No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting an advisor on board

Hey guys

I am writing a new spec that deals with a very specific socio-political topic.

There is an author out there- a guy about my age, great writer- who published a non-fiction book chronicling his experiences in the very world I am looking to write about.

Is there a world in which:

- he helps me out in some sort of advisory role?
    or
    - he and I co-write the script together, but do not base it on his book?

as of right now there are 0 development funds allocated to my project so I couldn't throw him cash. "what's in it for him", is the obvious question. anything?

Re: Getting an advisor on board

And you're worried about the guy taking your screenplay idea and running with it, once you mention it to him, right?

Aside from that, the quick answer? Of course there is. You can negotiate anything.

But why not just do it all by yourself?

No problems, then. If it's a great, original concept, there's still a risk you'll be beaten to the punch, but at least you won't be worrying day and night about your partner's activities. Unless of course you pay for an iron-clad co-writing contract between you and the other guy, which you seem reluctant to just go ahead and do since you're here on this board soliciting free advice on what is essentially a legal matter. (Note: Maybe Will can surprise you/me and provide some sort of contract from his 'samples' pages)

The fact is, even once you finish said spec all by your lonesome, you'll still have to partner with the numerous usual parties (reps, producers, distributors, et al) in order to have your movie see the light of day. And remember that most of those are going to want to be VERY clear on who holds the rights on the IP before they take the investment plunge, and nothing can muddy the waters faster than an unclear writers' contract.

In addition, I've seen (and occasionally been guilty of) procrastination being the source of stuff like this: Worrying about things that either don't need to be in-mind at this point, or don't ever have to be. Procrastination comes in many different shapes and sizes, but please don't let stuff get in your way of writing a great story.

[Sorry, this is just another in my continuing series of "DIY" lectures for screenwriters.]

PS. If you're just looking for technical advice that this other person may have, there are numerous sites that offer tidbits that can help. For instance, without giving away too much of my idea, I've used sites (there are more than one) called "Ask a Scientist", where you can get some pretty darned impressive techno-garble to put in your script. But if you're really just looking to get an advisor who's coattails and success in related (eg. novel) endeavors will give you a boost, expect to give more than you may be prepared to, that's all.

Comment

Why not just reach out and say you're writing something set in the world he knows about, and you'd love to interview him? That might be enough to get what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
        Why not just reach out and say you're writing something set in the world he knows about, and you'd love to interview him? That might be enough to get what you need.
        Damn.

Comment

I had the same instinct as Jeff. I'd just reach out and ask if you can talk to him. If he writes in the non-fiction space, I'd assume he understands and has been in your shoes himself.

Comment

Thanks guys!
            I think that's excellent advice.
            I suppose the main reason for bringing the author in would be that he is a damn good writer and he has experiences I don't. So it might be that the interview process naturally progresses towards a collaboration without even planning it.
            We'll see!

Comment

It certainly could go that way. But I think I'd be cautious about taking on a writing partner without great deliberation - if the script gets traction/notice, it would make it harder for you to capitalize on it individually moving forward.

Comment

Working...
              X