Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Eternity's Gate

it is maybe one of history's greatest ironies that Vincent Van Gogh died having sold only one painting during his lifetime. "At Eternity's Gate" (also the title of one of Van Gogh's last paintings in 1890) makes a compelling attempt at putting us in the mind of Vincent, and frequently seeing the scenes through his eyes. Or what director Julian Schnabel posits Van Gogh's first-person view of the world might have looked like (represented onscreen with a persistent yellow tint and fractured halfway down the frame). Schnabel's own roots as a painter himself give the film a more abstract take on the typical movie biopic. shots and cinematography, especially in the Arles countryside, are infused with the same impressionistic feel as Van Gogh's works.

Despite being 25 years older than Van Gogh at the time of his death, Willem Dafoe inhabits the spirit of the artist completely, not only the passion for his craft but also the madness and despair when contemporary society failed to respond to his vision (figuratively and literally) as expressed on the canvas. Schnabel seems to take a couple factual liberties with the details of Van Gogh's death -- it might not have been the suicide that history has assumed -- and a purported sketchbook unearthed in Arles in 2016, 126 years after Vincent's death. but the questions it poses about the nature of creativity and what price greatness? remain essential truths.

Re: At Eternity's Gate

Good film. I saw it at a screening where Dafoe did a Q & A. There was no stunt painter for the film. Schnabel actually taught Dafoe how to do the brush strokes he'd need to use to paint like Van Gogh, and he mastered it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joaneasley View Post
      Good film. I saw it at a screening where Dafoe did a Q & A. There was no stunt painter for the film. Schnabel actually taught Dafoe how to do the brush strokes he'd need to use to paint like Van Gogh, and he mastered it.
      i wondered about that! he certainly made it look like credible

Comment

He sure did. I never would have guessed if he hadn't said that.

Comment

Working...
        X