this film blew me away (too)."
      life happens
      despite a few cracked pots-
      and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
        Great post, totally agree!

If King George made any racist/antisemitic remarks I didn't catch them. But at one point King Edward (Guy Pearce) says something about Hitler sorting out the European monarchy (cousin Wilhelm). And the woman he abdicates the throne to marry is referred to as a Nazi sympathizer in one scene I think.

I thought this movie was pretty excellent and for an Oscar baity period piece it eschewed many of the Oscar baity period piece cliches. Geoffrey Rush was absolutely brilliant.
        The real story behind the abdication is fasinating, however its obvious the larger audience (and the Academy) would rather not explore the House of Windsor's Nazi predilections at the expense of a contextualized feel good yarn.
        Frustrated? Click here for help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Comment

Originally posted by Mycroftbrett View Post
          The real story behind the abdication is fasinating, however its obvious the larger audience (and the Academy) would rather not explore the House of Windsor's Nazi predilections at the expense of a contextualized feel good yarn.
          or it's a movie about a man's struggle to overcome a personal obstacle and not about a royal family's political allegiances. what Bertie or Edward may or may not have felt about the Nazis has absolutely nothing to do with whether Bertie would be able to conquer his stutter

Comment

cool beans, windsor-v-nazis could be an interesting topic for a different film. although, i'm not sure how it's applicable to this film. specifically, this story is about the king's speech impediment. unless nazis helped or hindered the king from speaking properly...? then it'd damn sure be bogus to leave that out.

darn, joebanks beat me to the posting line.... good post dude!
            Last edited by asjah8; 12-31-2010, 12:07 PM.
            life happens
            and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by asjah8 View Post
              ...this story is about the king's speech impediment. unless nazis prevented the king from speaking properly...
              I think I'd actually pick that over X-Men.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                I think I'd actually pick that over X-Men.

stay tuned for a stealthy debate team of pre-war nazis intent on infiltrating various public speaking engagements...
                life happens
                and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                  or it's a movie about a man's struggle to overcome a personal obstacle and not about a royal family's political allegiances. what Bertie or Edward may or may not have felt about the Nazis has absolutely nothing to do with whether Bertie would be able to conquer his stutter
                  He was forced to overcome a personal obstacle becuase of his families political bias - a detail some screenwriters refer to as: "the inciting incident".

Comment

I think I'll definitely see it based on the hype from here and everywhere. I just watched the trailer for the first time, though, and I'd have to say it's something I'd never touch unless it came highly recommended. It feels like the process of someone trying to overcome their public speaking fears would not be interesting to watch at all. We shall see!

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                      I think I'll definitely see it based on the hype from here and everywhere. I just watched the trailer for the first time, though, and I'd have to say it's something I'd never touch unless it came highly recommended. It feels like the process of someone trying to overcome their public speaking fears would not be interesting to watch at all. We shall see!

I'm opting for True grit tonight but maybe next week...and then I can sling some propper $hit.

My loathing of the Royals aside, it does look like a damn fine movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Mycroftbrett View Post
                        He was forced to overcome a personal obstacle becuase of his families political bias - a detail some screenwriters refer to as: "the inciting incident".
                        the inciting incident in this script occurs long before either Edward abdicates the throne, or Germany declares war on Germany. those are simply complications to the plot that force Bertie to confront his stammer and fear of public speaking sooner than he would have otherwise. neither of them having to do with alleged Nazi sympathies in any event

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                          the inciting incident in this script occurs long before either Edward abdicates the throne, or Germany declares war on Germany. those are simply complications to the plot that force Bertie to confront his stammer and fear of public speaking sooner than he would have otherwise. neither of them having to do with alleged Nazi sympathies in any event
                          He wasn't on the hook to assume the responsibilities of King - The King's Speech - until his bro ran off with an (alledged) Nazi-American guy in drag. I gather the movie tells this differently.

Comment

Originally posted by asjah8 View Post
                            cool beans, windsor-v-nazis could be an interesting topic for a different film.
                            Windsors Vs Nazis Vs Zombies.

Writing it now.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                              checked this out today for the same reason. he's not trying to overcome his fear of public speaking. it's the fear of not being able to speak properly (those brits*, you know) without stuttering and sounding like an ____ . and he had to deal with personal/family psychological issues that are always well guarded to overcome the problem.

*here we let the sarah palins speak to the world. so embarrassing.

Comment

Saw this over the weekend and I thought it was wonderful. Highly recommend it!

Comment

Working...
                                X