Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #81
altoption

Default Re: SPOILER (warning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencey View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Yup. End was all talk, no action. What a letdown!
altoption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:38 AM   #82
iembalm
User

Default Re: No Country For Old Men (no spoilers)

wcmartell wrote:
Quote:
Wait, Josh Brolin got killed? I'm not sure I saw that. I saw some dead people on the floor of a motel room. I saw Brolin's wife saying she buried her mother just before she gets killed... but I'm not sure any of those dead guys are Brolin and if one was, why didn't the wife mention it?
Tommie Lee Jones silently taking off his hat as Moss' wife approaches the hotel room - which is surrounded by police cars - and her mournful reaction didn't tip you off?
iembalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:34 AM   #83
Cycstorm

The camera panned as he looked down at the bodies on the floor. You could see one was Josh Brolin.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:37 AM   #84
j over

The movie has won the Best Film, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Ensemble Cast awards from the NBR (the National Board of Review of Motion Pictures)...no surprises there, really.
j over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #85
JoeNYC

Martell wasn't the only one who wasn't 100% sure that was Moss lying dead in the doorway. I wasn't 100% sure right off either. I'll bet there are others who had the same reaction.

The reason I wasn't sure was because of a combination of things:

The camera angle that the filmmakers used was an upward shot of Moss lying prone. Not a clear shot of his face. The only clear, distinguishable markings were the same body size and that the person had a moustache like Moss.

Moss' death, was so abrupt and truncated, I was thinking it was a twist, where it was a mistaken identity kill by the Mexicans.

Then Moss' wife arrived and the Sheriff approached her removing his hat and acting regrettable about what he has to tell her, I'm thinking maybe that was Moss, but because of the above, I still wasn't 100% sure.

Bell at the morgue finally convinced me that the dead guy was Moss.

I was pissed at the filmmakers for not making this clear from the beginning with a shot of Moss' face when Bell looked down at the body.

I was pissed because trying to figure out if that was Moss or not confused and distracted me, taking me out of the story for a while.

This wasn't the only time that the filmmakers confused and distracted me, taking me out of the story.

There were some plot holes that were ridiculous that could have been easily avoided.

PS: But I'll still give this movie three stars. Just not a perfect four like a lot of critics and moviegoers are doing.

Last edited by JoeNYC : 12-06-2007 at 03:33 PM.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:50 AM   #86
Republic of Stephen

Yeah, the third act completely falls apart.

SPOILER

To have Moss (Brolin) go out like that was shameful. He didn't have to live, but he sure as hell didn't have to die off-screen!!!

And what's the point of having a character like Sherriff Bell (Jones) if he isn't going to come face-to-face with his antithesis, Chigurh (Bardem)?

The ending just doesn't do the characters justice, and for that, it's unforgivable.
Republic of Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:18 AM   #87
Terrance Mulloy

**********SPOILER**********

What I wanted to know was -- who the hell ran off with the cash? Mexicans? I saw Jones driving towards the motel and we see a couple of people jump into a 4X4 with the cash and scream off into the sunset. I'm assuming he got drunk with that woman by the pool, and she had a few thugs staying with her, and after a drunken argument, they shot him?

The whole film bristled with a growing intensity - driving to a point where I thought there was going to be this really great showdown between Anton and Moss, only to have it all go awol in the third act. The third act just went nuts with all these parallels and symbolic babble about dreams and Jones' lack of understanding about evil and modern society etc.

The Coen Brothers did a great job in the filmmaking sense, and the first two acts are stellar, but they seemed to have forgotten what kind of film they were making by the third act. It's like they said - ok, let's take out two of the main elements the audiences will be following - Moss and the cash - and delete them both offscreen. It's almost like the third act is forcing you to forget everything you've been rooting for in the first half of the film.

I enjoy elevated cinema, but when it becomes an IQ test, it grows old real fast. Never the less I enjoyed it, because from a writers viewpoint, the dialogue was just so darn good and that Chigurh guy makes Satan look like a pre-school teacher.

It just could of had a cracker of an ending, but I guess they were being faithful to the novel. I think I'll watch it again, because I missed a lot of stuff in the last hour.

Last edited by Terrance Mulloy : 12-29-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Terrance Mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:21 AM   #88
Goon Squad

to those who haven't seen it yet - listen very closely to TLJ's opening speech - it is the reason the film ends the way it does. And why the ending makes sense.

Voice Over

The crime you see now, it's hard to even
take its measure. It's not that I'm afraid
of it. I always knew you had to be willing to
die to even do this job - not to be
glorious. But I don't want to push my
chips forward and go out and meet some-
thing I don't understand. You can say it's my job to fight it but
I don't know what it is anymore.

...More than that, I don't want to know. A
man would have to put his soul at hazard.

... Ho would have to say, okay, I'll be
part of this world.

Goon Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:24 AM   #89
Goon Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
**********SPOILER**********

What I wanted to know was -- who the hell ran off with the cash?

It's a MacGuffin - the money never mattered.

Goon Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #90
DramaKing
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post
to those who haven't seen it yet - listen very closely to TLJ's opening speech - it is the reason the film ends the way it does. And why the ending makes sense.

Voice Over

The crime you see now, it's hard to even
take its measure. It's not that I'm afraid
of it. I always knew you had to be willing to
die to even do this job - not to be
glorious. But I don't want to push my
chips forward and go out and meet some-
thing I don't understand. You can say it's my job to fight it but
I don't know what it is anymore.

...More than that, I don't want to know. A
man would have to put his soul at hazard.

... Ho would have to say, okay, I'll be
part of this world.
That explains nothing other than the cop has lived a very sheltered life and fighting something he doesn't understand - and yet in the film he seems to fully understand it and almost gets the killer because of that understanding.

The third act is a mess. There is no deeper meaning to that mess. It's just a mess.
DramaKing is offline   Reply With Quote