No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadlines and stimulants

Hey all
    So I signed a contract before the holidays and took it real slow for a cool 4 weeks only to realize I’m a little under half way through the agreed-upon timeframe. Cue record scratch. I have 5 weeks to present a draft and I’ve written 12 pages (they’re real good!)
    I have every single beat worked out, down to page count (thank you Paul Schrader) but I’m still a little worried about knocking out 120 pages in a month.

1) is that humanly possible?
    2) does adderall affect the quality of writing?

The second point is interesting because a friend found that he’d be writing 10-15 pages a day on adderall but that only 1-2 were any good. He said the drug made him jump around narratively and basically he ended up with a mess of a script. He’s not a big outliner however so I assume he was plotting as he wrote which might have been the issue.

I on the other hand figured out every scene so I am wondering if I’ll have a better time of it.

Thoughts?

Re: Deadlines and stimulants

Try cocaine instead?

Comment

You don't need drugs, you need discipline.

Sit in the chair.

Write.

You've got the beats written out, so it suggests your story is broken. No more excuses. You have 35 days and 108 pages. That's just over 3 pages per day. Amateur night, and you're no amateur.

You've got this, without anything more than caffeine and sleep.

Comment

God bless you Mr Pen.
        Sometimes a bit of tough love from a stranger is all a lazy writer needs

Comment

You need three things -- caffeine, a good workout schedule and a cave. Get up, take a long walk/workout and then sit down with your pot of coffee and write for 6-10 hours a day. I have written things fast. One 90-page script in three days that wasn't good, but then another 110-page script in two weeks that didn't need so much rewriting. You need to clear your schedule, get all the food you need for like four days at a time, and then ride a steady drip of coffee.

If I were in your shoes, I would aim to write the rough draft in 10 days and then spend time rewriting, like getting through three more drafts. I always make the biggest improvement between the 2nd and 3rd draft. From 1st to 2nd draft, I often break things.

Just my two cents. Pharmaceuticals will just mess you up. If you've ever been a smoker, then nicotine gum can give you a better "focus" high than speed. YMMV.

Go for it!

Comment

i can't speak for what will work for you, but it you have it already planned out well it shouldn't be a problem.

i wrote an epic sci-fi action piece over 4 1/2 weekends writing 12 - 14 pages each Saturday and Sunday and didn't have time to rewrite during the week.

i didn't need drugs or anything more than the normal caffine from two cups of coffee. i also had a glass of wine.

it takes discipline. plain and simple... a$$ in chair.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Thanks friends!
              Truthfully I tried taking adderall once and I felt like a grinding, sweaty mess.
              Hello coffee my old friend...
              Speaking of asses in chairs... have you tried the standing desks?

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
                Thanks friends!
                Truthfully I tried taking adderall once and I felt like a grinding, sweaty mess.
                On a serious note, yes I use a standing desk. It's great. Keeps my energy up and my back/legs feeling good. You can get one on Amazon for under $140. Definitely worth the investment.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
                  Thanks friends!
                  Squirrel!

Did you make your three?

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                    On a serious note, yes I use a standing desk. It's great. Keeps my energy up and my back/legs feeling good. You can get one on Amazon for under $140. Definitely worth the investment.
                    and you can write for 12 hours standing? I never understood the appeal. clearly i'm ignorant to their value.
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

You have everything worked out (the beats).

And you are worried whether you can write 4 pages a day for 30 days?

You could easily write twice that number every day.

Really ... I mean, speechless here.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                        and you can write for 12 hours standing? I never understood the appeal. clearly i'm ignorant to their value.
                        Well, no, not 12 hours (as if I write that long anyway). I do a couple of hours and break away or lower the desk and sit for a short time.

The value, for me, is that I don't have to go to spend $60 at the chiropractor every week.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                          You have everything worked out (the beats).

And you are worried whether you can write 4 pages a day for 30 days?

You could easily write twice that number every day.

Really ... I mean, speechless here.

Yeah, I'm a little nonplussed too.

I write 3-4 pages an hour. More, if they're dialogue heavy.
                          ==========

Comment

I know sometimes it can be hard to get the pages out and we've all been there. I assume you're being paid for this though. It's a job like any other and you have to get the pages out. Don't be precious about the pages. If they aren't up to scratch they can be re-written. Once you get into the flow it should be easier.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.
                              Last edited by TravisPickle; 01-21-2019, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X