X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
    Really?

People "who kill with knifes, or crowbars, or poison, or even bombs." (As in, the rest of the sentence.)

I didn't really think I was trying to hide it.
    I understand, but you and others don't seem to understand the difference between "well-regulated" and prohibition. No viable political entity in the US is calling for an outright ban on firearms that have been traditionally available to citizens. I'm assuming you're supportive of bans against civilian owning grenades, tanks, and bazookas. If 2A advocates and gun enthusiasts don't want a ban, then they must accept a significantly strengthened regulatory system: Annual background checks, testing, licensing, registration, etc. They can't have it both ways. We have an epidemic of gun murders in the US.

I asked you to define "sicko" because it aligns with the gun lobby's main assertion that only severely mentally ill people, i.e. sickos, commit murders with guns. This is demonstrably not true: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9015746.html 40,000 Americans/year are killed by guns.

As for the semantics surrounding what constitutes an "assault weapon," there can be and has been reasonable debate which can lead to an agreement that led to the assault weapons ban a couple of decades ago. The sad fact is, that there are many angry, disaffected "sickos" (mostly white men) in the US right now who envision themselves as Rambo vigilantes against whatever circumstances or forces (real or imagined) that have led to their position in life. We can also debate how our society has created so many distraught people, but the fact is we can't stand pat and do nothing. Nearly every mass shooting in the US after Aurora was committed with an AR-15 equipped with a high capacity magazine. The fact is, there is no clearcut criteria or definition that officially makes a gun an official "assault weapon." But what is clear, is that the AR-15 is the weapon of choice for US mass shooters on their ASSAULT of innocent civilians. Again, if you don't want to ban such weapons, then you must be prepared to accept a much more stringent system that regulates them.

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
      I understand...
      Apparently not.

I want to make murder illegal, to stop murder, I didn't mention guns. You're the one that seems to be crankin' out on the gun issue.

When murder is absolutely illegal, murders will immediately stop. It's only logical.

Thank you for expressing your views.

LET'S MAKE MURDER ILLEGAL ONCE AND FOR ALL!!! (c)
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Apparently not.

I want to make murder illegal, to stop murder, I didn't mention guns. You're the one that seems to be crankin' out on the gun issue.

When murder is absolutely illegal, murders will immediately stop. It's only logical.

Thank you for expressing your views.

So you're of the belief that the standard for success for all criminal and civil statutes is 100% effectiveness? Anything less than 100% effectiveness is evidence that there would be no difference in illegal behavior with or without them? If so, you're either being woefully ignorant or intentionally obtuse.

Comment

So you're of the belief that the standard for success for all criminal and civil statutes is 100% effectiveness? Anything less than 100% effectiveness is evidence that there would be no difference in illegal behavior with or without them? If so, you're either being woefully ignorant or intentionally obtuse.
          Why do you want to make everything so complicated?

I simply want to make murder illegal, thereby eliminating the scourge of murder.

As always, you're views are appreciated.

Comment

Why do you want to make everything so complicated?

I simply want to make murder illegal, thereby eliminating the scourge of murder.

As always, you're views are appreciated.

The assertion that something is "complicated" is subjective based on intellect and experience. I assert that building a circuit board is complicated, but experienced engineers and electricians are likely to find it less so.

You're a writer. You should be able to discern the difference between a complicated sentence and a simple one. Mine was a simple question: Do you believe that every law written must be 100% effective and perfect in order for it to be beneficial to society?

Comment

It is with much trepidation that wander into this fray, but ...

Guns have been more and more regulated over the past 30 years or so, yet mass shootings have gone up over that time. So I question whether modest changes to current regulations (and any changes would have to be modest in today's political climate) would move the needle.

A friend of a friend knows some FBI people, one of whom is an FBI profiler. According to this guy and some of his profiler buds, the best thing we can do to curb mass shootings is to deny the shooters any and all notoriety. No names, no photos, no body count comparisons to past shootings, etc. They note that the rise of the 24/7 news cycle has coincided with the rise of mass shootings. Now, is it reasonable to expect the press to play ball? I don't think so. Should we tell the press what they can and can't report on? Definitely not a fan of that, either. But this is apparently what the criminal experts think would solve the problem instead of more regulations. So there ya go. Feel free to disagree, just don't shoo-- er, don't stab the messenger.

Now, back to The Hunt. I haven't seen the film, but I have read the script. My initial reaction was that it wasn't liberals hunting conservatives. It was broad characterizations of liberals hunting broad characterizations of conservatives. I guess that's satire for you. But I didn't even feel like the writers were making much of a point, so for me it wasn't effective satire. There was too much stuff in it that I just couldn't take seriously. Plus, if you pull the liberal/conservative labels off the characters, the film doesn't change much. For me the writing style was eye-rollingly too-cool-for-school. Actually, maybe there was a point, because what I got was this: "Look at how divided the country has become! But we the filmmakers are neutral and definitely above it all, shining a light on this insanity for you guys."

Ultimately, if the film resembles the draft I read, then I don't think liberals or conservatives should lose sleep over it. It's just not something to be taken seriously.

Comment

The assertion that something is "complicated" is subjective based on intellect and experience. I assert that building a circuit board is complicated, but experienced engineers and electricians are likely to find it less so.

You're a writer. You should be able to discern the difference between a complicated sentence and a simple one. Mine was a simple question: Do you believe that every law written must be 100% effective and perfect in order for it to be beneficial to society?
                I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it almost seems like you are resisting the idea of eliminating murder, by making it illegal. Personally, I don't think that's a good place to be.

Obviously, it is your right to express "whatever" viewpoint you wish. (Even when others consider that viewpoint odious.) I won't judge you.

As always, you're opinions are appreciated.

Comment

All right everybody, this has wandered off track and for far too many pages. The topic was the movie being pulled from release for at least the time being. No one has cancelled anything, per se. It will probably see the light of day sometime next year or so. Or go SVOD, etc. Who knows?

But this thread has just devolved into more political discussion than anything, which is something we ask folks to not get into for many reasons. So if this debate somehow truly needs to keep going, then I'll have to move it into the ONE ON ONE section and/or please just wrap it up.

Thanks.
                  Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 08-23-2019, 06:04 AM.
                  Will
                  Done Deal Pro
                  www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cheese View Post
                    Ultimately, if the film resembles the draft I read, then I don't think liberals or conservatives should lose sleep over it. It's just not something to be taken seriously.
                    That was kind of my take on it. People had just been shot. What should you do?

I guess it's one of those "You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't" situations.

I watched the trailer before it was scheduled for release and it came across to me as juvenile. (But that also goes for a lot of the trailers I watch for comic book movies.)

I don't think it was ever going to be a blockbuster and I doubt a later release will change that very much.

Comment

The Hunt II The GOP is back

Bitter at the violent demise of their friends a group of young Republicans start hunting rich Sierra Club members in the isolated Rockies
                      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Cheese -- ScriptShadow said he felt the screenwriters were hitting the caffeine too hard, and were getting too impressed with their one liners. I read the script, and though I rarely agree with that guy, I had to agree.

A very caffeinated script that's become a movie that will probably not meet up to anyone's expectations and be dropped into the Jan/Feb releases.

I think that about wraps it up!

Comment

Crap. Another mass shooting in West Texas. This time some guy going around the city shooting at people. It finally ended outside a movie theater.

Comment

Working...
                          X