Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for organizing a writing group?

Does anyone have any advice on organizing a screenwriters' group?

Do you do cold table reads? Or do you distribute pages before the meeting? Are there rules of any sort?
    Any advice on managing the group dynamics?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Tips for organizing a writing group?

I belong to one that meets every other week. A max of four people sign up to have up to 20 pages of their script read aloud and discussed at each meeting. The writers make enough copies for the members who are going to read parts, highlighting each reader's speeches, and maybe they print some extras for others to read along. Or some can read on their own laptops.

The author can control the discussion, ask specific questions and say what kind of feedback he or she wants. You can decide to create ground rules about how to balance the positive with the negative.

On the in-between weeks in our group, someone can arrange a full script read, sometimes inviting pro actors. If you're having a full script read, you have to bring everyone dinner.

Comment

I am part of two groups.

Group 1) We do 5-7 pages, so a scene or two or three, and people just bring enough copies for the group and assign parts. In a two hour time period, we get to about 4-5 people this way. This one is a meetup, so we have random people showing up.

Group 2) We do two people a week, 30 pages read, in a group of maximum 6 people. Private group.

I like the group 2 style more, but you have to get writers that know their craft/ are passionate and will come every week. You also have to be okay with not having your stuff read every week. Both groups meet every other week.

I also like the style of reading before meeting, which is what my novel writing group does, but for screenwriting we just haven't gotten to that yet.

Feel free to send any questions if you have 'em.
      www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
      http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

I've been in two groups since I moved to LA - one that worked and one that didn't. Both had the same basic structure, which I liked - whoever had something to read would send their script to everybody else a few days before the meeting, then everyone would read and write up their notes. In the actual meeting, we all discussed what worked, what didn't, and what suggestions we had for improvement.

The first group that didn't work as well had refreshments provided by the person whose house we were meeting at, which was nice.

The reason it didn't work so well was, quite simply, because the people in it weren't so serious. They either didn't care as much about screenwriting or they just didn't take the time to carefully read the material. The other group was smaller but filled with talented, dedicated people who never failed to read the script and give insightful notes. In the end, that was the heart of the difference.

One tip, though, that is pretty universal - always have water.

I also sat in on a writers group once to decide if I wanted to join, but I decided not to. It was a neat group, though - really big. The members pay a fee, and they sign up ahead of time if they have pages to present (only a certain amount of pages - never a full script). In the actual meeting, actors perform their pages out loud, after which time the group leader moderates the notes session. People raise their hand and give their notes when called on while the writer listens. It was a neat and orderly group, which is why I opted out. I'm a blurter. I am not patient enough to wait my turn. I also like the discussion part of a good notes session, where we all bounce ideas off each other. but there were people in that group who absolutely loved the structure, and there is something to be said for hearing your words out loud.
        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

what's worked (hopefully) for me so far:

1. First belonged to an online writing group that was features-oriented, moderated by a produced writer. Usually between 10 and 15 members at any given time. Most people posted 10-15 pages a month for review and each member had a minimum # of reviews per month (you could always do more, obviously). That was great for me when I was learning the craft and gave me a solid foundation in things like structure, writing visually, and using an active voice.

2. When I decided to be more TV-focused, I hooked up with a local group in LA of 3-4 like-minded writers who were at about the same level. Once a week in person meetings, with 10-20 pages per week during a typical script cycle. Just go around the table and give constructive criticism. I appreciate this format because it allows for more of a dialogue with the group members than posting a critique to a board. Also, keeping the size smaller seems to make for a more focused discussion session.

But from both of my experiences, the main takeaway: (1) work with others who are willing to pull their own weight within the group; (2) find members who are at about the same point in their development as a writer as you; and (3) GROUP UP WITH PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO TAKE AND GIVE NOTES IN A HEALTHY AND PRODUCTIVE WAY.

Comment

GROUP UP WITH PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO TAKE AND GIVE NOTES IN A HEALTHY AND PRODUCTIVE WAY.
            Damn, I knew there had to be a catch!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
              writers who were at about the same level. [...] find members who are at about the same point in their development as a writer as you
              How do you go about figuring out this aspect of a writing group dynamic? I've always wondered. Seems like a delicate undertaking.
              "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
              Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Originally posted by WaitForIt View Post
                How do you go about figuring out this aspect of a writing group dynamic? I've always wondered. Seems like a delicate undertaking.
                Ask other potential members what their backgrounds are? E.g., how many scripts have you written, how long have you been writing, are you repped, etc.

But then reading each others' samples will probably also tell you on the page where everyone is in the process

Comment

Thanks for the advice so far.
                  I like the idea of sharing pages before the gathering so people have time to give thought to what they're reading. But hearing it aloud is always helpful.

Comment

There's going to be a difference in the level of notes you'll be giving and getting depending on whether a group accepts anyone who shows up or you have to have your work vetted before you're invited to join.

Comment

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it might help...

http://www.backstage.com/news/writing-buddies/

(FYI: This was an interview I participated in for Backstage magazine.)
                      Come visit me at https://www.facebook.com/jimvinespresents?ref=hl!

Comment

You gotta hang out with people and see how serious they are truely about writing. Some people will waste your time and not read or give comprehensive notes and others will not show up.

Comment

Working...
                        X