No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Overexposed on Blacklist?

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
    "Jesse's Gold". I deleted my post for my own reasons (In Voodoo being pretentious invites a hex one's self issued forth by the Id. Re: "Forbidden Planet"). But thank you. We'll see how it goes this year.

"A naïve young woman hijacks a semi-truck she thinks is hauling cigarettes when it's really carrying spent uranium fuel rods, and the U.S. government will do anything to get that truck back before those rods melt down."
    Nothing wrong with being proud of your hard work.

My script Wasteland: The Sixth State is on the top list and it's only received one download since last week. I'm thinking it's either the "Blockbuster" budget or the fact that I have a manager. My other script is in the top for the month, too. Just got another pro download today. Again the budget is high. Oh, and it's dark and violent.

Which brings up something I've been wondering about. Currently, I have a manager, but not an agent or lawyer, so technically, I'm both repped and not repped. I wonder how likely it is that an agent would see my spec in the "top uploaded list" and not bother looking at it because they believe I'm already repped?

Do agents even visit the site? I think they must, right? Some?

Saw Jesse's Gold up on the top lists, too. It's a cool concept. I'd definitely go see that. Looks like a winner. I write dark stuff, too. Had to show I could add levity (in Wasteland) while still writing a dark toned film.

Good luck with Jesse's Gold. You should be proud, those are great reviews.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Jesse really isn't dark. It's about forgiveness at its core. It's not depressing. But it has a sad ending - tragic - but you, the audience, will forgive her in your heart for whatever darkness she may present early on and leave the house feeling good about yourself. But it's edge-of-the-seat until that moment in the last two pages. Then you'll go back and see the damn thing again. Then you'll rent it.

It's starts out as an action thriller, morphs to drama, but ends as a tragedy (without tonal loss or lack of escalating suspense) making it very different. I think they'll like it if I can get it to the right people (probably Indie). We'll see how it does in Nicholl and then I'll know for sure where to target it.

I have no idea what they want and neither does anyone else including them. And I know that you know that too. So who knows? That's why I don't worry about overexposure on BL - I'm not there yet so any exposure is fine by me, even if it's overexposure - so bring it on. I'm sure you understand.

Good luck to you. I'm also sure you will do well (you got some good sheet too). Killer website - I hate you (not really, I need to do one too). But I sent you a friend request on Facebook anyway.
      Last edited by AE35-Unit; 07-06-2016, 08:35 AM.
      We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

So, it looks like people must have taken off early last week for holiday. Things might be picking up. Three pro downloads for Tracker and one for Wasteland since last night.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
          Jesse really isn't dark. It's about forgiveness at its core. It's not depressing. But it has a sad ending - tragic - but you, the audience, will forgive her in your heart for whatever darkness she may present early on and leave the house feeling good about yourself. But it's edge-of-the-seat until that moment in the last two pages. Then you'll go back and see the damn thing again. Then you'll rent it.

It's starts out as an action thriller, morphs to drama, but ends as a tragedy (without tonal loss or lack of escalating suspense) making it very different. I think they'll like it if I can get it to the right people (probably Indie). We'll see how it does in Nicholl and then I'll know for sure where to target it.

I have no idea what they want and neither does anyone else including them. And I know that you know that too. So who knows? That's why I don't worry about overexposure on BL - I'm not there yet so any exposure is fine by me, even if it's overexposure - so bring it on. I'm sure you understand.

Good luck to you. I'm also sure you will do well (you got some good sheet too). Killer website - I hate you (not really, I need to do one too). But I sent you a friend request on Facebook anyway.
          Wow, your jackets for your scripts are amazing. Great stories, great titles, too. Tickle the Dragon is especially intriguing.

My website was really easy to do. Did it all myself. When you're ready, let me know, and I can help you get started, best thing is it's pretty cheap--

Oh, and thanks for the kind words.
          Ciao~

Comment

Cool. Glad to know and thanks. I've done websites before for my day-job biz, but I really like the design of yours for what we do. I'll probably be hitting you up later for tips on what you used to do it.

And you will dig TICKLE THE DRAGON - just give me a two months more. It rocks, babydoll.

Stay loose.
            We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
              For those writers who do score well and get reps through BL, guess what? Your script was probably good enough to go to reps directly. Why waste your money and risk overexposing your material?
              And what if you send out over 150 queries to managers and agents and don't get a single read request? I put a script on BL that got no requests from queries and it got me an option. Not saying BL is perfect (way too expensive) but it can help, especially since managers and agents apparently trash queries automatically.
              Last edited by entlassen; 07-08-2016, 10:44 AM.

Comment

The BL mention does make a difference. The last time I queried mentioning the BL 8, I was at about a 33% request rate. My latest script hasn't been reviewed yet but I sent out 56 queries over the last week and got only 4 requests (about 7%).

Comment

Originally posted by Anointed View Post
                  The BL mention does make a difference. The last time I queried mentioning the BL 8, I was at about a 33% request rate. My latest script hasn't been reviewed yet but I sent out 56 queries over the last week and got only 4 requests (about 7%).
                  How prominent do you make the mention of your BL 8 score in your query? Is it buried in the second or third sentence of the first paragraph, or do you put into the very first line before you even get to the logline? Or do you put into the subject line of the email itself?

Just curious what is considered best practices.
                  Manfred Lopez Grem
                  WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by manfredlopez View Post
                    How prominent do you make the mention of your BL 8 score in your query? Is it buried in the second or third sentence of the first paragraph, or do you put into the very first line before you even get to the logline? Or do you put into the subject line of the email itself?

Just curious what is considered best practices.
                    Subject lines I've used: "Top Five BL Script", "Top Rated BL Script" or "#1 Blacklist Pilot," then a quick mention of the score in the body along with the logline.

In actuality you don't have to score an 8 to do that. You can do that (with maybe 6's or 7s) if you land on the top list.

Comment

Originally posted by Anointed View Post
                      Subject lines I've used: "Top Five BL Script", "Top Rated BL Script" or "#1 Blacklist Pilot," then a quick mention of the score in the body along with the logline.

In actuality you don't have to score an 8 to do that. You can do that (with maybe 6's or 7s) if you land on the top list.
                      Thanks! I like that: "#1 Blacklist Pilot". Now all I have to do is write one that scores that high
                      Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Thanks! I like that: "#1 Blacklist Pilot". Now all I have to do is write one that scores that high
                        I used in the subject line:

Black List Spec High Concept/High Rating - TRACKER

The body of the email was short:

Hello Michael:

I have a Black List spec available to download at [provide link here]. It received a professional evaluation of 8s with two 9s for dialogue and plot. It also has an industry pro rating of an 8.

If you find the logline of interest, I’d be happy to forward you a pdf copy or a dropbox link for your convenience or you can download it from the Black List link above.

Title: TRACKER

Genre: Sci-fi Action Thriller

Pitch: Silence of the Lambs meets Minority Report

Logline:

To catch a sadistic killer, an FBI Agent uses experimental technology to experience a killer’s memories in order to save his next victim, except to use it he must open his mind to the psychopath that murdered his wife and son.

I appreciate your time and consideration.
                        Sincerely,

Lisa

I received read requests somewhere in the twenties... I include a link to my personal website and my email.

A lot of people say you should mention something personal, I used to to that at the start, but feel now that really what matters is whether they like the logline or not. That's just my POV.
                        Last edited by finalact4; 07-08-2016, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                          I used in the subject line:

Black List Spec High Concept/High Rating - TRACKER

The body of the email was short:
                          Thanks for sharing your query email. It will definitely help me when that time comes. By the way, I read half your screenplay so far and it is looking really good! But then I got swamped with shooting days that last until next week. But first chance I get I will finish it and give you feedback.

By the way, my intention was originally to not read it at all until I had the time, but then I took a peek at the first page... 60 pages later I realized I was not going to get any sleep if I kept reading
                          Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Thanks for sharing your query email. It will definitely help me when that time comes. By the way, I read half your screenplay so far and it is looking really good! But then I got swamped with shooting days that last until next week. But first chance I get I will finish it and give you feedback.

By the way, my intention was originally to not read it at all until I had the time, but then I took a peek at the first page... 60 pages later I realized I was not going to get any sleep if I kept reading
                            Thank you, manfredlopez, for the kind words and the consideration. They are very much appreciated. The back half is my favorite-- I hope you enjoy the ending, and very much looking forward to your feedback-- may your shooting days be on schedule and under budget.

Working on finishing the second draft of the pilot adaptation to turn in this week to my manager.

Comment

Anyone else see the message pop up on BL about evaluations being only around a week turnaround? Get in fast it says. Pretty sure putting the price up to $75 and a drop in evaluations aren't connected at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenixman78 View Post
                                Anyone else see the message pop up on BL about evaluations being only around a week turnaround? Get in fast it says. Pretty sure putting the price up to $75 and a drop in evaluations aren't connected at all.
                                I haven't logged onto the site for a while but I saw a similar message on Twitter.

Wasn't that partially the point of raising the price? Seems like it must have been effective.

Comment

Working...
                                X